The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
... my next step is to attempt to minimize the bottleneck and compare the results to the baseline.
Great work :clap:. Would love to hear the result of your findings.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
To make your side scoop design work efficiently, you'd need a three chamber (isolated) IC shroud (think exhaust headers). What you've done here is most likely got side scoop air flow with higher volume pushing air out the roof scoop (some will go thru the IC, but it might be worse than what the roof scoop alone could do).

I think your design would work MUCH better if you ran the side scoop ducting directly into the IC shroud with 3 isolated chambers in the shroud - left chamber for left side scoop, center chamber for roof scoop, and right chamber for right side scoop. Isolate the chambers on the IC surface using rubber/foam molding (you would need to figure out how to mold plastic for each internal shroud chamber). This way, the only path for the air to flow in all 3 cases is thru the IC regardless in the differences of pressures between all 3 paths of air flow.
First I like to thank apk919 for thinking outside the box and come up with all these great ideas to try and solve the dreaded IC heatsoak issue that we have. We need more people like you in our Lotus community.

I agree with Rob that a modified IC shroud might be the best solution. The air flow from the side scopes will be at a much better angle. Installation is easier since all you have to do is replace the IC shroud. Having the IC shroud molded with three internal chambers is also a great idea. Now we just need someone to actually manufacture one. It can be sold as a kit along with the side ducts and scope. I'm sure every Exige S owners will want such a kit since it can't be all that expensive to manufactuer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts