1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Elise is much faster than my Exige S240. I want to get some
hard data to back up my butt dyno.
Does anyone know the 2008 Exige S240 numbers for a dynapack?
(not dynojet)

All VF horsepower figures are done with a dynapack.
My Elise made 296whp/188wtq on VF's dynapack.

The highest numbers I've seen for a 2008 Exige S240 on a dynapack
was 240whp/165wtq with a cup air box.

-Robert

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
My Elise is much faster than my Exige S240. I want to get some
hard data to back up my butt dyno.
Does anyone know the 2008 Exige S240 numbers for a dynapack?
(not dynojet)

All VF horsepower figures are done with a dynapack.
My Elise made 296whp/188wtq on VF's dynapack.

The highest numbers I've seen for a 2008 Exige S240 on a dynapack
was 240whp/165wtq with a cup air box.

-Robert
240 whp for a stock Exige S240 would be pretty amazing. The '240' designation referred to hp at the crank I believe.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
240 whp for a stock Exige S240 would be pretty amazing. The '240' designation referred to hp at the crank I believe.

Yup ...so about 15% loss through drivetrain to the wheels.

What does it matter if a modded Elise is faster than an S240? You can mod these cars to no end

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Same basic induction system. So the primary difference is the tune and smaller pulley. IC efficiency aside, a cool pull on either car should be similar with the same pulley size and comparable tune.

-Phil

edit- dynapacks, like other dynos with a retarder, are calibrated devices that can vary significantly in measurement. You should not expect two dynapacks or other dynos with retarders to be comparable. Not at all. The reason dynojets are the [gold standard] that they are, is because a 248 DJ is is just spinning mass over time- VERY simple. There's no calibration and short of a mechanical issues (such as dragging brake, worn bearings, or bad tach pickup), all dyno jet 248s will/should read the same. That doesn't mean the DJ 248output is more accurate than other brands, but they will tend to be more comparable from one 248 DJ to the other....

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I was skeptical of that number too. I could not find conclusive dyne plots for this car though.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup ...so about 15% loss through drivetrain to the wheels.

What does it matter if a modded Elise is faster than an S240? You can mod these cars to no end

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I am considering putting a vf2 kit on the Exige S240 and want an idea of power differences especially torque through the rpm range.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the 2008 Exige S240 OEM supercharger the exact same in terms of fitment with the VF2 setup? I know the castings and pulley size are different. I guess the main issue would be if the snouts are the same length.
I have both and may just swap the two instead of rebuilding the VF2 SC'er.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
I am considering putting a vf2 kit on the Exige S240 and want an idea of power differences especially torque through the rpm range.
That would be a terrific waste of money and time.

The blowers are identical short of the snout length.

Install a good a tune on the 240, a 3.0" pulley, along with some ducting to the IC and it will have the same or better output of the Vf2 kit.

The Exige is heavier as well. The weight matters too...

-Phil

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I want to remove the oem SC'er and swap in the VF2 for a few reasons:
-more power
-rear visibility with VF2 (none with OEM)
-OEM intercooler is in a stupid location, meaning it's baking like a cake; coupled with poor airflow (even using the S240 scoop)
-more compact and easier to access things inside the engine bay
-lower center of gravity: again IC in a stupid location up high...
-vf2 intercooler is always chilly
-mp62 is upgradable to TVS whereas the OEM MP62 is not
-many other smaller details

So, Phil why is this a "terrific" waste of time and money?

·
Registered
613 Posts
So, Phil why is this a "terrific" waste of time and money?
Cause at the end of the day the amount of power you are going to get doesn't translate to the amount of money you are going to spend.
If you want to spend money to gain power just go right to TVS and forget the middle ground.

But......it's your money!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Your paying a bunch for basically a more agressive tune and an intercooler relocation. Ducting in the side scoops, a smaller pulley, and the appropriate tune will get you the same performance from your 240 as the vf setup. You know all this though im sure.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe, but whose tune can give me comparable powers levels to the VF2 I have on my Elise (which I am selling).

Would it really cost that much to remove the OEM S240 supercharger and install a VF2 setup? I have the VF2 on my Elise currently so it would not be too expensive to remove right? I would also need a NA ECU tune to return the Elise back to 190hp (stock). I have all the other required parts for NA setup.

The main reason I want to do the swap is I don't have to buy anything. I have everything I need already.

I've only had the car since March 17th so maybe I should give it a couple more days to grow on me before swapping in a VF2.

Which "tune" (ECU re-flash?, what is the proper terminology?) for a 2008 Exige S240 that is stock will yield the greatest hp/tq numbers?I have the 3"steel magnusen pulley, 550cc RC injectors, and Walbro pump (255?) from the VF2 setup.

What is the oem pulley size? 3.2

Thanks for the objective advice. I really need some guidance here.
-Robert

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Robert- Seriously. A KF270, Cup260, Gotham, sector's flash, etc will all be sufficient with the addition of a 3" pulley. The ducting is important to [keep] the power as it will help to keep temps down. All VF kits suffer from high intake temps on the track just like the stock Lotus IC system does--- but I'm not sure that you track so it may not matter...

At some point, we'll have a Torque tune for the 08+ cars that will dwarf the aforementioned. In all cases, the power will be the same OR BETTER than the VF2 kit. There are intake snafus with the VF2 kit that do not exist with the 240 intake path. In addition, those RC injectors are inferior in quality compared to the stock injectors even if they are slightly bigger in size.

Stock pulley about 3.3".

-Phil

Maybe, but whose tune can give me comparable powers levels to the VF2 I have on my Elise (which I am selling).

Would it really cost that much to remove the OEM S240 supercharger and install a VF2 setup? I have the VF2 on my Elise currently so it would not be too expensive to remove right? I would also need a NA ECU tune to return the Elise back to 190hp (stock). I have all the other required parts for NA setup.

The main reason I want to do the swap is I don't have to buy anything. I have everything I need already.

I've only had the car since March 17th so maybe I should give it a couple more days to grow on me before swapping in a VF2.

Which "tune" (ECU re-flash?, what is the proper terminology?) for a 2008 Exige S240 that is stock will yield the greatest hp/tq numbers?I have the 3"steel magnusen pulley, 550cc RC injectors, and Walbro pump (255?) from the VF2 setup.

What is the oem pulley size? 3.2

Thanks for the objective advice. I really need some guidance here.
-Robert

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
240s dyno'd in the ~223whp range (dynojet)

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Phil,
Ok, you convinced me > So, what do you offer to bump an S240's power?

Side Q: Do the S240's require extra fettling for the roof scoop? I was also thinking of removing the metal mesh grill attached to the inlet to increase flow.

-Robert

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
for the 08s (black dash)? At the moment, not much... You can either wait on us or go the other routes I mentioned and upgrade to us later :D

You might want to look at the "air flow study" thread RE the roof scoop.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All that ducting and ancillary IC related gizmos get very pricey on the RLS site. WOW! iT The engine bay looks like Fring's meth lab on Breaking bad.
What a waste of money for a street car that sees a track 2-3
times a year.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Butt dynos or front dynos.... whatever man :rolleyes:

I've played with an F430, 996 TTs to name a few and have had no problems with my VF kit.

I think if Jermaine says it's a whp then it is.

My plan this yr is to head north a little bit more and call it day!

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
All that ducting and ancillary IC related gizmos get very pricey on the RLS site. WOW! iT The engine bay looks like Fring's meth lab on Breaking bad.
What a waste of money for a street car that sees a track 2-3
times a year.
The ducting just helps you keep the power... it takes a lot of air to cool the IC. Neither the Exige or VF kits really have enough of it... Further, without high pressure frontal air, there's room for improvement regardless...

If you don't see the value in getting air to the IC, fettle the inlet and call it good.

I find the irony in a guy with two lotuses that serve virtually no utility , are entirely discretionary, and are frivolous liabilities pontificating about a modification being a "waste of money" priceless!:D

....Just say'n:up:....

Phil

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I log my IAT from OBD2 port, which afaik uses the one on the right side of the intercooler(the BOSCH MAP/IAT hybrid unit).
If the data I'm getting is accurate, the stock intercooler definitely needs all the extra air flow it needs as the IAT can get alarmingly high :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts