The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recevied my Micro Mirror and the instructions are the same ones they provide for the 2005-06 cars. To me it doesn't look like they would apply, and I'm not at all interested in learning the hard way and cracking the windshield.

So, can anyone comment on the removal procedure for the newer style mirror?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
643 Posts
When I removed the mirror from my '07, the mirror stalk just slid up and off of the base that's glued to the windshield. It's just held on with friction. If I remember (it's been years at this point), I just got a good firm grip on the mirror stalk as low as I could with one hand, applied a little upward pressure, and popped that hand with the other. It was a nervous moment, but it did require some force (the quick blow with my second hand) versus just pressure. The key to avoiding a broken windshield is to avoid heavy tools and make sure the pressure and force is applied parallel to the rake of the windshield.

-Brad

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Don't worry about cracking the windshield. You'd have to hang off the mirror or do something equally stupid to break it. I use a paint can opener for leverage, but I have an '05.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I removed the mirror from my '07, the mirror stalk just slid up and off of the base that's glued to the windshield. It's just held on with friction.
Thanks for the info, it is indeed just held on by friction on the 07+ cars. I gave it a good look this morning and it popped off with a modest upward push. Now I can learn to work with the tiny new mirror. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
The new style mirror starting with the '07 year cars is much simpler to remove than the earlier version that is notoriously difficult to remove. There are no spring clips and the mirror just slides up and off the mounting plinth. Just push the base upward along the slope of the windshield and it will release from the plinth. As long as you are not prying the mirror base away from the glass you will not break the windshield.

Edit: Too late, looks like you figured it out. :clap:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Does the new micro mirror just slide right back on..? I want one for my '08..

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slides back on, then two small set screws keep it put. So it's easy to remove if you don't like it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Thanks for the info, it is indeed just held on by friction on the 07+ cars. I gave it a good look this morning and it popped off with a modest upward push. Now I can learn to work with the tiny new mirror. :)
No worries. Glad it worked. Good luck with the new mirror. I can't think of any other car where changing your rearview mirror gains you both rearward and forward visibility.

-Brad

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I just wanted to bump this up because I know we have quite a few new folks here. I finally mustered up the courage to remove my mirror and it was easy. I remember reading the horror stories and was terrified I'd crack my windshield, but after searching, I realized it is the 05-06 cars with a different mirror mount that were the difficult mirrors. I just used my hand and gave it a couple smacks upward. I couldn't tell if it was coming off until it was just flopped, so then I gave it one more nudge and caught it with my other hand. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts