The Lotus Cars Community banner
681 - 698 of 698 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Thomasio the old owner of www.reallylightstuff.com had something like that installed on his own personnal car I think.

He was also selling the kit but the new owner of reallylightstuff dont sell it anymore I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts

Zero science involved... you can tell by the zip ties that’s the case... but ended up doing 4” to both sides and just some homemade fiber glass scoops

Literally molding around a Taco Bell cup a buddy had in his truck.

Driver side is a bit fancier... used a McD’s cup and split it off to both the ITG and the 4” IC.

forgot to take a picture after it was finished and mounted :(

·
Registered
2007 Phantom Black Exige S
359 Posts
Zero science involved... you can tell by the zip ties that’s the case... but ended up doing 4” to both sides and just some homemade fiber glass scoops

View attachment 1268613

Literally molding around a Taco Bell cup a buddy had in his truck.

Driver side is a bit fancier... used a McD’s cup and split it off to both the ITG and the 4” IC.

forgot to take a picture after it was finished and mounted :(
Well done! I need to do the same thing now that my 4" IC shroud has shipped. A couple of questions:
  1. How did you secure the fabricated ducts to the clam
  2. What are you planning to do with the center inlet from the roof scoop, i.e., did you block/seal that portion?
Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think that an important part of the air flow from the side scoops is to circulate air through the engine compartment and out the back.
If you route all that air from the side scoops only to the intercooler as you appear to have done the engine compartment air cooling is eliminated.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I think that an important part of the air flow from the side scoops is to circulate air through the engine compartment and out the back.
If you route all that air from the side scoops only to the intercooler as you appear to have done the engine compartment air cooling is eliminated.
Nah it's fine. Exige engine bay is wide open above the engine anyways. If you're worried just remove the muffler heat shield and open up that area to greatly increase flow.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
This is what we need to do:
Credit to Wire Wheel
View attachment 1268734
I often thought about that picture, and one member here has a small scale copycat! But in the end I decided that water cooled would be better and that NA would be even better then that for now... One day once the car is all reliable I will go to water cooled turbo K24.....

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well done! I need to do the same thing now that my 4" IC shroud has shipped. A couple of questions:
  1. How did you secure the fabricated ducts to the clam
  2. What are you planning to do with the center inlet from the roof scoop, i.e., did you block/seal that portion?
Thanks.
1)

they are bolted to the clam on both sides to this hole.

2)

I closed off the Mohawk scoop to the IC and kept it being fed by both 4” tubes. I did open the roof scoop itself to add air throughout the engine bay (which is still blows my mind that the tiny little roof scoop was going to cool an IC)

The engine bay itself isn’t as sealed as a stock Exige. I run the rear delete and BOE ST exhaust with a lot of crap pulled out... plus those scoops don’t seal all the way so some air gets around them. The engine bay feels no different than it normally did post-road driving. Would need to track it soon to really see the temp differences.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I will stick will the 2ZZ I would never take the k24 route, if I had the ability to make my own fiberglass, I would totally copy that method.
that’s just some cardboard and aluminum foil away from a masterpiece!! :D keep those amazon boxes and snag a Home Depot gift card at Xmas... bam. In all honesty you could make one hell of a strong homemade scoop like this design it just wouldn’t be as “perfect”.

it would be hillbilly Adrian newey!

·
Registered
359 Posts
1)

they are bolted to the clam on both sides to this hole.

2)

I closed off the Mohawk scoop to the IC and kept it being fed by both 4” tubes. I did open the roof scoop itself to add air throughout the engine bay (which is still blows my mind that the tiny little roof scoop was going to cool an IC)

The engine bay itself isn’t as sealed as a stock Exige. I run the rear delete and BOE ST exhaust with a lot of crap pulled out... plus those scoops don’t seal all the way so some air gets around them. The engine bay feels no different than it normally did post-road driving. Would need to track it soon to really see the temp differences.
Thanks. I'm going to mount these after some trimming and measure the airflow vs. a couple of other ducts. They're approx 1.75x7.75 inlet and 4" outlet.

Another view:

·
He's on fire!
3,452 Posts
Where did you get those? Custom?

Thanks. I'm going to mount these after some trimming and measure the airflow vs. a couple of other ducts. They're approx 1.75x7.75 inlet and 4" outlet.

Anotehr view:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Where did you get those? Custom?
Long story, but these are Roush NASCAR nose ducts that were suggested as a viable option from a friend who used to work at Roush. The part numbers are 30-089-0290 (LH Upper Nose Duct version 2) and 30-089-0291 (RH Upper...). They can be found on ebay occasionally and there is another pair for sale currently.

I know this has been discussed extensively, but I'm conducting some airflow measurements on these with the 4" inlet shroud using these and two other air inlet options (4" hose only and a reinforced silicone 5" to 4" transition in lieu of a scoops). I've completed some preliminary testing on the shroud using the 4" hose only and it seems clear that adding internal partitions has a significant, positive effect on directly airflow through the intercooler. Using an anemometer I have observed a 37% increase in CFM through the intercooler with the partitions.

Some photos of the installation. The partitions are 1mm thick carbon fiber epoxied in place after testing.

Remark- edited to address typos.

681 - 698 of 698 Posts