The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased this car about a week and a half ago, and just came across an opportunity to purchase another car. If I don't sell this in a week, or get a deposit/serious commitment, I will be registering the car and keeping her.

The car is the same, with the exception of a brake fluid flush and an oil change. I've also had a 2 stage paint correction done and ceramic coating. (before and after pictures attached in second post). Seats were pulled and the interior was also cleaned and vacuumed.) I’ve also opted to have the BOE quarter stick installed instead of the st-5 muffler. It is currently at Boardwalk Lotus getting the oil line recall performed and should be completed tomorrow (6/10/2020)

I have the title and smog in hand.

See original for sale ad from previous owner here -- Phantom Black 2008 Exige S240 17k miles - SOLD
Also copied and pasted from the original thread.

List of modifications:

Rear bumper delete/naked rear with Difflow 5 element Railer Jr diffuser
BOE Quarter stick exhaust
rear tow hooks
BOE upgraded rear toe links
V2 steering arms for additional camber up front
Lotus Sport Cup wheels in near mint condition- no rash, just a couple microscopic scratches from wheel changes. Currently has R888R tires with >60% life left.
Front rotors upgraded to slotted Giro/CupDisc rotors
Braille lightweight battery with cutoff switch and connection for battery tender.
Carbon front splitter

The car has been meticulously maintained and cared for by Jon at Trackspec and myself. I had the cams inspected when I bought the car @ 8600 miles and they were fine. I have had zero engine issues. Sometimes I get a small crunch on the 3-2 downshift if revs are not matched well. Goes into gear fine without increased effort though. 1-2 shift is totally fine. Doesn't affect driveability. AC blows cold. Never in an accident. Clean title. No liens.

Cosmetically the car is in fantastic shape. The car has the starshield and it has protected the paint very well. The starshield has some wear in the rocker panel (although most of what you see is rubber marks that can be cleaned. (I will work on it and update the pics). There are light specks in the front starshield only visible from up close. There is one significant ding in the shield on the front, but I don't think it damaged the paint. I have babied the paint (you have to with black!) and it's in great shape. If you wanted it to look perfect, you can have the PPF film replaced. The splitter does not have film on it so has lots of stone chips. Interior is in near new condition, just the usual wear on the sill covers.

Asking $50k. I am in the Bay Area, California. Please let me know if you want to come see it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pictures of the paint correction. Scratches like this were around the entire car!

After

In direct sun

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great price with low miles.. I've been looking for an S240 around this price range.. Im in Los Angeles so id have to fly there and ideally drive the car back here. Anything wrong with the car that you noticed? Think it can make the drive from SF to LA? Also surprised to see it for sale so soon.. makes one think there is a problem with it? Thanks

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've driven the car from Fremont to San Francisco (40 miles), and another time from San Francisco to Redwood City (26 miles). No issues other than the common quirks of a Lotus (dash rattles, diffuser rattle which started after an oil change at Trackspec.. I presume I may need to loosen up the bolts and re-tighten it in a specific order)

Some imperfections I've found on the car was a 1/4 inch chip on the windshield (@SeniorDingDong, the previous owner mentioned it's been there for nearly 5 years and is stable)
There's a rock chip on the passenger side side mirror which took off some of the starshield.
The brakes squeal sometimes, due to the Carbotech xp10 pads and the Ultradiscs, but there is life in the pad and rotors.

More than happy to do a facetime/online call and do a walk through, start-up, drive around with you.

Also open to doing a PPI at your expense. The car was just with Jon at Trackspec about 2 weeks ago, and is currently with Boardwalk Lotus in Redwood City and I could request for a PPI while it's there.

@SeniorDingDong can probably attest to it's condition as he's owned the car for over 5 years. The largest notable issue is the 3-2 downshift which happens if you do not match the revs, which I think is fairly represented in the price. As the previous owner mentioned, this does not affect driving in the street in low speeds.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ugggghhhhh... This is TWICE I've seen this car come up for sale since I purchased the supercharger off an S240 for my 06 Exige. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I'm tempted to pick this up and sell mine. 🤔

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ugggghhhhh... This is TWICE I've seen this car come up for sale since I purchased the supercharger off an S240 for my 06 Exige. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I'm tempted to pick this up and sell mine. 🤔
This second time you get a closer pick up location, oil line recall, oil change, brake fluid change, and a full paint correction and ceramic coating, all for the same price. :LOL:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've driven the car from Fremont to San Francisco (40 miles), and another time from San Francisco to Redwood City (26 miles). No issues other than the common quirks of a Lotus (dash rattles, diffuser rattle which started after an oil change at Trackspec.. I presume I may need to loosen up the bolts and re-tighten it in a specific order)

Some imperfections I've found on the car was a 1/4 inch chip on the windshield (@SeniorDingDong, the previous owner mentioned it's been there for nearly 5 years and is stable)
There's a rock chip on the passenger side side mirror which took off some of the starshield.
The brakes squeal sometimes, due to the Carbotech xp10 pads and the Ultradiscs, but there is life in the pad and rotors.

More than happy to do a facetime/online call and do a walk through, start-up, drive around with you.

Also open to doing a PPI at your expense. The car was just with Jon at Trackspec about 2 weeks ago, and is currently with Boardwalk Lotus in Redwood City and I could request for a PPI while it's there.

@SeniorDingDong can probably attest to it's condition as he's owned the car for over 5 years. The largest notable issue is the 3-2 downshift which happens if you do not match the revs, which I think is fairly represented in the price. As the previous owner mentioned, this does not affect driving in the street in low speeds.
Interesting. Most of it is fairly minor... The thing that concerns me is the grind from the downshift. Ive never owned a lotus before but have been researching them for awhile. Might have to take you up on that facetime offer before making my way up there

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Interesting. Most of it is fairly minor... The thing that concerns me is the grind from the downshift. Ive never owned a lotus before but have been researching them for awhile. Might have to take you up on that facetime offer before making my way up there
I don't have any investment in this car, but I can say the 3-2 balkiness is very typical. Still, do your due diligence, but it doesn't immediately scream that there's an issue.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,572 Posts
Second is alway crunchy almost regardless of mods or fluids with oem transmission. I just adjust my behavior on the 3 to 2 exchange, make distinct process rather than hamfist. GLWS

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sure. Message me your number. I’ll be glad to give you a walkthrough.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to add to the 2nd gear downshift discussion. I've been able to replicate the 2nd gear crunch/grind by cruising at 25 mph, dropping it in neutral, waiting a second or two while rolling, then attempting to put into 2nd gear (no rev matching). If you do the same, but blip the throttle before moving the lever into 2nd, there will be no grind/crunch. In real world street driving, this has not affected me in the 100 or so miles I put on the car so far.

At lower speeds, like rolling into a stop down and putting it into 2nd, it does not grind.

As mentioned earlier, up shifts are completely unaffected.

I hope this brings some clarity to this issue.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I purchased my Exige from a member up in Berkeley and drove it back to LA. What better way to get acquainted with your new car than a road trip?
I drove my first 05 Elise from Washington to California. (15 hours). I ended up stopping almost every other hour because my butt was hurting. I think the probax seats in the S240 are much more comfortable and should help with the long drive.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just performed a cam inspection and all cams are in great shape.
Cylinder 4 on the small lobe intake side has two vertical lines visible, however, i cannot feel anything with my finger nail.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts