The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I have a datalog for the trip from las vegas to los angeles, i keep meaning to post it up, most of it is just freeway constant but there are some traffic and hill climbs, let me find it and post it.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I found the ic does heat up quickly at idle, but then it cools down fast once you're driving and on load is when it actually makes a difference.

can you plot rpm/load along with the data too?

For the life of me i can't find my datalog from LA to LV, i'll have to make another one!

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
they're hooked up but it splits the function between the two, so temp on one, airflow on the other.

unfortunately lotus disabled the can bus diagnostics on the later firmwares, so you're out of luck, i'm not sure if its exposed on the obd ii oem mode or not.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
i tested on amongst other places, baker grade in the desert with ambient temperatures over 110F, its at least 15 miles long and a fairly steep uphill, i don't think there any tracks like that around here ;)

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
race teams have plenty of cash, can get access to track testing and don't have to share with the guy doing odd data logging, they test on dynos and wind tunnels too, last time i checked they didn't drive dynos or wind tunnels around on a track.

i've tried getting into my local track to do testing of hardware and stuff, they're not even remotely interested and want me either to rent the track for the whole time, or go with a group which just doesn't work since when you're doing this sort of work you're stopping and starting all the time, and it just annoys everyone, plus you end up spending most of the time explaining what you're doing.

plus the track is relatively flat, changes a lot and its difficult to repeat the results, a great big long straight going up a hill is like a dyno with real air flow and you don't have to speed.

also race cars aren't usually street legal ;)

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
don's a wag.

i've yet to find a track out here that'll let me tune and test for anything less than the price of a normal track day.

most of the time i spend a few hours tinkering with the car and 10 minutes running.

70 MPH up a hill for 10 or more minutes in 110+ ambient temps is a pretty good test, or even lower speed in a low gear producing high load.

we've also got abandoned desert roads that lead nowhere, just giant jack rabbits, except of course when you come across the OEM's doing their testing on the same roads, akward!

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I've always heard it 3rd party (mainly from evo/subbie guys) but the rumour is a lot of tracks won't let you run if you have stuff spraying out of the car, even if it is mist, but i don't know the facts on that one.

Looking at that turbo prius, pause for a moment, the temp drop doesn't look like all that much, its already fairly low, the ability of the water to cool will drop off as everything gets hotter, so the percentage difference will drop too, i didn't see any other sheets on it so it might not be the best example, you can see on the sheet that the temps are beginning to converge.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
as expected, the most load generates the most heat but it has less airflow, higher speed, less load, more airflow.

then the IC temp drops way off on decel since there's no load, so less heat being generated and lots of airflow.

so if you're on track you're probably in the worst area, high load, medium speed, medium airflow.

i'd like to see a graph that measured how long it takes for the IC to heatsoak, then how long it takes to cool off, if it can, so sustained high load, medium speed, til the temps max out.

next time i'm at the track i'll try to do something along those lines.

there is going to be a point where the efficiency maxes out and thats where we ought to be looking at, but a few degrees isn't going to do a whole lot, removing the rear panel dropped temps for us by about 20 degrees.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
My car has the stock '07 ECU (but possibly not for long ;)), the Innovate OT-1 is plugged into the OBD-II port and is supposed to automatically select the correct protocol... that's not to say it's not doing something silly on the CAN line... I've called them and posted on their forum and have gotten no good answers... Mag's '08 S240 has no issues with the same setup :shrug:

if its a 2007 car then try disconnecting the can lines on the OBD II port if the innovate has wiring on them, it should not interfere with the cluster if its purely K line.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.