The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first off I'd like to thank you guys for amazing asking of information on these cats that taught me a lot!

However I have some specific questions that I wasn't able to find an answer to,

1) is 2007 a bad year for the exige s ? Reason why I ask is because most that are for sale are 2007

2) what are some must do mods, whether it be for reliability or upgrades

3) I am for sure changing the diffuser on my exige s when it comes in, where do I find the diy for that?

4) how long those the clutch last typically?

5) do you have to remove the rear clam to change the clutch? Again is there a diy guide?

6) I've read that the 2007 exige s wing might wobble , what is the cure?

7) if my exige has the ac hiccup problem where is a good place to order the module? Online or cheaper?

8) are there any way to improve the shifter feel?

That's all the questions I have for now
Thanks I'm advance

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,557 Posts
Sure a couple things first as Flag G said there are more of them. Still they are quite popular as a platform for modification.

You might want to find one with a build date in early 2007 ( you would need to look up the requisite month ) because they state that a new process was introduced for the oil cooling connection hoses.

Lots can be done to improve the shifting, but in my opinion only to help, it won't make is wonderful, just stable and acceptable.

Flywheel definetly helps some... I have the Fidenza and like it. That is all I can pretend to intelligently respond to on your queries.

good luck ! tard

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info so far guys

just a couple more questions

oil pan, i was told i should get one that is enlarged so the engine wont oil starve under heavy lateral g's ?

and another thing, is toe end link
was told these will just "come off" if the car goes under track use, whats a solution for these?

thanks

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
oil pan, i was told i should get one that is enlarged so the engine wont oil starve under heavy lateral g's ?

If you track the car you need a baffled pan. if you drive just on the street it is not needed

BOE make nice baffled pan for the Exige

toe end link
was told these will just "come off" if the car goes under track use, whats a solution for these?

If you have a Exige and it has the track pack option than the car already has a toe link brace.

If not there are number of companies selling tow link brace BOE, sector 111

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What size is the brake pad for the exige s?

The pads on the car now seem glazed or just really crap

Do the exige s calipers share the same pads with other cars?

Thanks, will new using for both track and street
So probably won't buy two sets YET

does the exige and elise share the same brake caliper? meaning i can use the same brake pads?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump
what kind of dampening do you guys recommend for track?

i have the track pack (the red silver bilstein coilovers)
not sure if i should do 7 from softest front, and 8 from softest rear

some inputs would be awesome

*tried searching but not really a good definite answer as it just shows the alignment paper and shows only 1 setting

thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
For track, the manual recommends 8 for front and 7 for rear. Make sure the number is aligned with the red dot. There is a sticky in the Suspension Thread for oem and track setting. Have fun.

GTED

bump
what kind of dampening do you guys recommend for track?

i have the track pack (the red silver bilstein coilovers)
not sure if i should do 7 from softest front, and 8 from softest rear

some inputs would be awesome

*tried searching but not really a good definite answer as it just shows the alignment paper and shows only 1 setting

thanks

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
1) is 2007 a bad year for the exige s ? Reason why I ask is because most that are for sale are 2007

Cheapest year that was supercharged, and just as capable as any other year.

ECU and possibly a smaller pulley would be fairly straight forward and give noticable rewards

3) I am for sure changing the diffuser on my exige s when it comes in, where do I find the diy for that?

Very simple to do, you'll have to learn how to take it off anyways in order to change oil or exhaust, its like 12 bolts

I replaced mine at 60K miles just because I was doing other stuff. I was making more power then a 2007 Exige S would have

5) do you have to remove the rear clam to change the clutch? Again is there a diy guide?

You probably don't have too, but its a sight to behold once you have the back end off. Every thing is SO MUCH easier

Get a clam mounted wing. Its not the wing so much that wobbles, its the hatch. But its a big jump drilling holes in your clam.

7) if my exige has the ac hiccup problem where is a good place to order the module? Online or cheaper?

I have no experience or advice on this. A/C sucks in anything over 90*F

Not really. Some cheap bandaids and some expensive bandaids. But you'll just never be able to trully fix it

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For track, the manual recommends 8 for front and 7 for rear. Make sure the number is aligned with the red dot. There is a sticky in the Suspension Thread for oem and track setting. Have fun.

GTED
Thank you so much!

Cheapest year that was supercharged, and just as capable as any other year.

ECU and possibly a smaller pulley would be fairly straight forward and give noticable rewards

Very simple to do, you'll have to learn how to take it off anyways in order to change oil or exhaust, its like 12 bolts

I replaced mine at 60K miles just because I was doing other stuff. I was making more power then a 2007 Exige S would have

You probably don't have too, but its a sight to behold once you have the back end off. Every thing is SO MUCH easier

Get a clam mounted wing. Its not the wing so much that wobbles, its the hatch. But its a big jump drilling holes in your clam.

I have no experience or advice on this. A/C sucks in anything over 90*F

Not really. Some cheap bandaids and some expensive bandaids. But you'll just never be able to trully fix it
Thank you for taking my time to answer all my questions!
I'm loving the car :nanner2:
just need to take a day off to tighten all the screws to make sure there isnt rattles in the car INSIDE

I was told that the larini SE exhaust is bad for the exige since it isn't a straight design, but i really love the look of the dual tip euro style
is it OK to still run it?

what kind of intake would the good for the exige s or is stock pretty much one of the best already? I've read the uberthread but majority of them are quite old so i dont know if it applies to the 2007 exige s completely or partially

once again, thank you for your time in answering my questions

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been searching for the past couple hours

When I clutch-in i feel that the rpm decels really slow around the 2k mark, and somewhat hovers there?
Is this normal? Its very apparent especially during city cruise when I come to a stop and put the car in neutral or downshifting and just letting the revs drop

not sure if this is normal as I never had this happen to me in other cars, this is my first Lotus so yea...

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I was told that the larini SE exhaust is bad for the exige since it isn't a straight design, but i really love the look of the dual tip euro style

No its fine. The length of the exhuast on these cars is very small compared to most cars, so its not as big a deal. When you start getting up to the 250HP+ mark (arbitrary number) you can start thinking about to extract more power, but your fine for now

what kind of intake would the good for the exige s or is stock pretty much one of the best already? I've read the uberthread but majority of them are quite old so i dont know if it applies to the 2007 exige s completely or partially

The problem has always been the sensitivity of the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. Because the of inevitable curves and shapes of the short intake you have to be carefull about how the computer interprets the MAF on a particular intake design. In the 2005-2007 years of these cars there just wasn't much experience with tuning the ECU. Things are better today, but on a stock ECU the stock intake is still best bet. Its a 75mm pipe thats like 8" long so it really doesn't impose much restriction. You can replace the paper filter with a K&N or other wire mesh type filter to increase air flow. If you want the sound of aftermarket intake, take a 4" hole saw to the outer side of the air filter housing, that will make the intake MUCH louder and suffer none of the problems associated with the MAF.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

No its fine. The length of the exhuast on these cars is very small compared to most cars, so its not as big a deal. When you start getting up to the 250HP+ mark (arbitrary number) you can start thinking about to extract more power, but your fine for now

The problem has always been the sensitivity of the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. Because the of inevitable curves and shapes of the short intake you have to be carefull about how the computer interprets the MAF on a particular intake design. In the 2005-2007 years of these cars there just wasn't much experience with tuning the ECU. Things are better today, but on a stock ECU the stock intake is still best bet. Its a 75mm pipe thats like 8" long so it really doesn't impose much restriction. You can replace the paper filter with a K&N or other wire mesh type filter to increase air flow. If you want the sound of aftermarket intake, take a 4" hole saw to the outer side of the air filter housing, that will make the intake MUCH louder and suffer none of the problems associated with the MAF.
thanks for the reply, you are very informative
i will think about doing the 4" hole saw

btw can you help me with this? thanks so much
Been searching for the past couple hours

When I clutch-in i feel that the rpm decels really slow around the 2k mark, and somewhat hovers there?
Is this normal? Its very apparent especially during city cruise when I come to a stop and put the car in neutral or downshifting and just letting the revs drop

not sure if this is normal as I never had this happen to me in other cars, this is my first Lotus so yea...

thanks in advance

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can't help you too much on that with out seeing it. Many cars linger on the RPM when taking out of gear. I don't know why.
Is it normal?
What really happens is whenever you give gas or what not
The rev will go up normally, but when it drops it will hover at 1500 for like a tenth of a second then drop back to normal idle

Thought out was some kind of anti stall, but thought I'd ask to make sure its normal

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Larini SE is fine for street use--- when I bought mine in January '08 from S111, it was recommended for the Exige. A couple of years later they said it's not for supercharged cars, but never really said why. I'm not sure if it's the exhaust design itself, or, because the through the grill design generates more heat under the clam in track applications.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts