The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TICKETS NOW ON SALE FOR THE 2008 MONTEREY HISTORICS & GGLC LOTUS CORRAL

The GGLC has again arranged for a Lotus Corral at the 2008 Monterey Historic Races at Laguna Seca Raceway on August 15-17, 2008. Purchase your Monterey Historic ticket from the GGLC and get a free corral pass to the GGLC Lotus corral.

To reserve the Lotus Corral parking the GGLC must sell at least 35 tickets.

Please order early and reserve your spot in the corral. GGLC membership is NOT required, but you must drive your Lotus to the event to park in the GGLC Lotus Corral.

Ticket costs are discounted from the gate price and include the Lotus Corral pass.

Saturday Aug 16 ONLY $66 ($85 gate)
Sunday Aug 17 ONLY $46 ($55 gate)
2 Day (Sat & Sun) Aug 16+17 $96 ($115 gate)
3 Day (Fri-Sun) Aug 15-17 $126 ($145 gate)

Deadline for ordering is June 15, 2008

http://www.gglotus.org

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
GGLC Webguy

·
Registered
974 Posts
So many events at once I thought I would try out the track on Friday this year. It doesn't look like there will be a corral on Friday. I am assuming it's dirt parking as there is only one patch of pavement usually reserved for the featured marque. Any idea what it is this year? The event website just shows 35th anniversary.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So many events at once I thought I would try out the track on Friday this year. It doesn't look like there will be a corral on Friday. I am assuming it's dirt parking as there is only one patch of pavement usually reserved for the featured marque. Any idea what it is this year?
Usually parking is not an issue on Friday. Marque corrals are only on Saturday (we usually are in the area near the lawn between T2 and T5) and the Sunday corral is a general marque corral.

There is no designated marque this year, but rather a "celebration of all of the marques/cars of past Historics". I'm not sure if that includes Lotus (1995), but certainly Ferrari (30 out of the 35 years!) :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Strange that there's no designated marque this year... I wonder if some plans fell through?

I hope to make it again this year, but won't know for awhile. Depends on my work schedule.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strange that there's no designated marque this year... I wonder if some plans fell through?
Hi Joe,

It was probably time to do Lotus again... but then Steve Earle remembered what he said after the '95 Historics (Lotus). He was asked if when he'd do Lotus again as the designated marque and his response was "over my dead body!"

So, better "no" marque than Lotus!!!! :rolleyes:

BTW, I know most the members on LTalk weren't around for the '95 event, but there were over 500 Lotus (street & race) cars at Laguna. The Parade lap was led by Hazel and Clive Chapman. Hazel was riding in a Mark 6 and for his first ever time to drive an Elan was Clive. Imagine a double row of Lotus cars bumper to bumper around Laguna. It was a sight!!!! :clap:

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
974 Posts
Chococar, Being you are located in Santa Barbara, are you familiar with Hwy's 33 and 58? Thinking of making a little detour to the usual route on the way to the Monterey weekend. They look amazing on the map however, I believe the weather will be hot in that area. Perhaps an early start from Ventura or Ojai. It's been two years since I made this trip so I am very excited to drive my Lotus up the coast and be a part of the Monterey weekend.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Larry, that is a nice video. Great quality! The car sounds great! Is there a lot of really long straights on 58 between the twisty sections? Some of the footage showed some serious cliff drops without guardrails:crazyeyes. Looks really fun. Summer time must be really hot out there.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Paul- Quick run down on 58, going east to west. The video was shot in that direction. You start out with some decent elevation gains then drop down a bit. The segment were I am starting the roller coaster section is at a junction with another road and the "mountain section" ends. More so on the eastern end there are a few you can catch some air (not something you should try- driving it for the first time). After that there are several nice looong straight- a -ways. However again you have to be careful, because they end in very tight slow speed 90 degree turns. Then it's mostly mid speed turns with some elevation gains and drops thrown in.

Have driven it in August, mid to low 90's as dry as it was, not too bad.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Anyone know of a place to stay that's not too expensive, but nice with good parking?
It depends on how close you want to be to all the weekend "action".
Try Salinas if you're looking for reasonable prices but are OK with being 20-30 minutes from the track and maybe 45 minutes from Monterey.
The N. end of Salinas is pretty nice, and the Laurel Inn there is a local favorite. There are also several brand new chain places in the same area. That area also is ideal for using the "back door" entrance to the track via Fort Ord.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Joel- been using the "back door" the last several years. Notice last year, they directed me towards the west exit and onto highway 1. Were others able to head out the back way- think it's Reservation road

·
Registered
424 Posts
We always try to hook up with Highway 1 at least before Cambria, coming from SC. Can't beat the ocean drive up the #1. We stay with relatives in Carmel, and they say most places within 20-30minutes of the track are booked by now...figure $200-300+ a night within that window. Better hustle...good luck.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I don't think I want to catch air on the 58. Probably will not be a good result for the front spoiler. We usually do the drive up the coast in two day's from San Diego but, I may add an extra day to drive hwy 33 and 58 before the classic hwy 1 up the coast. What is the approximate time and mileage from Ojai 33 - 58 back to the coast? By the way, hwy 299 looks more like a two way, one way road.

If you are trying to reserve a room anywhere on the Peninsula during the Historics weekend then you better get after it. You would be quite lucky to find anything within 30 mins. at this point but, you never know. Good luck! The good thing about the parking is the peninsula is crawling with exotics so every hotel and motel lot is quite impressive and most there are looking after their cars.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Joel- been using the "back door" the last several years. Notice last year, they directed me towards the west exit and onto highway 1. Were others able to head out the back way- think it's Reservation road
Yes, it is Reservation Rd., Larry. And AFAIK the route between Reservation Rd. and the track via Ft. Ord is only open for in-bound traffic (to the track) in the AM. It's basically a single lane road on the base, and I don't think they have enough personnel to "man" it and control out-bound traffic at the end of the day. Getting back to Hwy 68 from the track is probably your best bet for returning to Salinas PM.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Hi Joe,

It was probably time to do Lotus again... but then Steve Earle remembered what he said after the '95 Historics (Lotus). He was asked if when he'd do Lotus again as the designated marque and his response was "over my dead body!"

So, better "no" marque than Lotus!!!! :rolleyes:

BTW, I know most the members on LTalk weren't around for the '95 event, but there were over 500 Lotus (street & race) cars at Laguna. The Parade lap was led by Hazel and Clive Chapman. Hazel was riding in a Mark 6 and for his first ever time to drive an Elan was Clive. Imagine a double row of Lotus cars bumper to bumper around Laguna. It was a sight!!!! :clap:

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
Hi Kiyoshi,

What a shame not to have Lotus as the marque this year! With so many more Lotus fans now, it would have been great! I didn't make it in '95, but have been going on and off since one of the early years. I bought my first Lotus in the mid-70's (a very fun 1962 Super Seven).

Hope to see you at a Lotus event in the Bay Area again one of these days ...

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
974 Posts
It's up on the Monterey website. This year is the 35 year celebration of the event including a special tribute to Mario Andretti. In celebration of his 1978 F1 World Championship he will be doing some demonstration laps in the championship winning Lotus 79.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
So I checked out Salinas, but they are charging $250+ per night in dumpy hotels. I've made reservations at the Comfort Inn in Watsonville which is 45 min away. I hope that's not a mistake.

So far LA drivers going are:
1. Maarjr and Jexsy
2. Myself
3. IBCJ
4. Patricko
5. MDWeaver
6. Blondie

We're leaving Friday morning if anyone wants to join us. Joe we can pick you up on the way if you'd like.

cheers,
Jacob

·
Registered
974 Posts
We will have a few leaving San Diego a couple day's ahead of the LA group. Leaving Wednesday for a two day drive up the coast. Thursday in Carmel is awesome. Tour d'elegance.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts