The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Since you've now proven that the stock IC doesn't get near enough airflow evern after fetteling, try adding NACA ducts on the c pillar behind the rear class and directing more air to the IC... :D

Cheers,

Phil

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
What do I do with the right side C-pillar? The fuel filler tube is in the way... asymmetric ducting? :D

I'm considering increasing the size of the side ducts (there's at least one source of CF side ducts that has a larger intake cross-section than the stock ducts). And do we really need the mesh? All on the list of potential experiments...
I'd seriously consider putting a duct on the drivers side c pillar and see if that helps. I think it would look pretty cool. You can't see both side of the car at the same time so whycare about symetry:)

Frank found that the mesh blocks a heck of lot of air on those side scoops, so I would certainly remove that jazz...

The reality is that you need a lot more air to really get some good efficiency out of those ICs and I think you've shown that the big issue is that little opening. If you can double the size of that hole, you'll probably double the air... If I were you, I'd start doubling:D

Best,

Phil

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Took the mesh out some time ago -- definitely helps with engine cooling.
You see, another reason the Elise is a better performer than Exige, it has no air restricting mesh!rotfl

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Just a FYI- You can order good quality K-type TCs from mcmaster for not too much money. Some of them are very fast responding as well...

Carry on,

Phil

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Nice. What were ambient temps during the tests?

Best,

Phil

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
You guys are underestimating the bar and plate vs tube and fin design... Looks like all the cores tested in the referenced post were tube and fin.

Another thing, we all determined the Forged IC was a boat anchor like years ago. Might as well run stock Exige S part if you're thinking of the Forged IC (and it's like impossible to make power on the Exige S core). I have not seen the PA unit, but assumed the same about it as the forged based on its construction...

That said, the bar and plate unit that RLS sells is made by Bell. For those that don't know, bell (owned by Gerhard who designed coolers for F1 among ALMS and others. Quite the pedigree really) invested in the tools to make their own cores and not just make something work from china, or existing cores from the usual suppliers, etc like the others do.... the tube and fin design is FAR FAR inferior to the bar and plate (which the RLS cooler has for core) for cooling the charge.

-Phil

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Problem with those IATs is that they're, coupled with +/- 1 of 7psi of manifold pressure... :/

Good work on the logging though!:up:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.