The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
that's what I'd guess. Maybe even a raised section of a couple inches front and back. remember that mspaint drawing I posted a while back? What's a good thickness? 3-5mm?

I have just had an Ally heat shield made in 1.5mm thick, should be more than enough to stop radiant heat and does not weigh to much ;-)

cheers

Boothy

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's probably about ideal... yours is probably rigid enough not to buzz at certain RPM's. Hopefully you have the motor mount inserts so that your engine doesn't flop around too much.

Mine is very similar to EricH's in design,however my 45deg is at the rear to deflect heat from the supercharger, I stopped the leading edge just past the intercooler so I can still get to the oil filler with ease. Its also slightly wider by the looks of it, 580mm to be exact :)
Its great to see lots of minds coming up with similar ideas, shame things are so quiet this side of the pond.

Boothy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just thought I would drag this to the top again as I would like to try something similar to APK's design but as I am going to do it slightly different I thought I would get peoples thoughts.
I am going to keep my std side pods and rather than go into the duct that is connected to the car (and the ball ache of removing it etc) I am going to go into either side of the duct connected to the cooler.
I run the Forge intercooler (dont think you guys have it over here) which uses the same duct as the Lotus cup cooler, going into the sides will direct the air flow onto the cooler but will also allow my hose to take a slightly less restrictive route. The issue being that I will only be able to use a maximum 51mm (2") hose connector at this point.
My side vents (std type) will allow me to use up to 63mm id (2 1/2") hose located up tight at the top of the vent (this will stop me restricting cooling air to the engine bay to much).
So my question is am I better to use 63mm hose and put a silicone reducer where it enters the duct or just use 52mm hose all the way?
I am guessing better to use the bigger hose as it will collect more air and the venturi should speed up the flow onto the intercooler, my only worry is that the speeded up air could force back the air from the roof scoop?
Obviously this was prooven not the case on APK's car and my theory is that the air behind the cooler will be lower pressure anyway so it should all just go through the cooler, I just thought I would ask the collective before I start chopping :)

Boothy

p.s. I am also thinking that the roof air is venturied anyway so it probably would of gone the other way on APK's car if there was going to be a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.