The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I had the rear window out, so it wasn't that bad. Lots of ABS-plastic shards and dust, though.

It would have been nice if the duct were removable, and doesn't Lotus use the most tenacious urethane/epoxy ever invented?! :crazyeyes

P.S. Somewhere around here I have a photo looking into the duct from behind, similar view to your photo... but the two entry points are top, almost centered.
Seriously ugly :eek: Just kidding... Did you watch the movie 1942? Duct piping everywhere. :bow:

Why not consider a 3 parts CF housing ( 1st one in the cockpit, 2nd in the engine bay & 3rd the midified the IC shroud ). The PS job is very rough :p

Attachments

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
So HK, are you suggesting you are going to copy the 2-eleven shroud with two 4inch inlets out of carbon fibre?

Cool! (If so a price would be great, very interested)

If so I think also just a straight fibreglass may also work to make the cost competitive.

Thanks HK, you make some nice stuff, bought some of your gear through Fly ( john) in Australia.

:coolnana:

Cheers
John T has lots of cars and chicks :up:

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
1. I will mod the OEM Shroud to fit with the 4" dust and also with the mail slot.

2. 2 Curve Seperators in the Shroud to smooth out the flow.

3. Need to make 2 Side Inner Scoops 4" X 7" open with 4" dia elbow outlet that can house the 4" dust.

What do you think?

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I am also weird and like the colour coded std side scoops.

You are right, from my reseach the std scoops need to find at least half an inch. I haven't picked up my car yet as it is on the other side of the country, ( that will be another thread) so can't do accurate measurements.

Some modding of the side scoops will probably be required to space them out slight.

I have seen pictures of 4 inch piping in the scoops with the cover off and I would imagine it is slightly squashed with the cover on.

Fitting 4inch ducts will be challenging, but I have a few ideas.???????
Use wide scoops :D

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
P.S. To say that an intercooler is "heat soaked" means that it has absorbed all of the heat that it is capable of, and can no longer cool.

An intercooler with more aluminum mass will wick away more heat than one with less, and therefore you will almost never reach a situation where it is "heat soaked."

Lotus Cup cars w/ the RLS intercooler can run 20 minutes at full bore at the 4+ mile per lap Road America, pull off into the pits and the intercooler is only warm to the touch. That same car with an OEM intercooler will just about burn your hand.

What does that mean to the intake air temperatures? Of course thermal capacitance matters.
:up::up::up:

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
You guys are underestimating the bar and plate vs tube and fin design... Looks like all the cores tested in the referenced post were tube and fin.

Another thing, we all determined the Forged IC was a boat anchor like years ago. Might as well run stock Exige S part if you're thinking of the Forged IC (and it's like impossible to make power on the Exige S core). I have not seen the PA unit, but assumed the same about it as the forged based on its construction...

That said, the bar and plate unit that RLS sells is made by Bell. For those that don't know, bell (owned by Gerhard who designed coolers for F1 among ALMS and others. Quite the pedigree really) invested in the tools to make their own cores and not just make something work from china, or existing cores from the usual suppliers, etc like the others do.... the tube and fin design is FAR FAR inferior to the bar and plate (which the RLS cooler has for core) for cooling the charge.

-Phil
:up::up::up:

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Hi HK,

The whole reason I want 4inch is it is almost twice the volume of air as 3inch. The 2-eleven shroud (which has 4inch) has been proven to be the most effective ( I imagine because it allows the most air). If we can't have the roof scoop included, delete it (as it is insignificant in volume to the 4inch duct anyway) and just copy the 2-eleven design.

cheers.

I am personally not interested in a 3inch design.
Working on the 4" mold already

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Hi HK, APK919 was the one of first to experiment with extra ducting and air, very inventive and probably would be equally as effective in fitting the same size hose to the intercooler shroud.

What I don't know is if 4inch could be fitted there. If you do the calculations 4inch provides almost twice the air volume of 3inch. So 4inch is what would be the preferred option. As per the 2-eleven shroud (by the way it fits perfectly on the standard IC and has the same part no: as the exige shroud)

If it is impossible to replicate the 2-eleven in Carbon fibre I will look at other alternatives. Just let me know.

Cheers for looking into this HK. :)
Need to measure the overing area of the oval tube to see the area is equal or bigger than the mail slot (?? in2) + 2 X 4" (25.143 in2).

For 211 copy + mail slot, you need to trim away 1" from the oval rubber tube. Is this OK?

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Thank HK,

Best not to worry about connecting to the roof scoop, the area through the mail slot is very small. It is not really worth worrying about when you have 2 × 4 inch pipes connected. I would suggest just replicate the 2-eleven shroud as this should be fairly straight forward and gives heaps more air than other designs to date.

Plus through track testing has shown to preform very well.

Don't know if you know anyone with a lotus 2-eleven, but if they could send you the shroud to borrow, it would be easy to copy

Cheers
Copy 211 is easy, but doesn't look good with the original oval tube.

What the latest draft is with 2 side 4" inlets + extent the original oval inlet about 1 to 1.5". But buyer need to trim away 1" of the rubber tube:p

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Here is a photo of what a member did on Seloc, homemade 2-eleven shroud. Looks pretty mean to me! :)

Also triming the bellows will mean you are into the segregated section which will be hard to fit back on the shroud.

After seeing one in a car, what do you think?

This has a heatsheild too. That could be another project for HK! :)
Heat shield, RLS is making it :D

But the open Oval Slot doesn't look good :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.