The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yes, with the top removed, and at any speed, the hot air from the engine compartment will definitely back up through the IC and then exit backwards out of the ducting in the rear clam. Verified this today on my S.

·
Registered
410 Posts
A little off topic, but how did you guys dent your IC, so that I may avoid doing this also?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm not sure how to square your data with what I experienced driving with the top off. All I did was reach over my shoulder at about 20, 40, and 60 mph, and actually insert my hand into the air intake. The air inside the opening was quite hot and was exiting the opening where the roof scoop would normally match up. Anyone with an Exige S could easily duplicate this. To be honest though, this information doesn't seem that important, since the car was not intended to be driven this way. It also makes sense that this would occur with all of the buffeting air around the passenger compartment opening. The air running over the top of the car when the roof is in place is certainly much, much smoother and cleaner.

·
Registered
410 Posts
apk...the aluminum heat shield between the top of the engine and the IC...I was thinking the same thing. It would have to be of some help. Also, if one could fabricate another shroud on the engine side if the IC and duct the air directly outside...maybe with a puller fan or two to help it along...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ideally, the entire IC would be shrouded to separate it from the super-hot air in the engine compartment. Probably look ridiculous though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.