The Lotus Cars Community banner
601 - 620 of 698 Posts

·
He's on fire!
3,540 Posts
No, I didn't see that thread - out of curiosity, did you ever set up the fans to run with additional ducting to the IC? If so, what was the delta for that setup?
I just installed the RLS setup (without fans) this spring, but haven't been out yet. Data is forthcoming, as I will definitely be out in the next month :coolnana:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I just installed the RLS setup (without fans) this spring, but haven't been out yet. Data is forthcoming, as I will definitely be out in the next month :coolnana:
Cheers, thanks for the link and data, I will diffinitely read this.

I also believe fans must help, all manufacturers use them. The only comments I have read that make sense to me is that they don't nearly move enough air for whar the IC needs. This maybe true.

I found a blog on the internet (non lotus related) were a guy used blower fans out of trucks/people movers or high end european cars and it was used for a under bonnet IC which didn't see much air, and claims these blowers really move some air! Also they are shrouded to maximise efficency. I haven't seen any data, but sounds like this would be true.

I also found a inline pipe fan for 3inch duct for feeding air to race drivers to keep them cool. Another mod that may be effective for keeping air to the intercooler at all speeds.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Also, this has been working wonders for me! I have been debating about adding cooling fans to the back of the IC, but haven't gotten around to it yet, and I don't know where to tap for power...

I haven't done this so just going on what I have read.

The fans pull a fair bit of current so you need to run a new fused circuit from the battery through a relay (like a driving light install), the relay can be turned on by a temp sensor or a switch, or a timed circuit with a duty cycle. Might even be able to get a blower switch from the wreckers and wire this in to vary the speed.

For the guys who have done it, they can chime in, it maybe they have some info to add.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
2,104 Posts
I also believe fans must help, all manufacturers use them. The only comments I have read that make sense to me is that they don't nearly move enough air for whar the IC needs. This maybe true.
IC's require a lot of cooling air. That is why you see them in the front of cooling modules. In that location they get the coldest air.

I don't know if I have ever seen an OEM IC with fans attached directly to it, but I could easily be mistaken.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I think the forced fed turbo kit (and also one
of the centrifugal sc kits, [Bemini?]) comes with a small ic with a fan.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Awesome, I look forward to seeing it! I run ducting to the IC and it works well, but if there is a benefit to the fans I'd definitely do it.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Oh yeah..I'm pretty sure the MR2 turbos comes with intercooler fan on the IC.

·
Dog Pilot
75 Posts
The stock IC is pretty small, you couldn't fit a very big fan on there, so you wouldn't be moving a lot of air. I'd think the obstruction of the fan housing/motor would negate much of the benefit.

That said, maybe if you autocross a lot, it might be worth it... but if you do road racing, then it probably does more harm than good. I'm just speculating though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The stock IC is pretty small, you couldn't fit a very big fan on there, so you wouldn't be moving a lot of air. I'd think the obstruction of the fan housing/motor would negate much of the benefit.

That said, maybe if you autocross a lot, it might be worth it... but if you do road racing, then it probably does more harm than good. I'm just speculating though.
This is a common criticism, in Australia the piping and mist spray is commonly used. The track only people go air to water as everything else eventually heatsoaks in our hot climate The mist spray works very well and is a commercial product from SSC.

I am not keen to add misting spray as the container takes up alot of space in the boot and I don't want water spraying on my engine intercooler all the time as mine will be used pretty much as a daily.

·
Dog Pilot
75 Posts
This is a common criticism, in Australia the piping and mist spray is commonly used. The track only people go air to water as everything else eventually heatsoaks in our hot climate The mist spray works very well and is a commercial product from SSC.

I am not keen to add misting spray as the container takes up alot of space in the boot and I don't want water spraying on my engine intercooler all the time as mine will be used pretty much as a daily.
I would also be worried about the rust issue with extended use. But if you don't mind replacing your stuff every now and again, it might be worth it as stock IC blocks are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mist spray allowed in track? I don't think so :(
I am not to sure about track situations but I would imagine for some events it is allowed in Australia as a number of people fit the misting spray and do track days.

It has proven to be extremely effective, it uses an extremely fine spray, sprayed directly into the shroud using a high pressure pump. The pump and container fit in the boot and take up alot of space.

I don't know to much about them, only seen them fitted in the boots of cars. If you want to know more info you can contact the supplier. SSC (simply sports cars)

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I am not to sure about track situations but I would imagine for some events it is allowed in Australia as a number of people fit the misting spray and do track days.

It has proven to be extremely effective, it uses an extremely fine spray, sprayed directly into the shroud using a high pressure pump. The pump and container fit in the boot and take up alot of space.

I don't know to much about them, only seen them fitted in the boots of cars. If you want to know more info you can contact the supplier. SSC (simply sports cars)
Couple vendors are selling this, as far as I remember RLS's has the spray mix with alcohol 50/50 and use the washer bottle. And the spray is based on RPM.

But I knew some track not allow as you don't want to have liquid on track if it leaks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Couple vendors are selling this, as far as I remember RLS's has the spray mix with alcohol 50/50 and use the washer bottle. And the spray is based on RPM.

But I knew some track not allow as you don't want to have liquid on track if it leaks.
I can't comment on the RLS unit, maybe tomasio can chime in on his design.

All I know is the ones down under don't use a washer bottle. It is a 4 litre container (abouts) and has an external high pressure pump. It doesn't squirt like a washer bottle, it mists. Therefore there is no running or dripping water from the car. They are also not that cheap. Apparently the pumps are expensive and you need to use distilled water as the misting jet can get blocked very easy due to it's small size.

As I said, this is about the extent of my knowledge on these items. I dismissed them pretty early, primary due to the loss of boot space (picture attached) and continual refilling of the tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #616 ·
It's great to see more work being done trying to improve the airflow to the intercooler.

:clap:

However... as I've done a fair bit of tracking with my 2-Eleven, data logged the IATs... *and* fettled the 2-Eleven intercooler intake ducts, replaced the OEM ducting with high quality brake ducting... I think I can say with some authority:

Two 4" diameter cooling ducts are *still* not enough to keep the intercooler from becoming heat soaked in most (Southwest USA) race conditions.

From my data logs, I'd say I lose somewhere around 30-50 whp when the intercooler heat soaks under race/qualification conditions.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,593 Posts
It's great to see more work being done trying to improve the airflow to the intercooler.

:clap:

However... as I've done a fair bit of tracking with my 2-Eleven, data logged the IATs... *and* fettled the 2-Eleven intercooler intake ducts, replaced the OEM ducting with high quality brake ducting... I think I can say with some authority:

Two 4" diameter cooling ducts are *still* not enough to keep the intercooler from becoming heat soaked in most (Southwest USA) race conditions.

From my data logs, I'd say I lose somewhere around 30-50 whp when the intercooler heat soaks under race/qualification conditions.
Stock IC?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #618 ·
Stock IC?
Yes, Lotus OEM intercooler.

Here's an example... the first frame is from the end of the out lap heading on to the front straight at Buttonwillow Raceway... the IAT is about 118F (gauge is just to the right of the speedo). The second frame is at the same point on the track near the end of the first hot lap... the IAT is about 140F (22F higher after one lap).

(Note also that the spark advance is around 2-3 degrees less in the second frame as well)

Attachments

·
** The Enforcer **
7,593 Posts
I did dyno pulls before and after my Blade 300 installation with the RLS IC, heatshield and 3-chamber shroud (before and after). Three dyno pulls back to back (before and after) and the lines were right on top of each other with only a fan pointed at the front of the car. Obviously not an ideal situation for the IC with no air being fed to the hood scoop and side scoops. 2007 Exige S so the half roof scoop.

The stock Lotus IC is weak. Not surprised it's easily heat soaked. Wish I'd done dyno pulls on the stock IC for comparison.

San

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #620 ·
I did dyno pulls before and after my Blade 300 installation with the RLS IC, heatshield and 3-chamber shroud (before and after). Three dyno pulls back to back (before and after) and the lines were right on top of each other with only a fan pointed at the front of the car. Obviously not an ideal situation for the IC with no air being fed to the hood scoop and side scoops. 2007 Exige S so the half roof scoop.

The stock Lotus IC is weak. Not surprised it's easily heat soaked. Wish I'd done dyno pulls on the stock IC for comparison.

San
FWIW, I have a heatshield (with gold foil insulation) between my intercooler and the engine/exhaust as well (even though the 2-Eleven's intercooler is located far behind the Exige's location). And, FWIW... when I had my car dyno'd... the three pulls were also within a few HP of each other.

Sadly, I think real-life conditions are much harsher than dyno conditions.

601 - 620 of 698 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.