The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in taking my family to the Grand Prix of Long Beach. This is the first time any of us have gone.

We would like to go for just one day, either Saturday or Sunday.

Anyone have any advice for which day to go, where to park, best/reasonable tickets to get, is it kid friendly, and any other useful info for first timers.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
958 Posts
Well, I live in FL and went to the St. Pete one and if the schedule is anything like it was here, the ALMS will be on Sat and the Indies on Sun. Buy a ticket for all the days. I found it more fun to walk around the track rather than sit in the stands all day.

Oh, Bring earplugs! I was hard of hearing for most of the first day when I didnt have them.

Take lots of pics!

:wave:

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
yes it is family friendly... there is a lot to see and tons of walking to do, bring comfy shoes. Ear plugs are recommended. It depends what type of race you want to watch. ALMS is on Saturday along with the Drifting. Indy is on Sunday. I've got tickets for all 3 days but will probably only make it Friday and Sunday. Hats, sunglasses, and sunscreen also highly recomended.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because of work and such we will probably only go for one day. Plus, 2 days for the kids might be much.

Earplugs....Definitely.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I prefer Saturdays because there's more going on (the celebrity race for example is on Saturday and that's kind of fun to watch --though the "celebrities" are pretty B- or C-list, I've never even heard of any of them but it's still fun to watch them tearing around in near-stock Celicas and there's usually some fender-banging going on). Also on Saturdays the crowds are thinner, though still usually there's plenty of good people-watching opportunities :D

As said above, bring earplugs esp. for the kiddies, as their ears are more sensitive.

Also, I think it's worth it to spring the extra $$ for a paddock pass as it's fun to cruise around the champ car paddock and look at all the cars and crew etc. up-close. Of course I believe access to the non-champ car paddocks is still open so you can still do some of that with the other formula cars anyway.

As far as parking, I've been able to avoid parking hassles by parking off the 405 at one of the blue line (light rail) park 'n ride lots (for free) and jumping on the blue line the rest of the way. The blue line terminates just a few short blocks from the course. It's great ! Have fun !

·
Registered
958 Posts
...Also, I think it's worth it to spring the extra $$ for a paddock pass as it's fun to cruise around the champ car paddock and look at all the cars and crew etc. up-close. Of course I believe access to the non-champ car paddocks is still open so you can still do some of that with the other formula cars anyway...
+1 I regret not getting these :(

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. Great advice. Keep it coming if you have any more good info.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Wave hi to the guys wearing the ChaseCam shirts. We will be in the paddocks.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
I am interested in taking my family to the Grand Prix of Long Beach. This is the first time any of us have gone.

We would like to go for just one day, either Saturday or Sunday.

Anyone have any advice for which day to go, where to park, best/reasonable tickets to get, is it kid friendly, and any other useful info for first timers.

Thanks,
Mark
Sit in the main bleachers. High up so you can see.

Do not sit on a short straightaway. You won't see anything. And the cars go by in 1 second.

Wander around...alot to see and do. :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dont forget to check out the Motorsports Expo.

How old are your kids? Younger than 6 can be a real challenge.

I'm looking forward to some King Taco.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
if you have seating close to the track, wear ear plugs...

·
Registered
128 Posts
yes it is family friendly... there is a lot to see and tons of walking to do, bring comfy shoes. Ear plugs are recommended. It depends what type of race you want to watch. ALMS is on Saturday along with the Drifting. Indy is on Sunday. I've got tickets for all 3 days but will probably only make it Friday and Sunday. Hats, sunglasses, and sunscreen also highly recomended.
No way ... you have to go on Saturday. It's ALMS race day.

One thing that's cool is that the ALMS cars are "second string" to the Champ Cars, so their pits are free and a lot more interesting than lots of the same car with different paint jobs. Porsche, Audi, Peugeot and Acura LMP cars plus the Ferrari, Porsche, etc. GT cars. Anybody know if the Aston Martins are coming to Long Beach this year.

Good times.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I know that Steve. I would MUCH rather see the ALMS cars than the Champ cars anyway but I'm best man in my buddies wedding so I have to be there for his engagement party on saturday.....not even his bachelor party yet.

Aston IS listed in the lineup!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wave hi to the guys wearing the ChaseCam shirts. We will be in the paddocks.
We will look for you Randy!

We are trying to go on Saturday and will get the paddock passes.

Kids are 8 and 6 and are excited to go. Lots of cool stuff to do around there with the Queen Mary and the Aquarium, etc. and fun places to eat.

·
Registered
807 Posts
call in your favors like me and get a hot pit pass and VIP parking permit and park your lotus by the service rigs and hospitality RV's :cool:

if that fails, i suggest the parking structures off of Pine Avenue and 4th, 5th and 6th by the Wal Mart. exit the 710 on 6th or PCH and go to Pine. big lot with three structures to choose from. you'll walk 5 blocks to Ocean.

easier to get in and out of, avoiding the traffic mess on Ocean. probably cheaper than the ones right by the Metro blue line on 2nd.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm just taking the Blue Line from LA, hate dealing with the LBGP parking nightmare. I'm actually looking forward to the sports car races more than Champ Car. And supposedly Hypersport's Exige will be making its debut here - anyone have an update on that? I don't know where to find the Speed WC lineup for this weekend.

EDIT: Never mind, found the lineup and no Exige :(

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If I only go one day it’s Friday. Less people and all the cars do some practice.
That said you probably can’t do Friday, so Saturday if you want to see the ALMS cars, Sunday for the main event.

I will be going Friday and maybe Sunday.

Who all is going on Friday? Maybe all meet up for a beer somewhere at a set time.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I'm going to try to go tomorrow but right now I'm getting drilled with work. I don't think I'll have time for a beer aft wards as I have a soccer game at 8:30 but they have plenty of it at the race:) I'll still go but probably not as early as I'd like.

Also bummed that Pennywise is playing Saturday and I can't make it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts