The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"For the 2007 model year Lotus several minor changes were made. The LOTUS decals on the rear of the vehicle, previously flat stickers, were replaced by raised lettering. The headlamp units were sealed. Also, in order to comply with US Federally mandated bumper restrictions, the frontal crash structure was slightly changed and rear bumperettes were added next to the licence plate mount. Approximately 100 2007 model year "launch" cars were shipped to the US without these bumper changes. All Lotus Elise cars manufactured after 1 January 2007 include the new headlights and 2.5 mph (4.0 km/h) bumpers, although they are hidden in the front."

I have a 2007 with the old style head-lights, raised Lotus Letters and no bumperettes. Is there more clarity on the timing of the 2007 changes (le maybe mine missed the update based on build date) or is it possible that something is fishy with my car? Just curious!

Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Best summary I've seen is here: Elise model history - TechWiki

My car is #103, June '06, and it has the new headlights and chrome letters, but no bumper changes. I suspect someone changed the lights in yours or the clam was swapped perhaps - as I think they mount differently.

From the Wiki:

2007 M.Y. & Elise S Introduction: June 2006
VIN character 10 = 7; Serial number restarts at 0001, common to all variants.
VIN character 4 identifies engine type. Elise S = Y

Differences between '07 Elise/Exige and '06 include:
  • Elise 111R renamed Elise R
  • New sealed headlamp units
  • Raised LOTUS lettering on rear transom
  • Additional screen pillar seal
  • Alpine audio
  • Improved HVAC ducting.
New model Elise S uses 1ZZ-FE engine producing 100 kW, with variable inlet timing but fixed valve lift, plastic inlet manifold, revised intake snorkel, revised exhaust manifold and downpipe, smaller tailpipes within standard trims.
Elise S also uses new C56 5-speed transmission and 6-spoke roadwheels sharing styling of standard '01 model wheels.

USA Low Speed Damage Mitigation: January 2007
From ‘07 USA VIN serial no. 1579 To meet USA safety legislation, modifications made to Elise/Exige:
Front; armatures and foam inserts added between crash structure and clamshell.
Rear; bumper panel housing foam pads either side of license plate, narrower rear grilles, reinforced boot floor and diffuser support panel, stiffened diffuser.
Some elements commonised for all markets.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm could be, it did have an accident on the car fax and I got it from wire wheel (was not a salvage though). I'll follow-up. Was just curious. I do like the newer lights better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts