The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI there folks,

I am currently looking at a 06 Elise and I am planning on pulling the trigger on the purchase. The only thing holding me back is that it comes with the sport pack and touring pack. I was just looking for a standard Elise with the touring pack.

So my question is: How much harder a drive is the sport pack? Does it make trips unbearable if the road isnt super smooth or is it just slightly tigher than the standard elise? I will use my Elise as a daily driver and I will not be tracking it. Thanks and I cant wait to finally be an OWNER of an Elise on these forms versus just a fan!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
My car came w/o the sport pack. I upgraded the springs and wheels later. It is much more fun.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
IIRC, the Sport Pack springs are only about 10% stiffer, with damper curves to match, so I feel it's accurate to say the Sport Pack ride quality is about 10% firmer. It's about on-par with an '02 MINI Cooper S ride quality. The difference between Sport [LSS] and standard is noticeable, but not harsh or unusable by any means. I took my father out for a ride in my LSS Elise this weekend and he commented at how reasonable the ride quality was. I would only say to opt out of the Sport Pack if you drive the car daily on the utmost horrible roads or you don't like the forged wheels.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats great news. I had read some reviews where they make it sound like an "Iron Maiden" on wheels. While we are talking about this option I am aware of the dual oil coolers and that the wheels and tires are different. What exactly is different about the wheels and tires? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Thats great news. I had read some reviews where they make it sound like an "Iron Maiden" on wheels. While we are talking about this option I am aware of the dual oil coolers and that the wheels and tires are different. What exactly is different about the wheels and tires? Thanks!
I love the car and I'd say it is Iron Mained like. It is the stiffest that I have been in.

The difference in the wheels and tires...The wheels are lighter and are of a dual spoke design. The tires are AO48 (for the Sport) and AD07 for the non LSS. The differences between the two are more grip and less lifespan for the AO48. The AD07 are better in the wet.

Hope that helps.

Do a google image search on both of them to see the difference.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I can't really tell a deference in the ride, but I can tell a deference in the handling. :coolnana:
Sport pack rules!

·
Registered
143 Posts
if you're not going to track the car, or only rarely, you may want to replace the original Yoko's with something less extreme, like Bridgestone RE01Rs. The sidewalls aren't as stiff and they are much better in the rain. I have the Sport option and the roads around here are far from smooth and would recommend this over the standard setup.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Go for the Sport Pack - the extra performance is worth it. I test-drove both, and thought I liked the Touring Pack, so when the one I picked had Sport Pack, I bargained with that, because I thought I was going to have to convert it to Touring.

I bought it, and within a day or two, I loved it just the way it was (and still is).

It's very firm, but not punishing.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Yeah, get the one w/ sport pack. It's got slightly wider wheels in the front, and slightly firmer ride that you can tell the difference in terms of handling.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Go for the Sport Pack - the extra performance is worth it. I test-drove both, and thought I liked the Touring Pack, so when the one I picked had Sport Pack, I bargained with that, because I thought I was going to have to convert it to Touring.

I bought it, and within a day or two, I loved it just the way it was (and still is).

It's very firm, but not punishing.
To the OP: Don't be confused by these references to the Touring Pack. It has nothing to do with the suspension. A car either has the base suspension or the Sport Pack suspension (springs, shocks, wheel & tires). Touring refers to the Touring Package which consists of comfy stuff in the cabin.

Tim will be by in a little while to deliver a few whacks. :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
What makes it even worse is that my car has both Sport and Touring!! :rolleyes:

I meant that I drove one with Touring Pack ONLY (that is, it had the base suspension) and another one with Touring Pack AND Sport Pack (the Lotus sport suspension plus wheels + tires + maybe some other stuff).

Here, I'll do it myself. :thwack: :thwack: :thwack:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I love the car and I'd say it is Iron Mained like. It is the stiffest that I have been in.
Wow seriously?! The Track pack is much stiffer than LSS, but it still doesn't compare with a real race car that has absurd spring rates and very limited total stroke. The LSS is positively plush compared to those setups. I remember the first time I test drove an Elise. I had my MINI on H-Sport lowering springs, which got rid of about half the compression travel on the car. The ride quality was crap and knocked out tooth fillings on large bumps. When I got in the Elise [which had LSS] I was slightly turned off how cushy the suspension was. Nowadays I've learned that compression travel IS your friend, LOL, but that the LSS is still reasonable for street work. I suppose it's all relative; if you're expecting an E90 BMW [aka "the new Buick"] you'll think it's harsh, but if you're used to sporting setups it's quite fine.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
You will want the sports pack for the wheels alone (the front wheel is wider then standard/base, rears are the same size on both setups). After you have lived with the car for some miles you feel you want something different, then decide on some after market shocks that suit how/where you drive.

The base wheels are a &^@# to get tires for if you don’t want the AD07s the car comes with, and they $$cost$$ a lot. In my opinion the tire is to skinny (a 175), and the sport size wheel fits the 195/50 right.

Now I don’t know how you drive to say for sure what would be good for you, but most people looking at this car would not want the base suspension set up.
Another difference is the sway bar is also thinner on the base setup then the sport sway bar (if I’m wrong on the sway bar part some one will correct me on this).

Changing shocks if you feel the need is an EZ thing to do so don’t feel you are going to have a problem with it. If you get the car make it yours, the way you like it, that’s what its for.

Good luck with what ever you get.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
What exactly is different about the wheels and tires? Thanks!
the 048's are stickier for sure, but the tradeoff is that they will wear out considerably faster (and not do so well in the rain).
something to consider.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
This car will be very rough on bad roads... with or without LSS

·
Registered
189 Posts
How much harder a drive is the sport pack? Does it make trips unbearable if the road isnt super smooth or is it just slightly tigher than the standard elise? I will use my Elise as a daily driver and I will not be tracking it.
I know many may disagree with me, but I have had all three factory suspensions on my Elise, I live where the roads are not smooth, and I use the car as a daily driver. IMO the base suspension was the best overall for daily driving in mixed conditions. This is not like a BMW where the base suspension is really tuned for comfort so you would almost automatically choose the sport option.

The Lotus sport pack springs are not much stiffer than base, but the shock valving is very different so it is much harsher on rough pavement. If you live where the roads are smooth and you don't mind a stiff setup the sport pack is fine, but then almost any suspension would be livable for you.

Though it does understeer more at the limit, the base setup's smaller front wheels and AD07s have a really nice precise, delicate street steering feel that actually can become a little more numb on higher performance setups with bigger wheels or softer tires. I think Lotus really did their homework on the base setup, but if you do get the sport pack, the RE-01Rs will ride better than the 048's at the expense of turn-in feel. I have used all three kinds of tires and both wheel sizes on my car.

I finally ended up with the track pack adjustables because I also track the car a lot, but even when set soft for the street I don't think they are as good for daily driving as the base setup on the roads around here.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I should add that I have the Track Pack set up with the adjustable shocks. I will try to keep this simple, (again I don’t know what your knowledge of this stuff is so I don’t mean to sound to simple) Track Pack shocks have one adjustment that’s EZ to reach and adjust, big numbers on it so as to see where it’s set. It’s not a real track shock.

I have the Track Pack (TP) so I can drive around most of the time with the shocks set soft (this is still stiff to normal cars) because most roads around me suck and the soft setting is nicer from a ride stand point and from a fun stand point too. If the cars to stiff it bounces, and that makes for bad handling. When I want it, a simple few click on the shocks (it makes a click when adjusted) and I’m set for whatever road (I may be stiffer then the Sports Pack at this point), with out losing filings or the passenger (girl friend/wife) complaining about the ride to the fun road.

From my view I think the TP set to 1 is a little softer then the base shocks. 3-4 is about the Sport Pack firmness. The springs on the TP setup are stiffer then both base and SP.

If you find the ride to harsh for you with the Sports Pack and the 048 tires it comes with a simple tire change can do a lot (massive amount) with ride feel.

A single adjustment shock is EZ to use and a bit fun to play with. It can also be a great learning tool for how to set up a cars handling without any confusion or headache. There are also multiple adjustment shocks but don’t go there endless you know what you are doing. There are a few single adjustment shocks out here and I’ve heard good things about them from those who have them. Better ride/handling on the day to day, more fun when you want it firmer.
Again this is vary simple and EZ to do if you where to go with a single adjustment shock.

One more thing, this car is light, there is no making it as smooth riding as something that weighs 3500 lbs. just not going to happen. So when I say it rides smother/nicer it’s a relative term.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
I agree with everything Green Ghost said above and I have a couple of other things for you to consider. The base wheels are a whole lot easier to clean and keep clean than the sport pack wheels due to the solid spoke design of the base wheel. Just ask anyone with sport pack wheels how much fun it is to clean them. I find the preciseness in the feel of the skinny front base wheels to be more fun for everyday driving. The feedback through the steering wheel is just better on the street. The base wheels are a lot cheaper to buy used than the sport wheels if you damage one too. The roads are in such lousy condition here in WI that I opted for the base suspension/wheels after driving a sport pack and I have never looked back (no track driving for me either). If you really don't like the skinny front tires or want to try a different tire later, sport pack sized 195 width tires will fit on the base front wheels. Seeing as you have no intention of taking your car on the track, I can't see any reason for you to pay the extra $ for a sport pack. Remember too that Lotus designed the base suspension package specifically for the US after they brought an Elise over here for testing and were appalled at the poor general condition of our roads.

Now, considering you are looking at a used '06 and if the deal is right, I wouldn't reject it based on it having a sport pack. If you find after you have it for awhile it is too harsh, you can always pick up used base shocks and springs and/or base wheels cheap. The sport pack parts from your car (if in good condition) that you removed can always be sold for good money. I hope this helps you and good luck with your purchase!

·
Older but getting faster
524 Posts
I've had my 2006 base model for about a year now.

I went to Lotus Driving School in Nevada last summer. (totally worth the $)
I'm your basic 50 y/o guy having the time of his life in his dream car.

However, after a year, I wish I had sprung for the Lotus Sport Suspension (Sport Pack). From all that I've read you really are stuck with the AD07 tires, although "stuck with" is too pejorative since they are excellent tires. I'd just like to try running the Toyo R888's or A08's to enjoy the extra grip. And although the handling charactaristics and road feel and steering sensitivity are amazing, I sometimes feel the standard shocks are mildly wallowy in severe corners on mountain road "fun runs" with our local Lotus enthusiasts group.

I have few complaints and many praises about my first year of ownership. If I were to replace my '06 with a later model Elise I'd equip it with the LSS.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've had my 2006 base model for about a year now.

I went to Lotus Driving School in Nevada last summer. (totally worth the $)
I'm your basic 50 y/o guy having the time of his life in his dream car.

However, after a year, I wish I had sprung for the Lotus Sport Suspension (Sport Pack). From all that I've read you really are stuck with the AD07 tires, although "stuck with" is too pejorative since they are excellent tires. I'd just like to try running the Toyo R888's or A08's to enjoy the extra grip. And although the handling charactaristics and road feel and steering sensitivity are amazing, I sometimes feel the standard shocks are mildly wallowy in severe corners on mountain road "fun runs" with our local Lotus enthusiasts group.

I have few complaints and many praises about my first year of ownership. If I were to replace my '06 with a later model Elise I'd equip it with the LSS.
Thread digression, but I went from my Goodyear Eagles to R888s on my Sport Pack '06 just prior to my first track date and it was like driving a different car. (I never had the Yokos.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts