The Lotus Cars Community banner
341 - 360 of 698 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
ah, I have the the cans that run the line back into the intake. I wonder if it would make any difference. I suspect the hot oil would make much more difference that just hot air??

what's the X-axis on the gear graph? time? what's each division?
depends on can design. some are just cylindrical cans with nipple openings, others have baffles and screens inside. But it'll never get all the oil out. plus the gas is heated up from the oil so better to just vent it. I routed the vent hose down through where the secondary O2 sensor is routed near chassis and rear mudflap, then secured the opening on the other side of the muffler bracket (4 holes). Hose hasnt melted (yet) and fires right out the back. Just a temporary set up. if permanent I'd use a heat shielded hose or similar.

Yes it's time. the 2 troughs on the graph are shift points, first being 2nd gear, and tops off at end of 4th. the Y is in MPH. went through the gears to 8k rpm as similarly as humanly possible for the entire run.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Dual SPAL 5.2" fans data

Finally got around to doing this.

this run, same conditions, road, pre-run fluid temps as other "hard" runs. 30C ambient, 66% humidity

Results:

Notice the trend in lowering IAT with each test.

With fans the IAT was down marginally at the MAX figure.

Something I didn't compare on previous test were the max figures for the max IAT temp at the peak of each consecutive pull (highest speed/RPM, 6 pulls each run).

(* 81C max figure for stock IC on 8th run. Only did 6 runs for others.)

To simplify, took an avg of 6 pulls for each spec:
75 - stock
70 - RLS
66 - RLS + Fans

Benefit of fans with the same IC are not substantial but as can be seen every little cooling mod adds up. Total so far: 11C down -> 51.8F (but prob. closer to around 8C (46.4F)on 6th pull, first IAT value of 59 dragged down the avg.)

Low speed, traffic:
Contrary to what everyone's been guessing including myself, the fans dont help much at all in stop and go traffic situations. The figures were more or less the same with or with out the fans. Might be due to the efficiency of the RLS (didnt test stock with fans sorry).

Med speed/Hwy cruising:
In non traffic city driving ~ normal hwy cruising: 3~5C (37.4~41F) on average down.
IAT very consistant with the fans on. IAT dropped a lot faster on way down to regression point and rose slower on the way up.

Roof off test with fans and with out fans next... :nanner2:

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
your numbers look similar to mine with the RLS. When I was on track the other day for the first time with the car I saw a max temp of ~280F pre IC and ~185F post IC. The IC seems to pull 80+ from the temps. It still gets HOT but that is just the blowers fault(I am spinning mine a bit faster as well).

On the freeway just cruising in 6th I would see temp differences in the 35-45 range on average the the charge temp around 135-145 pri IC and 85-95 post IC

your fans are setup as pushers? I think I'm going to get some and try them as pullers.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Where did you get the fans from?

I plan to get the RLS next week (if I can find some money), and when I get my motor back together I have already installed the Seine Systems water spray -- with the fans as pullers, I think this could be a great when combined with water mist to cool down the IC at lower speeds.

FYI on my Seine Systems mister, the motor for it pressurizes a small tank and pretty much runs continuously keep high pressure in the tank. A solenoid then opens/closes to release water at high pressure -- solenoid is trigger by boost but can also be swithed on/off in car.

I realize we're not looking a huge improvements, but even the small ones are significant.

I've opened up the mail slot already -- hmmm...think I need to get some data logging done once I've got my car back together.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I have already installed the Seine Systems water spray
A couple of notes re: spraying on to the intercooler (externally)... make sure to use distilled water so that you don't create deposits. Also, try a 50/50 mix of distilled water and methanol. The methanol will flash off easier than the water alone. This yields fantastic results. (See rls Injection thread).

·
Registered
381 Posts
your fans are setup as pushers? I think I'm going to get some and try them as pullers.
Yes pushers. Another forum member wildwhl did these same fans with 2 push and 2 pull mounted on either side of the IC. I bet that works well.

I bought mine from Wizard Automotive, Spal Dealer in FL. [email protected] Contact's name there is Roz. Very very helpful, proffesional service. Be sure to order the mounting pins and the correct relay.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Yes pushers. Another forum member wildwhl did these same fans with 2 push and 2 pull mounted on either side of the IC. I bet that works well.

I bought mine from Wizard Automotive, Spal Dealer in FL. [email protected] Contact's name there is Roz. Very very helpful, proffesional service. Be sure to order the mounting pins and the correct relay.
are they wired to be on all the time or only at certain temperatures?

·
Registered
381 Posts
are they wired to be on all the time or only at certain temperatures?
Fans + Relay harness + simple on off switch from the cockpit. The harness has an ignition signal wire so shuts off with ign off but havent found a place to tap in yet.

Considered fans on at certain water or oil temps but with the nature of IC function, heatsoak, and the intervals at which IAT temps change, I figured manual control would be best suited. Basically anytime i think the weather is unusually hot or I know i will be driving hard, they'll be on. Suprisingly quiet from inside the car.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Thanks for the response, could I get specific model numbers?

Will try water/meth mix (external).

Do you happen to know the AMP rating (for fuse) and/or load these draw?

Thanks, Rob.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Roof on/off + fans on/off comparison

Temp 28C
RH 85%

Same test road for hard, 6 peaks
Included Highway cruising speed data max and avg. because this may be relevant since at least for myself, dont plan to hard drive the car with the top off. Note same road but controlled variables not as constant as for hard runs, thus didnt include MIN and Max is not as relevant as Avg. Stock data no fans installed roof on. All RLS data sets have fan in place. All runs Bottleneck unfettled. "RLD" = "RLS" - typo.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #354 ·
:clap:

Great data!

Now, when are you going to fettle your bottleneck? ;)

With 25% or so more air without a fan (and I'd guess about the same with the fan)... I wonder whether you'd get a 25% greater temperature drop across the I/C?

·
Registered
381 Posts
:clap:

Great data!

Now, when are you going to fettle your bottleneck? ;)

With 25% or so more air without a fan (and I'd guess about the same with the fan)... I wonder whether you'd get a 25% greater temperature drop across the I/C?
thanks... yes I'll fettle next, then the WI. Not sure if the increase in flow is 1 to 1 with change in temps but I'm sure it helps. When the fans are on, i can feel the vacuum with my hand placed on the hoop scoop. My guess is the fan's value added will decrease as the fettle location increases. Can't wait to get these silly looking brown wires off the car.

Oh I forgot to include data on the roof scoop temps. 10C down on Avg with out the Cup roof on. sensor relocated to rear hoop air scoop when roof off. AC on windows rolled up.

·
shay2nak
25,205 Posts
the fans have to be on constantly right?

341 - 360 of 698 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.