The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola,

I have located a 2008 Club Racer with some minor issues. I was wondering what is a fair price.

Details:

12K Miles
Chipped Windshield = smaller than 1"
Radiator Leak
Chk Engine Light is On (Green)
1 small scratch on the Right Qtr panel

Thanks

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
You don't state a price, but;

1 Get an ECU dump done.

2 Windshield replacement is over $1000.

3 Radiator leaking will require removal of front clam, several hours of labor, unless you do it yourself, have wonder what made it leak in the first place though.

4 Check engine light, see #1

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't state a price, but;

1 Get an ECU dump done.

2 Windshield replacement is over $1000.

3 Radiator leaking will require removal of front clam, several hours of labor, unless you do it yourself, have wonder what made it leak in the first place though.

4 Check engine light, see #1
He is asking 44,500 -

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
so some things would be warranty repairs - like a leaking radiator, unless there was something outstanding (like improper damage "repairs") clearly, windshield is not warranty....

take it by a dealer, get the ECU dumped, and the vin run... that does sounds like a compeling price, assuming nothing bad...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just my personal opinon, as a current CR owner. - Those issues on this car indicate - to me a lack of concern/on-going prudent care & maintenance has been practiced or performed on this car. :eek:

My Club Racer has 11,500 (so it is no "garage queen" either) on it, yet I would challenge anyone to be able to point out ANY defect of any kind on "my baby", that has gone uncorrected, and personally, I would be embarrassed to offer up, especially this category of vehicle, to anyone, in such condition! :no:

Again - that is just me. Maybe I'm all wet, and the car has been otherwise cared for and maintained fully properly. :shrug: The windshield chip and small scratch I suppose could happen to anybody. But the fact that the radiator is leaking, uncorrected, and an UNEXPLAINED MIL is on, indicate again - just to me, either non-concern, or neglect.

I would proceed cautiously.

$44,500 is a lot of depreciation, in just one year! :eek:
Hope that is not typical / indicative of what I should comparatively expect!! :panic:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
How frequent are radiator leaks on the Elise/Exige? I'm not sure if that's a common problem. My wild guess is the radiator leak and chipped window happened around the same time.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
The chip in the windows looks like a pebble may have hit it
I was thinking a peddle may have did in the radiator too. Perhaps on a gravel road or road construction area?

·
Registered
773 Posts
So, is this car at a dealership or other commercial-lot car reseller? Or is this a private sale? It sounds like you are unable for some reason to "interview" the owner, and just find some of these things out for some reason, directly? What is this car's history? Single owner? I guess I just don't understand why these things are to you (or would be accepted as) otherwise, a "mystery".

How was this car used? Is it modded heavilly? Used as a track beast? Way too many unanswered questions!! ...And that we, behind our keyboards on the internet - hello - just plain can NOT (possibly) answer for you!

If you can't get FACTUAL - rather than via uninvolved, disconnected 3rd-party "blind" internet users merely GUESSES as to what might be "up" with this car... well then..... :huh:

You are a lot closer to this than us! Why can't you just find out more directly, more precisely what this car's history and maintenance records (does it have maintenace records? - What dealership did it originally sell from, do you know?) are? Something is not right / smells a little fishy here.

That price is pretty deep discounted for sure! I would presume that would also be "for a reason". You need to find out what that reason is!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Leaking radiator isnt covered under warranty? Even if there is no visable damage (ie rock)

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it's in Fla this car was offered on OVE (a manhiem online auction for dealers) a few weeks ago. I called about the car for a project for myself planing to sell my 240. On the first listing it was listed as engine inop??? I called the auction and was told that the car did run but there was a offer (if bid) on it and the rep would let me know if the sale fell through. I never did hear back so I assume you are dealing with the new buyer or the orig owner if the car didn't sell.
I still would be interested but not at those #'s

Greg

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I'd say go for it anyway.:wave: That's a pretty good price on a rare and beautiful car. Radiators are not that bad cost wise. Engine is a Toyota. Buy the car and give it the love it truly deserves and you'll be fine. :shift:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts