The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
AJ,

You won't need it for your intended use of the car...with a proper I/C, you'll do fine on track. ;)

I turned my personal best lap time at Big Willow in 105 degree temp in June....beat my previous personal best time by 2 seconds which was set in 60 degree temps back in February. I know...not a very compelling argument. :D
:D I'll be spinning the blower a bit faster than yours is being spun generating a good bit more heat.we'll see.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
your numbers look similar to mine with the RLS. When I was on track the other day for the first time with the car I saw a max temp of ~280F pre IC and ~185F post IC. The IC seems to pull 80+ from the temps. It still gets HOT but that is just the blowers fault(I am spinning mine a bit faster as well).

On the freeway just cruising in 6th I would see temp differences in the 35-45 range on average the the charge temp around 135-145 pri IC and 85-95 post IC

your fans are setup as pushers? I think I'm going to get some and try them as pullers.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Yes pushers. Another forum member wildwhl did these same fans with 2 push and 2 pull mounted on either side of the IC. I bet that works well.

I bought mine from Wizard Automotive, Spal Dealer in FL. [email protected] Contact's name there is Roz. Very very helpful, proffesional service. Be sure to order the mounting pins and the correct relay.
are they wired to be on all the time or only at certain temperatures?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
At larger tracks like Thunderhill 3.19 mi long straight where one hits 130-135 or so or like Fontana 150-160 or so I don't think heat soak could ever become an issue (at least with the RLS anyway).

Probably end up tuning for each track I go to next year.

Rob.
Keep dreaming that one. Both on expected speeds at Fontana and temps :). I hit 138mph at Fontana and saw charge temps post IC of 190 on a nice cool 75 degree day. I know you'll be better with a larger pulley but still... I'd love to see my temps in the 120-130 top range

I dont know why people keep compairing a few pulls on the freeway to a track session. THey are soooo far different situations that they cant be compaired. I cant get my air temps over 300(from the blower on the street) but it happens plenty on the track

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
It was a little more than just a freeway pull 1 hour of stop and go LA freeway followed by a long long long pull up the grape vine at WOT -- I'm sure you've gone up the grape vine (it's not a short quick hill). But if you take a look at percent of track time actually on throttle it's not as massively different. But I agree you're not creating tranny heat, brake heat, etc. etc. -- tracks are different and my point was each track will be different.

If I had hit 150 at Fontana in a Mustang Cobra with worse aero and worse HP/Weight then I'd expect to at least do the same in my Lotus (I hope).

Rob.
my indicated speed was over 150 but my data logger told me otherwise. I'm pretty sure with a better run onto te oval and staying in it deeper I could hit 145 but then we are running out of gearing, developing load of intake heat, and just running out of steam on the top end. I'm sure once I get the air temp charge down significantly it will be a lot better.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Not sure I buy your argument...

the flow from the roof scoop will also be under pressure from airflow being forced in at speed.
I agree completely.

the air wont be flowing out the roof scoop, no way. Exiting through the IC is definitely the easiest route.

I still prefer the setups using the naca ducts inside the roof scoop area though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.