The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Veterans,
This is my first posting on The Lotus Talk page. As a virgin Lotus owner I have taken posession of my 2007 Elise about a month ago. With the soft top on I have no wind "whistle" coming off the roof at highway speed, but with the hard top I have an anoying "whistle" that appears above 100+Km/hr. Obviously, driving below this speed is not an option - anybody else experienced this annoyance? I assume that this is probably due to the rubber edge protector on the hardtop but I expect better god damn it! Any solutions out there? I don't see any adjustments on the back of the car above the window so I assume I am somewhat SOL...

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Veterans,
This is my first posting on The Lotus Talk page. As a virgin Lotus owner I have taken posession of my 2007 Elise about a month ago. With the soft top on I have no wind "whistle" coming off the roof at highway speed, but with the hard top I have an anoying "whistle" that appears above 100+Km/hr. Obviously, driving below this speed is not an option - anybody else experienced this annoyance? I assume that this is probably due to the rubber edge protector on the hardtop but I expect better god damn it! Any solutions out there? I don't see any adjustments on the back of the car above the window so I assume I am somewhat SOL...
I am not sure as to the adjustability of the hard top (I don't have one), but first you need to figure out where exactly the whistle is coming from. Get a roll of wide painter's masking tape and take the car for a drive. Once you get the whistle going, try to get an idea of the approximate area it is located and then pull over and apply a strip of the tape over the seam in that spot on the outside of the car. Keep driving and placing/removing strips of tape until you pinpoint the spot. If there is an obvious gap in the weatherstrip at that spot either adjust the top to fit correctly or if there is no adjustment try to build up the weatherstrip with some closed cell foam placed under the strip to make it bulge out further. Remember the smallest gap in the weatherstrip can cause a whistle, so it may not take much at all to fix it. Maybe someone else can post the adjustments available for the hard top. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Have you tried to check if the hard top is properly attached or tightened?

Try taking it off and put back on however; make sure each bolt is fastened but be careful as to not to overtorque the bolts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You may be able to improve this by removing the top and putting it back on and perhaps getting a better fit. I had the same problem during my car's inaugural 2,200 mile trip home. Since I couldn't stop and mess with it, I solved it by wedging a granola bar up there.

·
Older but getting faster
523 Posts
The cars are hand made and each hard top is slightly different. I was told that the hard top chenge over should be "seasonal, not frequent" and that the windows can be adjusted to correctly fit hard top or soft top but rarely both.

Such is the price of owning an exotic. :shrug:

·
Registered
300 Posts
There is a factory bracket that attaches to the back of the roll bar. Mine was installed under warranty. Difference is night and day. I believe it's available from Lotusgarage.com for about $200, but I would see if its a warranty item first.

Ben

·
Registered
654 Posts
The window excursion height may need to be adjusted. Most hard tops fit differently against the window than the soft top. If you are going to switch tops, you may need to have the window travel height changed. I know there is a 5 mm difference on my car between the hard top and soft top as far as where the window meets the top.

It is an easy fix. Do a search for window height adjustment on this site and I am sure you will find the repair instructions. Since your car is new, you can always take it to the dealer and they'll do the adjustment for you.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
So - It's getting hot here in PHX and I decided to break out the hard top for the old Elise.

I fixed the 2 window fitment issues, VERY easy to do really. No more squealing from the windows at all...

Went to Lotus of Scottsdale and on the way I got to experience the new squeal coming from above my head and to the rear... I asked Andy about it and he suggested shimming the sail panel with a couple of washers. I was unable to, however, as I could not loosen the bad boy up after removing the allen screws outside the back window next to the light bar...

Does anyone else have a suggestion for eliminating the hard top squeal aside from shimming the sail panel?

·
Registered
786 Posts
To the OP,

I had that problem when I first took delivery of the Elise. The hardtop fit perfectly, but there was a gap in the window on the soft top, and caused a whistling noise. The dealer made some adjustments to the window and got it to nudge up better to the window seal. Problem solved.

Congrats on your purchase. If this is your first squeak/pop/creak/tick,squeal ... then get ready for more. It says a lot about Lotus when you can put up with all these noises, and still think it's the greatest car company in the world.:clap:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Wow....can't believe noone answered this yet......... it only whistles because it doesn't know the words.:huh::huh:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Zymol makes a rubber sealant and lubricant. I would remove the roof, apply this to the roof seals and the seals on the car. The rubber gets fairly hard, quickly, and Zymol seal helps to soften it. Then, reinstall the roof, making sure the leading edge is pushed up against the windscreen. Adjust the fixing bolts, and go for a ride. This might help.

·
Registered
907 Posts
There is a factory bracket that attaches to the back of the roll bar. Mine was installed under warranty. Difference is night and day. I believe it's available from Lotusgarage.com for about $200, but I would see if its a warranty item first.

Ben
The 07's actually come with that bracket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts