The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of shipping a 2007 Exige S that I just bought. It has the sport and track packages. I have two suspension-related concerns.

First, I've been working with the shipper to make sure the truck can handle its low right height without damaging the clams. The seller estimated the minimum height (immediately in front of the front wheels) to be ~3 5/8" and well over 4" at the center front. Hearing this, the shipper will be switching to a one-car flatbed. I'm hoping this will not be an issue.

Second, my driveway does not meet the street flush. I have one of those pseudo-curbs that you find in subdivisions. It's hard to measure the effective height without having the nose of the car present, but it looks to be close to 3 1/2" ...might be lower, might be higher.

Any suggestions for either concern? I was told I could adjust the height of the car by turning an adjustment on the suspension. A quick search on this site seemed to indicate that the sport package did not provide this adjustment. It also seems that such an adjustment requires an alignment. Can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Exige track pack comes with adjustables. 120mm(~4.7inch) is the stock ride height, iirc.
And yes, changing the ride height substantially will affect the alignment. You might as well get the car corner balanced while aligning.
On the plus side, Exige front splitter is a consumable item.....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
First, whatever trucker you use, be sure he knows to strap the car down through the wheels, and not to strap/hook to the suspension. You will wind up with bent suspension pieces if he hooks to them and ratchets down.

As far as clearance. I had a steep curb at my home as well. Probably 7" or so and the concrete 'ramp' up to it was very steep. I found that if I approached the curb at a slight angle, almost parallel, I could get up over the curb with clearance. In 2 years I never scraped.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean when you say the front splitter is a consumable? My understanding is that it's an expensive repair. Am I mistaken?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops...replied to the wrong message below.

What do you mean when you say the front splitter is a consumable? My understanding is that it's an expensive repair. Am I mistaken?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Build/buy some curb ramps if necessary for your driveway, if there is just no angle of approach that works.

I assume this trailer has a ramp rather than a lift, and you are concerned about scraping the nose... First, have the shipper pad the nose with some high density foam for the trip. Next, have the shipper drop the end of the ramp over a tall curb to greatly reduce the angle the car approaches when loading. Finally, anchor only through the wheel slots with padded straps. Don't anchor to the chassis.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Mness4,
Black front splitters are about 350 for 800 dollars, front clams cost much more. Many people put inexpensive splitters on their Elise to protect the *MUCH MORE* expensive clam. As such, many people consider the splitter a cheaper alternative to a damaged clam, and is a consumable.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
take a pic of your drive way, we can estimate if you are clear. Track pack has adjustable spring perches so you can raise it a bit if you like. Its only about a 1/2 hr job (if the orig owner was kind enough to include the OEM wrenches)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great advice. Thank you.

Build/buy some curb ramps if necessary for your driveway, if there is just no angle of approach that works.

I assume this trailer has a ramp rather than a lift, and you are concerned about scraping the nose... First, have the shipper pad the nose with some high density foam for the trip. Next, have the shipper drop the end of the ramp over a tall curb to greatly reduce the angle the car approaches when loading. Finally, anchor only through the wheel slots with padded straps. Don't anchor to the chassis.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, here's a dumb question: what is a clam and what is a splitter? I assumed they were different names for the same thing. Which would my Exige have?

Mness4,
Black front splitters are about 350 for 800 dollars, front clams cost much more. Many people put inexpensive splitters on their Elise to protect the *MUCH MORE* expensive clam. As such, many people consider the splitter a cheaper alternative to a damaged clam, and is a consumable.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will do. Here are close-up pictures of the lower front end. It should give a good idea of the ride height. I'll post a picture of the driveway tomorrow.
Thank you.

take a pic of your drive way, we can estimate if you are clear. Track pack has adjustable spring perches so you can raise it a bit if you like. Its only about a 1/2 hr job (if the orig owner was kind enough to include the OEM wrenches)

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are some pics of my driveway...

It looks like the dropoff is about 3 1/2" but there is also a slight crown to the road that amplifies the problem a bit. So do you think I'm ok with a 45 degree approach?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
First of all... Beautiful Exige!

Excellent shots of your driveway. My eyeball guess as an Elise owner says you can probably clear it IF you go slow and take it at an angle. Just the same, have an old 6 foot 2 by 4 available to toss in the lowest portion of the curb valley. That will lift the nose considerably.

BTW, the word "clam" is used to describe the large (and expensive) fiberglass body parts that comprise the entire front and rear ends of the car. The "splitter" is the lower front lip appendage that provides some aero advantage and doubles as a sacrificial protector of the front clam.

FWIW, this winter I plan to fabricate my own splitter skid plate from black ABS plastic that I will fasten to the bottom edge. The idea is to strengthen the splitter by distributing any blows the splitter may take.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Where do you live? You could probably get a fellow Lotus owner (if there are any in the area) to drive over and test the approach ahead of your new baby's delivery.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Your car looks familiar! I dont think your driveway will be an issue at all. Just come in slow and at an angle

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I flew to PIT last weekend to finalize the deal and see the car for the first time. What struck me most was how low to the ground it was as it pulled into the terminal area. I have always seen pictures either in isolation or with other Lotus models nearby. I think I could easily "high" jump it if needed! As I got into the car, a guy asked "Wow! Is that your ride?!!" Similar comment when he dropped my off. It's definitely an eye-turner.

I was also thinking about somehow fastening a skip plate under the splitter for moving purposes. But loading from a high curb as was suggested seems more reasonable. I have a Saab Viggen with a very low front end that has been chewed up by curbs and ramps, etc. I would like to prevent that here. Let me know if your idea works out.

First of all... Beautiful Exige!
Excellent shots of your driveway. My eyeball guess as an Elise owner says you can probably clear it IF you go slow and take it at an angle. Just the same, have an old 6 foot 2 by 4 available to toss in the lowest portion of the curb valley. That will lift the nose considerably.

BTW, the word "clam" is used to describe the large (and expensive) fiberglass body parts that comprise the entire front and rear ends of the car. The "splitter" is the lower front lip appendage that provides some aero advantage and doubles as a sacrificial protector of the front clam.

FWIW, this winter I plan to fabricate my own splitter skid plate from black ABS plastic that I will fasten to the bottom edge. The idea is to strengthen the splitter by distributing any blows the splitter may take.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I live about 25 miles SW of Minneapolis...in Shakopee (any Pixar Cars fans recognize the reference?!) A couple times I have seen an Elise drive by, but only one. There is a Lotus dealer in the area, but they don't feature it. They are primarily a Jag and Range Rover dealer if I remember right. I don't think the weather is conducive to having a high Lotus population.

Where do you live? You could probably get a fellow Lotus owner (if there are any in the area) to drive over and test the approach ahead of your new baby's delivery.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I think I noticed your avatar earlier...front view if I remember correctly.

Your car looks familiar! I dont think your driveway will be an issue at all. Just come in slow and at an angle

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts