The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
IC Temps

Has anyone ever thought about putting a scoop,or maybe better,a NACA duct on the Drivers side "sail" panel--not unlike a 1967 GT -350 scoop? IC should get better airflow,and the top could be removed? I know it involves cutting into the body,but just an idea??:shrug:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Cool Air?

lotus stopped using these because over time it warped the hatch.

The hot air from the radiator is an issue. Just stick your hand on the roof on the highway, you'll notice the air there is quite a bit hotter than if you raised your hand into another airstream. Crude thermometer I know but the difference can be felt. I've heard of a splitter added on bottom of front of roofs similar to cup roof along the windshield top edge that supposedly splits the hot air and runs it in a different direction allowing fresh air in the scoop.

Really Really interesting post by the way. :clap:

I am in the camp that thinks that fans is the only way to go. Either roof, the bottle neck is still at the fettle location. Even with fettling, the opening is just... ridiculous. If fans are used, just a theory but I think the non cup roof would be a better combo here.
I have also felt the hot air that comes over the windscreen,it is from the heat of the radiators in the nose,and it is suprisingly hot.
I looked into fans a while ago,and the tiny fans that would fit don't come close to pulling enough air,pushing is not a good idea,either. the only place where fans might help on this car is when it is in traffic,but how much horsepower do you need in traffic? I am still thinking that a scoop on the drivers side "sail" panel(opp side of the fuel filler door)--or a NACA duct ---run into the stock air duct along with the roof might be the answer. It could be replaced with another gas filler door(screwed shut)if desired should the need arise. If you wanted to remove the top,you would still get air into the IC from the top scoop on the clam and the new sail panel air inlet. All of this is just mental masturbation on my part until somebody gets temps and meaningful data. Where is Jim Hall (Chaparral) when we need him?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Top Off

I know iv mentioned it before, but i just wondered if there was any plans to study airflow and intercooler temp/effeciency with the roof removed? Alot of owners are running the car like this, and there is alot of descussion, with no firm answer as to the effects/safety of this.

Any ideas?

Thanks
This is just based on my personal experience-------I have no data to support these conclusions.
I was driving my 240S around without the top,and while I was sitting at a light-ambient was about 85F-I could actually feel warm air-certainly warmer than ambient-coming out of my air intake. This was not a track day,and I was not driving it hard at all. Based on this,I have got to believe that the loss of HP is fairly severe without the top on. Again,I have no data to back this up. The wind buffeting(which I really don't care about) is much more pronounced in an Exige with the top off than it was with an Elise under the same conditions,which makes sense----and I am sure that the airflow to the wing is totally upset. If only someone made a scoop to use while the top is off,that might help. I can't imagine safety being a concern-do you mean in a rollover?
That said, on a beautiful summer or spring day,these things don't bother me-----For a track day,they would be a serious concern. This is on a totally stock 240S,I have Thomasio's intercooler but haven't installed it yet.
I still like the idea of a NACA duct on the drivers side sail panel,and the photo of the ducted air to the IC duct would also seem to be viable,but,of course,only when the car is in motion. I also noticed with the top off,when moving, the air coming over the windscreen is indeed warmer than ambient,but at the center of the windscreen(where the scoop would pick it up) it is actually cooler than the other spots!:wallbang::wallbang::wallbang::wallbang:

·
Registered
313 Posts
IC temps-

HTML:
[HTML][HTML][HTML]
[/HTML][/HTML][/HTML]I don't know what you mean when you say no one will show up to race. There is no intercooler spraying allowed anywhere and yet the tracks are full.

This is not about a failure of the engine lubrication system but rather intercooler water spray systems. Read what Smoky wrote.

The object is not to outlaw racing because it is dangerous but rather to limit the danger (to you and others) with sound, well intentioned rules.

This is not about banning intercooler water spray systems as they have been banned for a very, very long time. How can that not be clear? Is the safety of others lost on you? (What you are arguing for is to allow them in.) Nor is this about any LCS sponsor, their workmanship, or product

Don,no luck with the Speedmax intercooler?-your thoughts here would be of interest--Lee

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.