The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Elise R
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Lotus friends,

Every now and then, at least once per hour driving, I`ve got the following engine problem.

After some time of low end rpm cruising at constant pedal, the engine doesn`t pull anymore.
Pushing the pedal to 3/4 th: nothing happens.
Pushing to full throttle: Engine pulls up pretty normally.
When stopping and idling, engine revs up to maybe 1500 and down a few times and stalls.
If I push the pedal before it stalls it seems to stabilize for a moment before it revs up and down again.

After full ignition off, everything is fine for a while.
The longer it´s idling or at constant cruising 2000rpm, the more likely the trouble shows up.

Failure messages sometimes (!) show PO133 and PO134. Oxygen sensor 1- no activity / slow response. Messages disappear after ignition off.

Oxygen sensor 1 is stuck at 0.48Volt during the weird engine behaviour, but
it´s fine, working perfectly whenever the engine is running normally.

I replaced the oxygen sensor: Same thing.

I disconnected the oxygen sensor: Same thing (except the sensor reading of course), Failure messages: PO140, 171, 141 which go away with sensor reconnected.

At first I thought it has to do with engine compartment temperature, because the problem mainly appears with hot engine and vehicle cruising or stopping with no airflow cooling the engine compartment. Same with uphill cruising: high engine load, little airflow in engine compartment, problem appears.
But sometimes I even have it after 5min of driving with engine still warming up.

When the engine doesn`t pull it feels like the throttle doesnt move when pushing the gaspedal. But the reading shows: The more I push the pedal, the more the throttle opens and the higher the air mass flow is. Even though engine doesnt pull. At full throttle, with engine pulling normally air mass flow rises quickly though. Looks to me throttle works fine.

I`m absolutely clueless.
Anyone any idea?
Any sensor likely to fail in a 2008 Toyota engine Elise?
Any electric engine part likely to switch off/one due to dust, temperature, whatever?

By the way:
60.000km
Stage 2 exhaust
ECU modified by Bemani (Camshaft switches at 5700 instead of 6500)
ECU modification since 1 year without problem.
Problem appeared just before winter season stop.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
122 Posts
Try cleaning mass airflow sensor and
Plug and unplug a few times.Do the same
To ecu just in case it’s a dirty connection.
Then you could ductape one of those
Freezer packs to the ecu.If heat is affecting it,this will delay that.Make SURE to leave you beer in fridge so it stays cold

·
Premium Member
11,872 Posts
Use Deoxit to clean electrical connections. It cleans off the oxidation and coats the metal which prevents further oxidation. Amazon.

·
Administrator
1,802 Posts
It almost sounds like you're not getting proper valve lift. Maybe check your lift bolts and check for cam wiping while you're in there. With 60K on it your lift bolts might very well be worn.

·
Registered
542 Posts
On another car of mine, not the Elise. I had a clogged catalytic converter that caused weird throttle and rpm issues. After sorting that out car runs fine. Just sayin might be worth looking into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Had the same issue when I bought mine. Cleaned the MAF, changed spark plugs and air filter and haven’t had the stall issue since.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
259 Posts
Fuel Filter? Had this issue on one of my Rx7's and a fuel filter fixed it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts