The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a slight problem with my 2008 Elise 111R, it has stock rims, tires and suspension (without factory sport suspension) but the front tires have started rubbing in the wheelarch liner. This happens only on track and especially when turning right. The car has done about 60k km, and the problem has appeared on the last few seasons and was not there before. On inspection all the bushings etc. seem good. Is it possible that the springs are just getting "tired", because I cannot identify anything wrong with the suspension and nothing has changed in the setup, and the problem appears only on very hard corering. Because the car is mostly fun daily driver in the summertime, I would'nt like harder suspension, so would just replacing the springs with stock new ones probably take care of the problem?

Thanks for your opinions and input!

Regards,

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,405 Posts
Search the forum a bit more and you'll see this is just what happens when tracking the car. The suspension moves enough under hard braking the tires just rub, guessing it's not cornering but from the braking going into the corner.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Pretty common with our cars, nothing wrong, this is just how it is under aggressive driving conditions. eventually you will rub a hole in the liner, If it bothers you that much, the Penske and Nitron coilovers offer stiffer springs but the ride is actually less harsh than the OE suspension. you can always raise it a bit with them.

·
He's on fire!
3,290 Posts
Yep, thats what they all do!

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
Try using actual (aluminum) duct tape to slow the wearing process.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Do a visual check of your bump stops at the bottom of the dampers. This is a foam or rubber stop that prevents the damper from bottoming out. These rot over time and allow the front end to drop lower.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Is this a LHD or RHD car? Is the wear mostly behind the headlamp (I have seen it on the outer edge of the the upper/rear section too)? What is your favorite track? Have you had a ride-height check?

A couple of things:

If your shocks are Bilsteins, they may indeed be shot and may be contributing to the problem (less compression resistance). How many track days per year?

I run my track car quite high (120mm) and have no liner-wear with Penskes. I did have liner-wear with my stock Bilsteins on the same ride height (07 Exige S with sport pack).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts