The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching around and could not find an exact comparison of torque delivery between the 2008 Lotus SC and the 2007 Lotus Exige S.. I know that the Lotus Exige S makes 80% at 2k rpm, what about the 2008 Lotus SC? Are they basically the same in this regard or does one feel faster than the other? I'm leaning more towards the Exige at the moment because of the 0-60 time, but I actually prefer the look of the Elise.

Also from what I understand, people who own Exiges get asked A LOT if it's a "Kit Car", more often than the Elise owners are asked because of it's look.. I'm a young guy, 21, and although I don't care too much what people think of me, I think I would get annoyed and pissed off over time if people kept asking me if it's a kit car and then walking away laughing because they think I couldn't possibly own (Being so young) what they mistakenly and foolishly think is a "200k car" so they automatically assume it's a kit car..

I'm already convinced more then 90% of the population think Lotus's are 6-figure cars, and I realize that being so young people will jump the gun into thinking either I'm a "poser" driving a kit car, or that rich parents must have spoiled me because they don't think there's any way I could afford what they think is, an extremely expensive car.. When I first told a few of my co-workers that I was saving for a Lotus Elise, they started laughing at me and said, "haha that's gonna take you like 20 years to save up for man, you might as well get a Ferrari while you're at it..." Idiots.

Also makes me worried about people keying/damaging my car when it's left unattended because they think I'm a snobby rich kid..

I really hope being harassed on occasion, and constantly worrying about my car when left unattended in public places, won't somewhat ruin the experience and joy of owning something I've been saving up for for over a year..

But oh well, screw the haters. I'm not buying the car for them, I'm buying it for me. I won't have enough saved up for another year anyways, so I guess I'll just keep lingering and dreaming.. sorry to ramble on.

Also on a side note, I saw a red Toyota Supra today with a Ferrari badge on the front.. I nearly fell to the ground in laughter. LOL. I wanted to take a picture so badly but my phone was dead..

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The Exige has a larger supercharger and also has an intercooler. The Elise has smaller supercharger which is not intercooled so its working harder and being cooled even less. With very basic mods you can add a good 20-30HP to an Exige S (not even touch engine stuff), where as the Elise SC is pretty much tapped out as it is.

People will *always* comment on the car, its just something you get used to by about day 3 of owning one.....

Been driving mine 5 years now and I still get asked questions or comments daily. Of course looks a little more wild then normal I guess, but still people are mostly dumb founded by it regardless.

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
If you're going to get visibly annoyed by people asking the same question over and over again, people ARE going to assume you're a snobby rich kid. Part of owning one of these is getting asked a lot of the same question over and over again... my advise is to be gracious about it.

As far as the car goes, pick whichever suits your fancy and enjoy! If you're going to mod the heck out of it though, I'd probably start with an N/A elise.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Westrock is on the mark about his comments. You can squeeze more HP out of an Exige with just a retune; I think one kit is supposed to take you close to 300 crank HP on the Exige. That kit contains:
◦RLS Intercooler
◦RLS 2.9" Pulley
◦Drive belt
◦550cc Injectors
◦Cup Air Box
◦BLADE300tune
The kit is 3250 bucks.
You have to spend more money to get an Elise in that power range. Some figure around 7-9k bucks in parts. If more HP is not in your road map; you have no intention to track/scca the car, then this will not be a consideration.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
In my opinion the Elise has better outward visibility for driving on the Streets, while as pointed out above, the Exige has more potential for increased horsepower for track use. I don't track my car so I chose the Elise for better rear visibility, albeit a bit limited on an SC, but still better than an Exige. Another factor for me in choosing an Elise over and Exige is that I drive top off 90% of the time. I really enjoy open air motoring.

So, we all own the cars we own for a reason and you will find Exige, Elise SC,and Elise NA owners lining up to tell you why their car is best FOR THEM, but what about YOU? YOU need to make up a checklist of what is important to you and weigh your options.

As for the looks of an Exige versus an Elise, I actually like the looks of an Exige more, as it looks more purposeful. Some think that it looks "over the top", but I don't mind "over the top", if scoops, etc serve a purpose, and in the case of the Exige, they do. But again whether you like the looks of an Exige over an Elise, or visa versa, is a matter of personal preference.

Lastly, I would be less concerned about what the public thinks in making your decision. When I was 18 years old my daily driver was a Porsche Turbo Carrera, and while noone accused it of being a kit car, some resented me driving it, coming in the forms of "Mommy and daddy must have bought that for you" or "nice flared out 911, speed racer". Today, I am 53 years old and drive a Lotus Elise, as my 2nd...okay 4th car, and in the words of my UPS driver who saw me in it the other day: "Man, I bet you wish you had that Lotus when you were YOUNG!" Still the resentment, now akin to "What are you doing with your grandson's car?" Who cares, just enjoy and drive (and in your case while you are YOUNG), and pick the car that is right for you, and not the public.

vincesf

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
You need to test drive them to see which feels better. I had an Elise SC before and now I have an Exige. The rear visibility on Elise is great and the car rides a bit softer that Exige. I like my Exige better. I can feel that few extra HP when I need it.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
The practical 'pluses' generally cited for an Elise over an Exige: top off motoring and rear visibility, is easily overcome with a soft top conversion (easy and not too expensive) and a rear view camera.

The top off on the Exige makes little to no difference as far as supercharger/intercooler goes when driving on the street. You'd want the top on for full air flow if you were tracking, but frankly many tracks would require you to put your hard top on your Elise.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Lotusforsale, thanks for clarifying. I am curious, as I do some spirited "street" - backroad, highway, etc. driving, are there limitations on rev ranges that you should adhere to or are you good to go at most any engine or road speed?

Thanks,
vincesf

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Some people have stuffed a valve from running a lot of high revs, other people track all the time at high revs and have no problems. There are spring and valve upgrades for the engine which resolve the risk. It has been proposed some of the high rpm valve train problems are due to oil starve issues. I am still running stock valves and springs (but would like to upgrade); oil starve has been solved on my car (Gpan2).

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Addertooth, my question was are their limitations with running the top off of a supercharged Exige?

Thanks,
vincesf

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
For city driving, or pleasant little runs down twisty roads, probably not a problem at all. Sorry for mis-understanding your question.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I'd opt for a standard Elise with an aftermarket supercharger. That gives you the look you prefer, with a bit more power and a little less weight than an Exige S.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Westrock is on the mark about his comments. You can squeeze more HP out of an Exige with just a retune; I think one kit is supposed to take you close to 300 crank HP on the Exige. That kit contains:
◦RLS Intercooler
◦RLS 2.9" Pulley
◦Drive belt
◦550cc Injectors
◦Cup Air Box
◦BLADE300tune
The kit is 3250 bucks.
You have to spend more money to get an Elise in that power range. Some figure around 7-9k bucks in parts. If more HP is not in your road map; you have no intention to track/scca the car, then this will not be a consideration.
My Blade 300 makes 281 to the wheels, which is easily more than 300 crank. The tune is so much better than stock it's not funny. Just pulling away normally I could feel the difference in throttle response. The stock tune was crap.

San

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
My Blade 300 makes 281 to the wheels, which is easily more than 300 crank. The tune is so much better than stock it's not funny. Just pulling away normally I could feel the difference in throttle response. The stock tune was crap.

San
oldmansan, after my warranty is over, I shall weigh my options.... from the sound of it, it should be fun. My major hurdle is CARB (California Air Resources Board), but it does not seem to pose a problem in the vast majority of other States.

vincesf

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
oldmansan, after my warranty is over, I shall weigh my options.... from the sound of it, it should be fun. My major hurdle is CARB (California Air Resources Board), but it does not seem to pose a problem in the vast majority of other States.

vincesf
Stock exhaust manifold and cat (for now). I don't think there will be any problem with emissions.

San

·
Registered
169 Posts
Also from what I understand, people who own Exiges get asked A LOT if it's a "Kit Car", more often than the Elise owners are asked because of it's look.. I'm a young guy, 21, and although I don't care too much what people think of me, I think I would get annoyed and pissed off over time if people kept asking me if it's a kit car and then walking away laughing because they think I couldn't possibly own (Being so young) what they mistakenly and foolishly think is a "200k car" so they automatically assume it's a kit car..

I'm already convinced more then 90% of the population think Lotus's are 6-figure cars, and I realize that being so young people will jump the gun into thinking either I'm a "poser" driving a kit car, or that rich parents must have spoiled me because they don't think there's any way I could afford what they think is, an extremely expensive car.. When I first told a few of my co-workers that I was saving for a Lotus Elise, they started laughing at me and said, "haha that's gonna take you like 20 years to save up for man, you might as well get a Ferrari while you're at it..." Idiots.

Also makes me worried about people keying/damaging my car when it's left unattended because they think I'm a snobby rich kid..

I really hope being harassed on occasion, and constantly worrying about my car when left unattended in public places, won't somewhat ruin the experience and joy of owning something I've been saving up for for over a year..
Both cars are nice and my advise is to stop "over" imagining things like your under drugs. Put all your energy on how you can purchase the car.. Meaning WORK!

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Another thread posted the BOE Koldfire tune resulted in 270 rwhp

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Coming from a Newbie......Elise compared to Exige, im glad I got an 07 Exige S with a Koldfire tune.

Don't quote me on this but from what I have read, The Kold Fire tune is a better calibration than the factory Lotus tune and adds much-needed fuel in the higher RPMs (the factory tune is way too lean for maximum). Its overall smoother to drive, and adds 50hp by simply opening the throttle plate up all the way (Lotus de-tuned the S220 so that it only opened the throttle plate 70% in order to sell the more expensive S260 for a lot more)

Love the power and acceleration and already feeling that urge for more, also I like the road feel. Little bumpy at times but compared to my 72 Baja Bug, its still better.

In a nutshell, I think I would have grown bored with an Elise......

As far as all the attention the car will attract, have owned my Exige for just over a week now. Every time you stop you will get asked questions and people that don't know anything about the car will think you won the Lotto. As long as you take it all in stride and represent the rest of us Lotus owners you will be fine. People are just naturally curious. You will also find, the more Rural of a place you are at the more the curiosity is. I'm having fun with that one here in Lower Alabama.

·
Registered
502 Posts
As an NA Elise owner go with the Exige. If I were to o it again I would save up a bit loner and get an Exige S. but my main goal for the car was track days and the Elise still blows away my old STi but the Exige S blows away my Elise on the track. If its your daily driver certainly consider the Elise as the Exige may be a bit much for just street and no track driving.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts