The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest Car and Driver magazine has a "spy" photo of the 2007 Elise....it's much flatter up front, no radiator outlet up on the "hood", wider, longer...etc. It's on an all-new larger frame designed for World markets including ours. Looks an awful lot like the Vauxhall/Opel big brother to the Elise...

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
>>Scan?<<

Someone else will have to scan it....I saw it in a bookstore and by the time I bought some other stuff I forgot to buy one.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The new EU impact standards will make Lotus change things quite a bit. The standards will also tend to make cars look more alike. All you forum members in Europe, what is the deal, the standards are designed to protect pedestrians?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
I'd guess it is the mid-level Lotus that is being developed - not the next Elise. Or the Esprit replacement?

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
James A said:
The new EU impact standards will make Lotus change things quite a bit. The standards will also tend to make cars look more alike. All you forum members in Europe, what is the deal, the standards are designed to protect pedestrians?
My understanding was that cars like the Elise wouldn't be as affected as front engined cars. Where are those pics?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
2007 Elise In Works!

Re: Car And Driver - Oct.04 - Page 35
SPIED! 2007 ELISE.......With the first few Elises beginning to land in customer hands, the British carmarker was caught testing a new 3rd generation Elise that should fully comply with U.S. safety standards. The current Elise is a 2nd generation car, the 1st generation never made it to the U.S. - has a 3 year dispensation (due to low production volume) that allows it to be sold in the U.S. without bumpers or properly sealed headlights. Expect to see the new Elise before the exemption runs out in 2007. The new car will be built on an all new aluminum monocoque that will be larger in every dimension than the current car. The increases in width and length should provide more passenger space, and the wider track should sweeten the already astounding handling. The longer nose extends the front overhang enough to house integrated 2.5 mph bumpers as well as new headlights. With these changes, Lotus will satisfy the minimum requirements of U.S. regulations. Hopefully, Lotus will hold the line on weight and price for this larger Elise. The current Elise weighs in at 1,930 lbs and starts at $40,780 (Price does not reflect recent $950 increase.)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
shinoo said:
I'd guess it is the mid-level Lotus that is being developed - not the next Elise. Or the Esprit replacement?
The C & D article claims it's the Elise. I also noted on Page 78 (same issue) that they report the Esprit as being 'dead'.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Anyone know who is behind the exterior design of this one? The previous Lotus projects have been headed by Steve Crijins, if I'm not mistaken. Those design have been exceptional, and I'm hoping he's doing the same for this model. The shot on the "AutoWeek" magazine cover (I think) doesn't look good at all (IMO).

Anyone have any info on who is in charge currently at Lotus (design-wise)?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
MOKOSpeeD said:
As the 2007 model will meet the reqs and grow larger in dimensions as mentioned (http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5545), the weight go up some bit. I hope that Lotus will put in an engine that's as reliable as the yamaha/toyota one, but with a a little more power and torque to compensate for the extra weight.
A bigger engine would be needed, but even with it you will still feel the extra weight when you drive the car. More weight can’t really be cured by adding more power it can only be cured by removing weight. I foresee the next Elise becoming a fat pig of a car (at least when compared to the current one) and the current Elise becoming a highly sort after model.

:eek: Get em while you can!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Derek, you're totally right. More power for more weight wouldn't cure it. This brings us to the corvette. It's a relatively light car with loads of power, but you still "feel the extra weight." I wouldn't expect the '07 to be a "fat pig", but definitely heavier though. I'm no engineer so any guesses on how much heavier the car would weigh with all the "necessities"?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Must've been October--it's not in my September issue. Figures they show up at bookstores first. :mad:

If no one has posted a pic before I get my issue, I'll scan and post it.

Derek, I'd rather they go with forced induction instead of adding even *more* weight with a bigger engine. Anyone hear any rumors about a 2ZZ-GTE engine from Toyota? ;)

Jim

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
James A said:
All you forum members in Europe, what is the deal, the standards are designed to protect pedestrians?
Correct.

Actually this should not infuence a mid-engined car with double-wishbone suspension like the Elise too much.

The new regulations are to introduce 'soft' areas in the front of the car and the hood, so if a pedestrian gets hit there is less chance of them sustaining severe injuries.

On front-engined cars and using McPherson struts the designers will now need to add at least an inch or so of 'crumple space' between the bodywork and the engine or suspension hard points, so pedestrians hitting the car won't impact these 'solid' parts of the car.

This will result in cars with higher hoods and much more 'blunt' noses, especially in the front-wheel-drive/front engine type cars.

Some manufacturers are trying to get around this by installing an 'active hood', which actually jacks up about 3 inches if the electronics sense an impact on the front bumper. Too prone to malfunctions IMHO though..

Mid-engined cars have an advantage here as there is (of course) no engine at the front, so a nice 'empty' area is already present. Their design will probably be the least compromised as a result of this.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just looked at the latest C&D issue. It's the same pic of the yellow car that Auto Express published. BTW, I read in an australian car mag that Proton is working on a new sports car based on the Elise chassis.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts