The Lotus Cars Community banner
381 - 400 of 698 Posts

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
apk...the aluminum heat shield between the top of the engine and the IC...I was thinking the same thing. It would have to be of some help. Also, if one could fabricate another shroud on the engine side if the IC and duct the air directly outside...maybe with a puller fan or two to help it along...
Since I've just solved my data acquisition problems, I'm hoping to get real track data (as opposed to "street" data). I'd like to try the heat shield. I don't know whether shrouds on the exhaust side of the IC would help... but there are a few threads about installing pusher/puller fans. There's another solution out there that replaces the factory IC with an aftermarket IC located near the side scoops... and it sounds like its had some success.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ideally, the entire IC would be shrouded to separate it from the super-hot air in the engine compartment. Probably look ridiculous though.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Andy I'm only saying this because we has tested it on our unlimited buggy, heat transfer in that aluminum ducting is high, or bad in the case of your use. Use silicone its more expensive but won't transfer heat into its charge as easily.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 ·
Andy I'm only saying this because we has tested it on our unlimited buggy, heat transfer in that aluminum ducting is high, or bad in the case of your use. Use silicone its more expensive but won't transfer heat into its charge as easily.
Thanks Brent! Do you have a source for 3" diameter silicone ducting?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've got 2 pieces of 4" -3' silicone race brake duct hose high quality leftover pieces that I would like to donate to your investigational cause if it helps. I'm in San Diego. Let me know if it would help. Just PM me.

I really think an exhaust duct would be critical to maximizing airflow but that's just my gut feeling. Love your work. Keep it up.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·
I've got 2 pieces of 4" -3' silicone race brake duct hose high quality leftover pieces that I would like to donate to your investigational cause if it helps. I'm in San Diego. Let me know if it would help. Just PM me.

I really think an exhaust duct would be critical to maximizing airflow but that's just my gut feeling. Love your work. Keep it up.
Thanks! You have a PM

·
Registered
774 Posts
I've recently mounted up twin SPAL HP "puller fans" directly to the back of my stock I/C. Had the car on the track last weekend, and believe I started to heat-soak out, at approx the 10th lap at Summit/Shenandoah. Did not have the fans wired yet, so not running (maybe even acting as an obstruction :eek:). Going to get the fans actually wired this week, so can hopefully soon provide at least some anecdotal feedback on that here.

In any case, I'm subscribed - and very much looking forward to seeing some real data / results!

If I can help with anything on this project at all too, please just let me know. My car is an '08, but is an exact identical set-up actually, to the 07 S practically, in every way.

Big :up: on the efforts! :clap:

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I agree. BTW, did you remove the upper duct from the clam to add the extra plumbing? That was seriously not fun.
I had the rear window out, so it wasn't that bad. Lots of ABS-plastic shards and dust, though.

It would have been nice if the duct were removable, and doesn't Lotus use the most tenacious urethane/epoxy ever invented?! :crazyeyes

P.S. Somewhere around here I have a photo looking into the duct from behind, similar view to your photo... but the two entry points are top, almost centered.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I had the rear window out, so it wasn't that bad. Lots of ABS-plastic shards and dust, though.

It would have been nice if the duct were removable, and doesn't Lotus use the most tenacious urethane/epoxy ever invented?! :crazyeyes

P.S. Somewhere around here I have a photo looking into the duct from behind, similar view to your photo... but the two entry points are top, almost centered.
Seriously ugly :eek: Just kidding... Did you watch the movie 1942? Duct piping everywhere. :bow:

Why not consider a 3 parts CF housing ( 1st one in the cockpit, 2nd in the engine bay & 3rd the midified the IC shroud ). The PS job is very rough :p

Attachments

381 - 400 of 698 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.