The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at an unsold 2007 and everything's cool on it but the included Sport Pack. The dealer tells me that the tires on this car go quickly - needing replacement about every 4,000 miles. This is simply not in my budget as I'm looking for more of a daily driver vehicle - however the car drove, um, sexily (is that a real word?).

What are some real-world expectations with the 2007 Sport Pack on the Elise as far as ride and maintenance?

:bow:

·
Registered
487 Posts
There are other kinds of tires that can fit onto the sports size rims, so after the first set goes you could switch to something that will last longer... though of course you won't get the same performance, but the car will still drive pretty amazing

I would expect if I were you, having to replace tires every 15-20k miles if you switch to another brand. Still less than other cars, but that's about the best you can hope for with an Elise

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I have a '06 with sport-pack. I run the OEM Yoko Advan A048s and drive it as a daily-driver. Unless you track the car, the tires will last quite a bit -- fronts might last 15,000+ miles and the rears might last 10,000+ miles.

On my Lotus, my fronts are still the original with about 17k miles and I've changed my rears around 12.5k miles. (My blog has some more info) I tracked the car once so far. I think I can go another 2k-3k until I replace all four.

Yeah, the tires are quite expensive, but they are great! Also there are some other cheaper tires that last much longer, too.

I have put about 17k miles in seven months. I bought the car new (was '06 but new) and it is my daily driver. There have been a number of minor headaches, but I just love the car. It is like dating a super hot, but somewhat bitchy girl... ;)

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I had corded the passenger rear A048 at just over 7000 miles and the driver's side was just about to cord.

As wasabi said above, there are several other tire options that will fit on the Sport wheels. Bridgestone RE01-R, Toyo R888s, Toyo Proxes T1R, Goodyear F1GS-D3, Hankook Venus Z212, Kuhmo Ecsta SPT to name a few.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I'm looking at an unsold 2007 and everything's cool on it but the included Sport Pack. The dealer tells me that the tires on this car go quickly - needing replacement about every 4,000 miles. This is simply not in my budget as I'm looking for more of a daily driver vehicle - however the car drove, um, sexily (is that a real word?).

What are some real-world expectations with the 2007 Sport Pack on the Elise as far as ride and maintenance?

4k is very pessimistic for life on the Yoko A048. If you drive it daily you'll definitely want to upgrade (downgrade?) to a longer wearing tire, however.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Tire wear is a function of tire compound and how hard you drive. The A048 sport package tires are as close to a OEM street legal track tire as you'll find. Therefore they wear very quickly compared to "normal" performance tires, especially if the car is tracked or driven hard. Replacing them with a regular high performance tire should get you 15k miles minimum, and you're unlikely to notice the performance difference on the street. If you plan the track the car, you may want a dedicated tire/ wheel combo for that purpose.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My Elise is a daily driver. I drive it spiritedly on a regular basis, cornering hard or using WOT at any opportunity, plus I autocross 3-5x per year. Rear A048's last about 7000 miles. Fronts 15000 plus. I know I could get more out of them if I eased up a little.

I would switch to a different tire for more life, as some have listed above, but I love having the amazing performance all the time. I don't even want to settle for 'really good'. :shift:

4000 sounds terrible in terms of tire life - I think you would have to clutch-dump all the time to tear them up that fast.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Other thing you may want to think about if tires are not in your budget would be the cost of other services, if you dont do them yourself you are going to may lots for oil change and other standard things...

My first set of A048's lasted less then 3,000 miles, 2900 highway and less then 100 track miles...

You can always swap them out when you buy the car and sell them on here...you will get your money back on them if they are new...

·
Registered
740 Posts
I did 2 track days + 6K miles. Rears are bad now, not recommended for driving in rain anymore. Will do a autoX school and then replace the rears. Fronts are still good to go.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The fronts heat cycle into petrified rubber and last 10K plus miles, the rears last about 7,000.

·
Registered
244 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is that the rear tires (225-45-17) are the same regardless of sport vs. touring. The fronts are the ones that are different between the packges. If you get touring (or standard) you have more front tire options that may get you more miles but you're limited in the rears regardless. I think an argument can be made that the sport suspension is tougher on tires (maybe?) and will wear them faster, but I really don't know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts