The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys;

I have a new to me 2007 Exige S. I think it has some sort of sport or track suspension. I was wondering if there was a way to identify what type it is and was also wondering if the dampeners may be adjustable?

The sway bars are yellow and it looks like there's some sort of bumpy knob on the bottom of the struts. Will need to clean them to see better.

The suspension is pretty harsh, so I was wondering if there was a way of reducing the dampening to soften it up a bit for the street.

Thanks

·
Administrator
2,078 Posts
Photos?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
You have the bilstein track pack shocks, if there is an adjustment knob. You can try softening the damping but you're at the mercy of the valving.

I took off my track pack shocks and bought a set of used Elise base shocks (not the LSS shocks). Still handles great, but now is supple like a stock Elise. I don't track my car so I am very happy with the setup. Only cost me $200... compared to the $2500 for the Penske setup I was eyeballing.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
If you have the track pack shocks, set the fronts at #3 and the rears at #2 for the street. Front tire pressures at 26, rears at 29. I did a blat this morning through the Napa and Solano County hills. Some of the roads were very rough others were smooth. Car was planted and comfortable. My friend in the 911 said he had a hard time keeping up but we both had a great time.

YMMV.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
If you have the track pack shocks, set the fronts at #3 and the rears at #2 for the street. Front tire pressures at 26, rears at 29. I did a blat this morning through the Napa and Solano County hills. Some of the roads were very rough others were smooth. Car was planted and comfortable. My friend in the 911 said he had a hard time keeping up but we both had a great time.

YMMV.
Thats just bad advice with a bad anecdote to back it up. You have no idea what tires he is on, if the shocks are blown and thats why they are so bad etc etc. What if he drives around on Trofeo R's or China specials or Hoosier A7s. All want WILDLY different pressures. Hot or cold?

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Thats just bad advice with a bad anecdote to back it up. You have no idea what tires he is on, if the shocks are blown and thats why they are so bad etc etc. What if he drives around on Trofeo R's or China specials or Hoosier A7s. All want WILDLY different pressures. Hot or cold?
My sincerest apologies for the bad advice...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies guys. I took a picture. (car is so dirty underneath) I can see that there are numbers on the knob at the bottom of the strut. This picture is of the rear right tire. I'm running AD048 tires.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
What's the date code on the A048? Those tires turn into rocks... If you're dead set on keeping the Track Pack Shocks, new tires will definitely help with harshness.

Reactions: 6TVRs+

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK, so I can see date codes on the two tires on one side of the car 2015. On the other side I don't see a date code, but a barcode instead..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figured the tires are a bit on the old side, but not totally done yet? Would they be at 5 years?

The rears are set at 4, and I assume the fronts would be 3 which I think is stock settings? Could dialing them down to a lower number make the ride less harsh as StressCraxx has mentioned?

I realize to make a big difference I may need different shocks, maybe the tires are over the hill as well, but it might be worth trying a few quicker options first?

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
What are your tire pressures, what wheels do you have?

You will feel 4 pound heavier wheels in the ride

If you have not driven an Exige before, the ride is something you get used to. While broken pavement is not my friend, I am used to the track pack at this point.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just checked my tire pressures. Fronts are 27psi, rear are 30. Here's a picture of the rims I have.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I figured the tires are a bit on the old side, but not totally done yet? Would they be at 5 years?

The rears are set at 4, and I assume the fronts would be 3 which I think is stock settings? Could dialing them down to a lower number make the ride less harsh as StressCraxx has mentioned?

I realize to make a big difference I may need different shocks, maybe the tires are over the hill as well, but it might be worth trying a few quicker options first?
3 Front and 2 Rear are the Track Pack settings recommended by Lotus for the street and by Rob Dietsch. Recommended tire pressures to start with are on the drivers door post - 26 front, 29 rear. You're close.

Adjusting the rear shocks to 2 will soften the rear a significant amount. Going too soft (lower setting number) may cause the suspension to bottom out on bumps.

Tire construction makes a big difference too. Track day tires are much stiffer sidewall construction and much more harsh on the street. Touring all season tires have softer sidewalls for a relatively more comfortable ride. Most people don't realize that half of your car's suspension is in the tires. The tires themselves have their own spring rates, somewhat adjustable by tire pressures.

The wheels you have are the LSS (Lotus Sport Suspension) wheels, they are good and light, wider at front than the base wheels.

More bad advice for you.

Regards,
Dan

·
Registered
493 Posts

As a general rule, the "special" 200TW are a race tire "lite". They are more subject to heat cycles than an average tire. Compared to a new set of the same, they are "toast" at 2-3 years at best...it's TIME.

Anything with a 50TW...even more so!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll update this thread as I make updates to the car.
I jacked up my 07 Exige wanting to verify the Penske shock settings. You should know I was too lazy and didn't remove the wheels. I was not able to find the index mark on the strut assembly to know how they are set. Where is the mark that lines up with the the number on the thumb wheel? Thanks

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys. I took a picture. (car is so dirty underneath) I can see that there are numbers on the knob at the bottom of the strut. This picture is of the rear right tire. I'm running AD048 tires.

View attachment 1267207
I'm not expert - and I fear ridicule from my fellow forum members on this thread, but here I go...

The factory Bilsteins are generally yellow bodied with black springs. IIRC

what i see here is a red spring (I have some guesses) and the adjuster knob is blue. That lend me to think these are Nitron singles. Be better to see it with the wheel off, and maybe a little cleaner.

Anyway, once you figure out what you have, there's a lot of data out there about setting it up for street or track. At the end of the day, start with what people recommend, and then adjust to your comfort/driving.

EDIT: not changing my comment above, but I am going to note that I was corrected, and disregard my info here.. it's just inaccurate :) oops

·
Registered
600 Posts
I jacked up my 07 Exige wanting to verify the Penske shock settings. You should know I was too lazy and didn't remove the wheels. I was not able to find the index mark on the strut assembly to know how they are set. Where is the mark that lines up with the the number on the thumb wheel? Thanks
Penskes are set in terms of "clicks from full stiff". You probably have about 40 clicks of rebound adjustment. No idea how many compression clicks the 7500s have... maybe 10-20? The 8300 compression canisters have ~22 clicks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts