The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
He's on fire!
3,487 Posts
The final outcome is available for sale on RLS's website...

·
He's on fire!
3,487 Posts
Is there any drawback to dremeling out the rear clam part a bit to offer a few more square inches of airflow from the scoop? I noticed that there's a lip on the rear clam where it mates to the roof that looks superfluous and I was going to remove it... I know it's not much, but given the constriction, it would seem every little bit would help.
There's no drawback, but its a drop of water in an ocean of a problem.

·
He's on fire!
3,487 Posts
Considerations

- what is the cross sectional area where the air comes in at the scoop? If its less than what you've already measured you won't be getting the amount of airflow you think you are

- it is believed that the air coming in is also part of engine cooling, stealing enough of it to the intercooler may have an effect on engine temps?

- air coming through the scoop definitely feeds the air intake

- you'll need a shape other than 3" circle if you want to mount even one 3" tube near the face of the intake scoop (unless converting to wide scoop)

Whatever you do, don't just post pics show some data!

Okay guys, bumping this thread as I do believe I have a DIY solution which may be slightly better than previous solutions (without going to a air to water system or misting system)

Now I have done a bunch of research on this as I am about to buy an exige s.

This is what I have found so far;
Going to a aftermarket intercooler(air to air) makes little if no difference, as recovery time has been shown to be critical.
The 2-eleven shroud deleting the scoop, is the best option
The roof scoop does very little
Volume of air increase has the biggest benefits

Now the 2-eleven uses two 4inch (100mm) ducts, one going to each side scoop, this give an area of 15707mm2

Now if I use 4 × 3inch (76mm) two going to each side scoop my area increases by 15%. Eg: 18145.84mm2.

Now to achieve this, I will mount two inlets on each side of the Intercooler by using this flat mounted dual duct (https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3629 ) and mounting them onto a flat piece of aluminium (with the back cut away to match the duct) and then fit it to a shallow fabricated aluminum box on the front of the intercooler, replacing the existing shroud, as per the 2-eleven design.

This would also direct the air smoothly onto the intercooler. Then two pipes can be mounted into the side scoops each side.

My only concern is fitting the two pipes down the side of the car to the side scoops, but from pictures I believe they will fit.

When I start the mod I will post pictures. This will probably be april/ june.

:)

Any comments/ suggestions are welcome?

·
He's on fire!
3,487 Posts
I've seen that experiment a long time ago.

I'm not sure you're understanding my first point (or maybe i'm not understanding your proposed implementation). The scoops on the side only let so much air in... if your ducts have a larger capacity than the total amount of air coming in the scoops, what you have planned is too much. I know people have run 3" ducts with success, but you're talking about twice that much- at some point you're siphoning off enough air to affect the other things getting air back their does. If you have enough data before/after, you will have a much better idea if you are unintentionally affecting other things.

If you search the internet, selco and exige.com, all the testing and data has been done;

They swaped out 4 different ICs and changed out the different shrouds and pipes using the same track and same driver.

The 2-eleven shroud with the standard IC gave the best results, I am only suggesting improving on the 2-eleven design by increasing the volume of air.

If you want to stick with the standard setup or go to the gold standard air to water, that is your choice. I am only offering a variation to the best air to air solution shown to date.

Stealing air from the side scoops has been shown to have little impact.

PS, earlier in this thread, it has been shown the roof scoops provides peanuts as volume of air goes. Do your own calculations. The 4inch 2-eleven provides considerably more volume of air than the triple mod of 2x 63mm pipe + the roof scoop.

Link to the study done in the UK; Exiges.com ? More Intercooler testing

SELOC Forums

·
He's on fire!
3,487 Posts

·
He's on fire!
3,487 Posts
No, I didn't see that thread - out of curiosity, did you ever set up the fans to run with additional ducting to the IC? If so, what was the delta for that setup?
I just installed the RLS setup (without fans) this spring, but haven't been out yet. Data is forthcoming, as I will definitely be out in the next month :coolnana:

·
He's on fire!
3,487 Posts
Where did you get those? Custom?

Thanks. I'm going to mount these after some trimming and measure the airflow vs. a couple of other ducts. They're approx 1.75x7.75 inlet and 4" outlet.

Anotehr view:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts