The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone come up with the TRUE reason Lotus went to a 1/2 inch narrower front wheel? I cannot imagine they would do anything which would have a negative effect on performance especially when they are putting these wheels on a car with more hp and braking power.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
...............which would have a negative effect on performance............
I personally don't agree with this hypothosis, for a car that is designed to drive very quickly around a track.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Along the lines of the understeer argument, I remember Clarkson complaining he couldn't powerslide as well as he would like, and then he talked to a Lotus engineer about it. I found this write up elsewhere:

"Jeremy Clarkson bemoaned extreme and terminal understeer on this car. By way of response, Lotus sent him round the Hethel test track with Gavin Kershaw, then one of their Principal Chassis Engineers.

Kershaw was able to provoke powerslides at will (bearing in mind that he spent all day, every day practicing!), but when asked why the car had been made to understeer so severely he said, quote:

'because we're selling 3000 cars [per year], we have to cater for all drivers'

Translation...'Because the Elise is now being bought by numpty fashion victims as well as genuine enthusiasts, we have to make it idiot proof'.

He went on to say that Lotus can supply optional bigger front tyres to prevent the understeer."

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I do remember reading a very old post of someone asking of you can mount stock tires (AD07) on the older LSS sized rims. A member, said yes you can for both front and rear. I think he mentioned that he had done this himself.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The AD07's do mount on the 6.5" rim, but it is out of spec for correct sizing by Yokohama. They are sized for wheel 5-6". In the UK, the AD07 comes with the sport pack on the forged wheels for the Elise.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Can someone (A dealer or other '08 S owner) confirm that the wheel sizes are different? I've heard reports from a US '08 S240 owner who measured his wheels and they are still 16x6.5 and 17x7.5. Apparently his owners manual states this as well. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
It might be a different set of forged wheels are made for here and the UK. 6" forged wheels have always been available for the US in the forged pack as an option.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I personally don't agree with this hypothosis, for a car that is designed to drive very quickly around a track.
Actually, it was a question. Not a hypothesis. You partially cut off the sentence.

It would be great for some actual owners of the 240 or a dealer to give us the true facts. Are the wheels different and, if so, why?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The companys legal council probably suggested it would be prudent for liability. It costs less and is easier to use one wheel for more applications. Would the 6 inch wheel provide more clearance for the big front brakes on the Exige S 240?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts