The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I searched and found no posts on the 2008 Caterham RST-V8. Let me know if there is already a thread opened on this topic that I missed in my search and I will close it.

Check It Out 2008 Caterham RST-V8

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
And it even comes shaped like a coffin so your family won't need to buy one for you :eek:

Seems ridiculous to me, that car is already more than fast enough with 200-250hp.
How do they plan to put the power down with that?
A friend of mine drove that SR-27 Se7en with a Nissan SR20DET and 350hp, he described it as practically un-drivable, he had to have them turn the boost down on it.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Double the hp/weight ratio of a Veyron with no weight on the drive wheels. Makes about as much sense as an F1 car with upside down wings! Supersized suicide pill IMO.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
And it even comes shaped like a coffin so your family won't need to buy one for you :eek:

Seems ridiculous to me, that car is already more than fast enough with 200-250hp.
How do they plan to put the power down with that?
A friend of mine drove that SR-27 Se7en with a Nissan SR20DET and 350hp, he described it as practically un-drivable, he had to have them turn the boost down on it.

Turn the boost down? Sounds like an FI car which would be making a ton more torque throughout the powerband (I'm guessing), thereby making it "un-drivable".

This is a small displacement V8. I bet it's terrifyingly fast, but not quite the same :p

Still....Caparo T1, watch out!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think it looks great and I love Caterhams, but I have to agree with Mopho, this thing is ridiculous. My seven has a zetec rated at 200hp and if the tires aren't great it will easily spin them on corner exit. Another thing is that these things make only mechanical grip (not clear how well that wing works) which means they get light at speed and don't turn or stop well. A blast up to about 100mph, then a different story. Anyone considering one of these should drive a CSR with 260 hp, then once they pull their balls out of their throat (or uterus/ovaries, not to be sexist) consider where their own fun/fear boundaries lie. I still think it looks great, and this body with the 260 hp dry sump cosworth motor from the CSR may be great, but at that point your talking close to Porsche GT3 money. Still if your sitting on a pile of google stock and really don't know what to do with your money I'd like a ride.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Is this using the Hayabusa V8? I believe on that guys website he says "crate" motor is about $30K

EDIT: Guess not, the hayabusa motor is bigger.

Q: What is the price and delivery for an engine?

A: The engine price varies depending on build details and scope of supply. The 2.8 Liter version (84mm bore vs. 81 stock) with ecu, injection system, oil pump, flywheel, starter and alternator is under $30k. Delivery is quoted at time of order.
However I would love to see a micro V8 go into production in something like the S2000.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I think it looks great and I love Caterhams, but I have to agree with Mopho, this thing is ridiculous.
+1

Where do I sign up?

Mine will be 1250 pounds and 300hp. I expect it will be "interesting". This would be nuts. :panic:

:):shift:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
you can never have too much horsepower or too little weight. this thing rocks!
Get rid of the blingy gold wheels and go all black.

It not only scares children, I bet it makes grown men poop their pants when they ride in it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts