The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of us will be here playing this weekend at TDE event. Come out and check it out if you're not going to be there already:shift:.

http://www.eaglescanyon.com

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I'm going to be there already. Will be happy to see you there! Seems like our two cars show up in the same place more often than would be expected.

xtn

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Im going to be running at TWS... :)

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Saturday I replaced my clutch and brake fluid, inspecting all pads and rotors in the process. Pads have plenty of thickness left, and appear to be wearing pretty evenly all around. New pads are in a box in my garage. Rotors are showing signs of heavy use, but will make it a couple more weekends. New rotors are also in a box in my garage.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See you guys at the track :shift:...

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Sweet. Every time one of you uses Badaraones in a sentence you own me a $0.01 royalty fee. My accounts receivable is up to about four cents now!

xtn

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This ain't exactly an Elise/Exige type of track, but hey, it's pretty fun and immensely hard on the brakes. Once they get all the grading and runoff areas really cleaned up and grow some nice grass, it’ll be a very beautiful course to behold.

Hope everybody got home alright, see you most of you guys at MSR Cresson soon:shift:

Much thx for the great food Morty:clap::bow:. We should have seen what kind of lap time we could have gotten with that van:D...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got Crack???

Never actually seen one in person, but now I can say I have. It's not from a Loti.

Turn 6 at ECR, there's a monster there that eats your brakes:huh:...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The above mentioned monster seems to like front splitters for desert.

Thanks to all who contributed to me having such a great time this weekend.
xtn

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds like you guys had a good time. Yes, turn 6 is where I sacrificed my pads to the gods of speed. The rough pavement in the braking zone is such a joy in a light-weight car.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Off topic a bit, but the combination of DFW-area folks and brake discussions on this thread perhaps make it okay. I just put in new Porterfield R4-S pads based on what i found in the forum's "recommended brake pad" threads from a few months ago. Now I seem to be seeing strong opinions against the Porterfields, but I'm afraid I'm second-guessing myself.

I drive mostly street, with about 6 track events per year. Am I endangering myself and others with R4-S pads, or will it really matter that much? Many strong opinions have been posted, but I wonder if that's because the silent majority with middle-range experiences and less-demonstrative personalities don't bother posting.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Am I endangering myself and others with R4-S pads, or will it really matter that much? Many strong opinions have been posted, but I wonder if that's because the silent majority with middle-range experiences and less-demonstrative personalities don't bother posting.

Thoughts?
I tried R4-S pads in '05, I found they sucked untill they got some heat in them and wore thru them fast under my braking punishment.

Now the race specific R-4 pad is what I run on my Cartoon Car all the time, track and street, rain or shine. Get great wear and good bite and feel from them, and are good right out the bat in 30º F temps. Seem pretty freindly to my rotor too, with 179 sessions on my DBA 5000 rotors. No cracking which is amazing, but are dishing pretty good, still lots of slot showing all around...

I've never run R-4 on stock rotor:shrug:...

Gunguy, I think I was sitting on the bump stops under braking into 6, that's proabably why my car feels like it want to bounce off the track. Nitrons are calling my name:coolnana:...

·
Registered
257 Posts
...I found they sucked untill they got some heat in them and wore thru them fast...

Thanks for the advice. I was concerned about the oxymoronic reports of sudden fade, particularly since I've convinced my reluctant but indulging wife to drive in June's TWS TDE event. I'd rather avoid having my poor pad choice cause her to go off track.

It sounds like you did not experience - or at least mention - this fading. If the only issues are mediocre performance and short life, then I'm probably okay, as my braking skill is probably 10% of yours. If the pads wear quickly, then I can replace them that much sooner with better ones.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice. I was concerned about the oxymoronic reports of sudden fade, particularly since I've convinced my reluctant but indulging wife to drive in June's TWS TDE event. I'd rather avoid having my poor pad choice cause her to go off track.

It sounds like you did not experience - or at least mention - this fading. If the only issues are mediocre performance and short life, then I'm probably okay, as my braking skill is probably 10% of yours. If the pads wear quickly, then I can replace them that much sooner with better ones.
Only real problem I had was on the street. Going to TWS I blew thru a light at 21 and Hwy 6 that was turning red because I had no initial bite and too late when it finally did. Don't recall every feeling them fade at TWS way back then.

·
Registered
135 Posts
+1 on R4S need some heat. I would not advise them for normal use on the street.

Yaudi - Nitrons - get em - love em.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Forgive me if I was too vague in my previous comment. Yes, they are advertised as a "street" pad, but normal street driving doesn't allow them to reach temperatures where they will bite well. At the track they warm up and give "good" performance, but as Yaudi noted, they wear quickly/dangerously. It's really a compromise pad that is good for neither street or track in my opinion.

Also like Yaudi, I had had some scary moments on the street where the R4S would simply not grip at all.

For the original poster that drives on the street and does 6 DEs a year, I would advise against the R4S in favor of even the OE pads. In a panic stop with cool brakes, the R4Ss just can't be trusted, and the OE pads are more than capable for a casual track addict.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts