The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We saw the Exige GT3 here: http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53690

I wanted to track down the actual race info, but couldn't find much.

I found some results here (http://www.gtchampionship.com.au/circuit.php?id=22) and here (http://www.gtchampionship.com.au/results_round.php).

Essentially the Exige GT3 didn't do terrible, but not great either, 18th of 28 despite only racing in 3 of the 4 races. Might have made top 16 if it hadn't missed the first race.
On the other hand, an Elise made top 4 in one of the 4 races, and finished in the top 10 overall.

I don't know much about this championship at all, though I was hoping to hear about Lotus trouncing the competition. =) Anyone have any better details?

·
Registered
325 Posts
From the members-only section of aussieelises.com by the owner/driver of the "other" Elise:
Well Melbourne was unbelievably hot and yes, we did have some electrical and heat related issues, but all in all, it was a fantastic time. Most encouraging thing for me was some dramatic improvements in lap time as the weekend went on as a result of the data analysis that was going on after each session. We had a new guy along in the team this weekend called big Louis. Louis is a computer nerd who was fantastic at interpreting the data and boiling it down into one or two areas to focus on each time I went out. For example, after Friday's race, Louis looked at the data and said there are 6 or 7 corners where I was losing about half a second each time because I had let a bad habit creep into my braking technique. I had managed a 2:06 in that race and to have Louis saying I could get that down to 2:03 had me feeling pretty sceptical.

Anyway, the Saturday evening race had me starting in 12th and finish 4th (after the Aston got penalised for an infringement on the restart) and in the process do a 2:03.4 lap and post the 3rd fastest time, all because I listened to what Louis had said and worked on braking technique! After the great result in Saturday's race, Louis gave me another thing to work on for Sunday and figured we had a 2:02 up our sleeve so we started Sunday's 6 lap race feeling pretty confident and hopeful of improving again and getting a podium finish. Having never had a podium, the prospect of getting one in front of the Sunday GP crowd was pretty exciting...

At the first corner after the rolling start I settled into 4th spot and tried to hang onto the 430 in 3rd. The Lotus had better grip and as much car speed and as we came onto the main straight for the first time I got a great run and managed to close right up on him and get into a spot to have a dive down the inside into the braking zone. With Louis' words ringing in my ears, I was last of the late brakers and managed to get by and into 3rd, at which point anyone standing within 100 metres of turn 1 may have heard what sounded like Rick Bobby hollering at the top of his lungs! Unfortunately, half a lap later, the engine started to cut out intermittently and I gradually worked my way back through the field to finish 10th. Turns out we had an electrical problem of some sort in the wiring loom.

Notwithstanding the disappointment of that, we all had a great weekend and as you can tell, I learnt a lot about my driving and made some improvements. (The) car is still the talk of pit lane (where have you guys got the NOS bottle hidden? "I don't know if we've got one of those mate but every time I push the radio button the car seems to go a lot faster!") and a crowd favourite. Daz still entertains all those within earshot with his wit and humour, Peter Ross (and Maral) are the best at organising us all, looking after us, and putting up with our sometimes infantile antics, and big Louis I have already mentioned. A special thanks to Daz's dad Ross, who with Daz drove the truck to and from Melbourne and then helped out all weekend in any way he could.
Race results, including individual lap times, can be found here. Look at the races for Australian GT Championship.

Angelo Lazaris drives the GT3, Peter Lucas drives the faster Motorsport Elise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts