The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bet that header got your attention; you're probably thinking there's no such thing but back in 2006 there was a plan to build one. With hindsight we now know it didn't materialize and here we are four years later and it would appear that the new Esprit is more than likely dead due to financial considerations.

I cut this article and picture out of a car magazine in 2006 which shows the 2008 Esprit which obviously borrowed some design cuses from the Gallardo. Back then the plan was to use the BMW naturally aspirated V8, but later that plan was shelved for an in-house designed and built V8 engine.

Not sure how far along Esprit development got, but if it was in development for more than six years, then I would think it got pretty close to completion which makes it all the more disappointing that it seems to have been cancelled.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Too bad :(

With an all aluminum chassis, and a reliable BMW powerplant......that design is better than what Lotus finally settled on, IMHO. I even like the styling of the '08 Esprit better :)

....alas....it's all a moot point now as with hindsight, the whole "project" was apparently nothing more than smoke and mirrors after all ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts