The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gents,

First sorry, this post is damn near 100% vanity. I get a number of questions on various online sites about the mods to my Exige so I figured this was the place to keep them all in one post that I can update as the build progresses. At this point I've upgraded basically every system of the car from motor/power, transmission, brakes, suspension, aero, safety, interior, etc. While there are still a number of things on the list they are the big ones: drysump oil system, sequential transmission, cage/fire suppression. I couldn't be happier with the performance on the car and can't imagine any other car I'd rather have. I feel rather lucky that even if I hit the lottery tomorrow there's nothing I'd replace my Exige with - I would pour more money into mine to "finish" it but there's no other street based car I'd rather have. So with that here's the full list.

As always I welcome an input, thoughts or opinions on future mods, questions about what/why I've done and any bashing of some of the dumber things I've maybe done (expensive brushed indicator stalks on a track car, really??). Oh and because we all like pretty pictures (and @Vantage requested it) here's a shot from Road Atlanta in 2013

Here's one of my quicker laps around High Plains Raceway in Denver. 3 seconds off my fastest but one of the better videos I've done, definitely the best audio I've gotten.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Supercar

Engine bay
357whp / 260 wtq
BOE Rev400 Supercharger
Front mount intercooler
ARP headstuds/rod bolts
Mahle 10.5:1 pistons
Forged crank/connecting rods
Stock block (3k miles at build)
Jim Clayton Stage 3 head
Stage 3 cams
Ferra valves
Eibach springs
BOE Catch cans
Sector111 gPan3
BOE Fuel surgetank
BOE Coolant surgetank
BOE Fastworks custom dyno tune
Setrab rear oil cooler

Drivetrain
Sector shift re-inforcer
Sector TransElixir fluid
Rebuilt trans with JUBU 3rd/4th
ACT HDDX race clutch
Ultralite-2 oil pressure gauge
Ultralite-2 oil temp gauge
Ultralite-2 voltmeter

Exhaust / Intake
ITG Cold Airbox
Force Fed headers
Decat
BOE QuarterStick race exhaust

Brakes / Suspension
Sector 111 Ultra discs
XX stainless steel lines
BOE Ti shims
Pagid RS14 pads
RBF600 fluid
BEO Vented pistons
Penske double adjustable coilovers
Hypersport 550/800lb springs
BWR race swaybar and bushings

Visual/Aero
Sector carbon front splitter
APR canards
APR carbon side scoops
APR GTC-200 carbon wing
BOE shear panel
BOE rear diffuer
Front brake calipers powdercoated black
All exterior bolts powdercoated black
All signal markers blacked out
Taillights tinted
Carbon wrapped interior pieces
Tinted windows
Built-in power cord for Passport 9500xi
Stereo delete
All interior bolts powdercoated
Black lotus emblems all around
Stealthbulbs
Custom brushed alunimum indicator stalks
IMRP Side skirts
Full interior delete
Full HVAC delete
~1800 lbs empty/dry

Safety
Tillet B5 carbon seats
Scroth 6 point hybrid belts
Safecraft fire extigunisher
Sector extigunisher bracket
BBHook rear tow hook
Sector front tow hook
Airbag delete
3 point belt delete

Convienence
BWR wheel stud kit
Interior carpet delete
OMP XXX wheel
Sector 111 qrHub quick release
Softtop rails installed
Braile 15lb battery
RLS milled battery bracket
Traqmate Complete data logger
RLS milled phone mount for Traqmate
Micro USB charger built into dash
Custom glovebox panel
CoolShirt 6qt bag system
LED footwell interior lights
Chasecam / 16GB recorder
Contour / Hero cameras
Traqdata II - RPM, Brake, Throttle, Oil Pres
FAST CoolShirt system
BOE Clam Hinge
Motorola UHF radios

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice Ross, how about some pictures to round out the initial list?
There you go my friend, edited the first post to include a picture of her in her natural habitat, the track. Specifically Road Atlanta. I have, err, a *few* pictures of her so could post more but that might be my all time favorite. I have tons of pictures during various builds but to me those are rather boring as we all have motors and suspensions, etc. Where my car is most unique is on the outside, like all Elige's she garners quite a bit of attention at track days. As I usually run with the Porsche and BMW clubs I enjoy that she gets far more attention than their cars do, much to their consternation!

Again I welcome any and all inputs on my various mods, where you think I should go next and what I've done wrong.

-Ross

·
craigyirush
1,561 Posts
Is she still street legal? I'm curious how far one can go down the track rat route and still use the car on the road? I'd also ask how much it all cost but it seems impolite somehow :)

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Street legal - yes and no. The main issue is I'm cat-less and have catch cans so open system there so I know it wouldn't pass emissions and should fail a visual inspection. That said I could slap a cat on and hope they don't see the catch cans (doubtful they would) as I'd tell them the back doesn't open unless you take the roof off, etc. So yes, I think you can do a build like mine and still pass emissions, you'd just have to do some work each year. I say no as I'm not going to do that anymore as at this point I hate driving it on the street. Once I took out the whole HVAC system it really became uncomfortable as no heat/AC is rough when you need and in the mornings if the windshield fogs there's little you can do. It's also just so insanely loud, both audibly and visually that it gets too much attention. I don't think I've ever returned to it to find it alone, someone is always looking, taking pictures, etc. And while that's cool and everyone I've ever spoken to is really nice and complimentary I sorta don't like that level of attention. Plus right now I'm driving a Jag XF-R that is just so epic on the street that I wouldn't even consider taking the Lotus. The only thing I'll miss is Cars and Coffee but at least the Jag is decent for that.

As for cost not impolite at all - at least not in my book and especially from a fellow owner. I'd guess all-in with all my mods, including the second set of wheels, etc. I've got nearly $50k in it. The motor build with BOE (which was a bunch of little stuff too) was nearly $30k on its own. At today's prices I'd guess it would be between $80-90k to replicate her. I'll admit sometimes when I make a mistake on the track and spin/go-off I think about how much money I really am throwing around and that it'd be difficult for me to replace it if something awful happened. That said I plan to own it indefinitely and I've spent that $50k over the past 5 years so only the big motor build was a one time big check. I figure that once I'm "done" I'll have close to $130k in it. In some ways silly give I paid $200k for my house!!!

-Ross

·
craigyirush
1,561 Posts
Thanks, Ross. I also wouldn't drive it on the street if I had your Jag...and probably best not to think of the $$ at risk as you take a corner at speed.

Here in Cali we pay $500k and up for the most basic house. If I moved, maybe I could alter the ratio of my home value/to value of Lotus mods in favour of the latter!

·
Banned
170 Posts
Some select photos of the custom stuff done would be nice...brushed aluminum stalks, powder coated fasteners, etc.

Although there would not be much to see from the radio delete or the HVAC delete, a photo of how far you went with the interior delete would be interesting to see...include where you've mounted the additional gauges...

and..."hybrid belts"...WTF is that?

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some select photos of the custom stuff done would be nice...brushed aluminum stalks, powder coated fasteners, etc.

Although there would not be much to see from the radio delete or the HVAC delete, a photo of how far you went with the interior delete would be interesting to see...include where you've mounted the additional gauges...

and..."hybrid belts"...WTF is that?
Ok, you got it. She's in my trailer at the moment but once I unload her today I'll snap pictures of the unique stuff.

I'm not really sure why they are called hybrid belts - the driver's shoulder straps narrow down to 2" so they fit a HANS correctly and the 5/6 points come up between your legs and go out sideways so there's no strain on the center, right on your "old chap" as James May would say. They are just fabric that the lap belts loop through so there are only 4 connection points on the belt lock. Maybe it's hybrid as you can wear them 4 point (I do that when on the street) and then go 6 when you're on the track.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
The "hybrid" refers to the style of sub straps Schroth makes. Compare to their Profi and Formula products intended for touring cars and single seaters. Has nothing to do with being able to wear as four point.

The Hybrid Style harnesses is defined by its special Anti-sub strap setup with two separate straps that loop around the lap belt latches before clicking into the cam lock (See Pictures). This arrangement is much more comfortable for the driver, and is also safer. Generally in tight cockpits, drivers will wear the restraint looser than is recommended purely because a regular Anti-sub strap is uncomfortable. The Hybrid restraint removes the problem, curing the symptom.

·
shay2nak
25,205 Posts
With your setup, do you get any exhaust smell coming into the cabin with the windows down?

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With your setup, do you get any exhaust smell coming into the cabin with the windows down?
Yes, absolutely I do. In fact at times it can be pretty strong. Earlier this year I had a private student puke in the car partially due to the smell getting to him. He said everything added up with how loud, fast, intense and with the smell it just got to him and came over him quickly.

In fact this weekend I was fueling the car with 100 octane at the track and obviously the fill sensor on the pump wasn't working as all of a sudden fuel spewed all down the side of the car. Was pretty rough to drive it for the next few hours until the smell dissipated. I've had a few guys describe my car as smelling like Super Glue and honestly that's a pretty close comparison. I don't really notice it any more as I suppose I'm just used to it. It's probably slowly killing me by poisoning me.

As for the hybrid belts thanks for correcting me as I really wasn't sure what that meant!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Great thread, Ross. I love the livery you have on the car.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great thread, Ross. I love the livery you have on the car.
Thanks, obviously I'm a fan too. When I finally got to the point where I really only drive it on the track I decided I could go as bat-sh!t crazy with the design as I wanted as I primarily care what it looks like in my victims rear view mirror!

I see you're in Atlanta, not to derail my own thread too badly I'm originally from Gainesville and lived in Buckhead the last few years I was there before moving to Colorado in '99. Finally got to run Road Atlanta 2 years back, my mother lives in Flower Branch less than 10 miles from the track. If only her Corvette were a manual I'd have something I could have some fun in when I visit. Oh, and that's my 74 year old mother's 3rd Corvette after having a Z06, 2 Mitsubishi 3000GTs (including a VR4), an Rx8, Rx7, 280Z and - a Lincoln Town Car. Yeah, one of those was not like the others!

-Ross

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Thanks, obviously I'm a fan too. When I finally got to the point where I really only drive it on the track I decided I could go as bat-sh!t crazy with the design as I wanted as I primarily care what it looks like in my victims rear view mirror!

I see you're in Atlanta, not to derail my own thread too badly I'm originally from Gainesville and lived in Buckhead the last few years I was there before moving to Colorado in '99. Finally got to run Road Atlanta 2 years back, my mother lives in Flower Branch less than 10 miles from the track. If only her Corvette were a manual I'd have something I could have some fun in when I visit. Oh, and that's my 74 year old mother's 3rd Corvette after having a Z06, 2 Mitsubishi 3000GTs (including a VR4), an Rx8, Rx7, 280Z and - a Lincoln Town Car. Yeah, one of those was not like the others!

-Ross
Very cool. I'm currently living in Buckhead now, actually. It's definitely not very Lotus friendly, but like you said, Road Atlanta is close and so are some great mountain roads. CO is on my short list for places I'd like to move to eventually, it looks and sounds very idyllic.

/and now back to the scheduled topic

·
shay2nak
25,205 Posts
Yes, absolutely I do. In fact at times it can be pretty strong. Earlier this year I had a private student puke in the car partially due to the smell getting to him. He said everything added up with how loud, fast, intense and with the smell it just got to him and came over him quickly.

In fact this weekend I was fueling the car with 100 octane at the track and obviously the fill sensor on the pump wasn't working as all of a sudden fuel spewed all down the side of the car. Was pretty rough to drive it for the next few hours until the smell dissipated. I've had a few guys describe my car as smelling like Super Glue and honestly that's a pretty close comparison. I don't really notice it any more as I suppose I'm just used to it. It's probably slowly killing me by poisoning me.

As for the hybrid belts thanks for correcting me as I really wasn't sure what that meant!
wow... haha!

I don't really drive with the windows down anymore. If I do, my clothes will reek. :wallbang: I guess there's nothing I can do about it other than changing the exhaust system. I'm just surprised how it can enter the cabin when the car's moving forward. I'm wondering if there's some sort of deflector or something that can be installed near the exhaust tip to change the flow. I'm guessing the air out from the diffuser pushes the exhaust gas up over the back?

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed, seems in airflow would be pushing it down and away, I've never quite understood that myself. Did a 90 minute charity event today where I'd pull into hot pit, a worker would help get them in my car (2 of which were rather large bottomed women and we had to turn one car away as there was no change. I love giving rides and since these are for charity doubly cool. I never get to run my car that long and even in mid-upper 90s (VERY hot for us) and no heat issues with the car. I did buy the new small bag CoolShirt cooler saved the day. Worked extremely well, mine even has a hood so it pumps he cold water around my head. Heat management FTW!

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Nice write up Ross!

Been working like mad at getting the new site up. Finally booked a spot for your car here complete with the video!

Ross' F1 Exige @ BOE Fabrication

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very cool of you to share my baby on your site @turbophil, as I couldn't be happier with the build you did it's great to get to show it off a bit to potential customers. With how well you kept me updated and advised me on the parts and process it was a fun project for me too!

If you'll remember I was rather concerned with reliability post-build with the power levels you achieved. And while I had a little teething the first few track days since then it's been totally reliable and I pretty much only pound on it at the track. I think I've done 30+ days in it since the build and haven't missed a minute of track time during that period.

For those of you considering a build like this you really want to work with Phil. I'm fortunate that he's only a 10 hour tow away from me but even if he wasn't I'd pay for shipping to get the car to him. Standard maintenance is easy enough but when you're ready to put the equivalent in terms of cost and power of a Miata in the engine bay Phil is the man.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
With 357whp (400-425 crank ) you must be good to keep up / compete against other bigger car with 600-700HP to the crank ???

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With 357whp (400-425 crank ) you must be good to keep up / compete against other bigger car with 600-700HP to the crank ???
Yeah, and at 2000lbs (with me and a full tank of gas) it has a better power-to-weight ratio than a Bugatti Veyron Super Sports. There really aren't many cars that pull away from me on the straights, a friend has a new 991 GT3 and it's maybe 5mph faster than me by the end of the straight and that's all.

So gone are the days of Vettes, Mustangs and the like holding me in the corners and rocketing away from me on the straights, definitely had a ton of that when the car was stock. Now with what I call "F U" power I can at a minimum hang with them on the straight and if it's a lapping day and they won't let me by all I have to do is out brake them going into a corner, which is rather easy, and tough sh!t - I'm going by them.

I did once have a Vette owner that held me up for something like 4 laps (I even once rolled through the hot pit to get some space, even then I caught him again in about 3 corners). At the end of the session I walked over to his car in the paddock and looked inside for 5 seconds or so. When I stood up he looked at me sorta like WTF? to which I replied "well damn, look at that, it DOES have mirrors. Have you ever actually used them?" I think he was sorta stunned/confused as when I walked away he didn't say anything. I thought it was great.

It really is a rather amazing car and once I get the Penske double adjustable coilovers that are sitting in the garage on the car it should be even more amazing-er.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.