The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone... so i seem to be having a problem with my car and I'm seeking advice from any fellow lotus members here. So to start off.. the car has been in winter hibernation for the last 5 months with the odd start/warm up every couple weeks. I decided to take the car out for a drive today since the temperature is getting warmer now and noticed something odd. Everytime i make a right hand turn from a stop/traffic light wether its from a dead stop or rolling the car starts to sputter/bog down and the traction light will start flashing. At first i thought it was something in my head or maybe some gravel on the road but i soon realized it wasn't going away. keep in mind it only does this on RIGHT turns ONLY. Even after an hour of casual driving the problem was still there. I then decided to push the traction control button to turn it off completely and the car runs perfect. I can take turns normal under any condition and the car drives normal. Once i push the traction button again to turn it back on, the problem comes back. I have no clue what could of caused this. Before the winter the car ran perfect until storage. Could something just go bad like that? Any help with this problem is greatly appreciated.

thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Most likely this is a sensor or a wire failure. You can try checking and cleaning the connectors first to see if that helps. To really find the problem you would have to have Lotus's diagnostic tool or know how to use a oscilloscope and look at the raw signals from the sensors to determine which one is failing.

Good Luck,
Eldon

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did install an aftermarket stereo to be honest while it was in storage. Could that have caused a problem?

·
Registered
765 Posts
If I recall correctly, this exact problem can be caused by the installation of an aftermarket stereo system and the installer tapping into the wrong wire for powering the head unit.

I remember something being mentioned about a green/grey wire (or was it grey/green)? Tapping into the wrong wire for power messes with the voltage sensor for the traction control, causing the sensor to trip inappropriately. Something along those lines...

Maybe someone with more knowledge of the wiring harness could pitch in on this?

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Did you adjust your tire pressure back to normal on all tires after taking the car out of storage?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no i haven't really checked the tire pressure. i will do that tomorrow and see how it goes. thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with eldonz. Sensor is built in to the hub. Take it in to make sure you get the correct wheel. They cost about $200 a wheel.

Hub/Bearing Assembly, with wheel speed sensor
Part Number: A117D6005F

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to tie it up because there wasn't a clear result. I had the same issue where my traction control would cut in when leaving a stop and turning right. Even when not accelerating hard. Thanks to David Simkin (technical manager Lotus USA - he was very responsive and helpful), he mentioned the stereo as a potential cause and mentioned this thread. I was able to test it out today and the issue went away with my stereo off. I switched back and forth a few times to confirm it wasn't a fluke. My stereo even came with the harness adapter but it is the problem.
Update: my stock stereo was Alpine. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts