The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 SC. My driver's seat is loose - it rocks back and forth. I checked the bolts from bracket to floor and bracket to seat - they are attached solidly. It seems the slider is loose. Has anyone seen this and/or have a fix? I fear extracting the seat to look closer because so many people seem to strip the seat bolts. I'd like to have a plan before dismantling.

Thanks.
--Ray

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Have you guys double check your seat rails for possible debris, coins, etc? My (05 Elise) driver's side seat did not "click" in place, loose, and I found a small nut and a dime inside the rail preventing the seat from locking in place.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mines rocked too. I believe the issue is the seat rail material is 'soft', so there is a slight play after a while. I temporarily stop the seat play for a bit, but it came back after the rails 'opened' again. I've seen another thread on here about it and a possible replacement of the rails will resolve the issue.

·
Registered
297 Posts
They all do this to some degree. You can run longer front bolts and make the driver seat fixed in a few positions. It will lock down against the lower mounting blocks.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Mines rocked too. I believe the issue is the seat rail material is 'soft', so there is a slight play after a while. I temporarily stop the seat play for a bit, but it came back after the rails 'opened' again. I've seen another thread on here about it and a possible replacement of the rails will resolve the issue.
I have heard of this also. I think replacing the rails was the final answer. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Mine did this as well. It was fine until a quarter got stuck in the rail & prevented the sliding mechanism from locking (so the seat would slide forward under braking). I removed the coin, but the seat was never the same, despite my attempts to better secure the seat rails.

I took the car to VSA motorsports (in Los Angeles) to have a bunch of little things done & they addressed the rocking seat. I'm fairly certain they replaced the seat rail. It's solid now.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Mine is rock solid, but the slider is totally frozen.
Which situation is better depends on who needs to drive it.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
On my Exige one of the bolts for the slider to seat backed out and it caused my seat to not slide properly. I have removed my seats about a dozen times. I did eventually move to just use a long bolt all the way through the chassis (had to drill out the hole to the underside of the car).

But if you have never removed them, then the threads are fine. Just be very slow and careful on the rear ones. In fact the only one that is really a problem is the ones in the back next to center console, at least on mine because there was a metal bracket that sandwhiches in between.

The fronts you will not mess up, they are super easy to get in/out.

You'll probably be surprised how much stuff has fallen out of your pockets :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not to bring a thread back from the dead, 7 years dead, lol. I have fixed this!

I just got a 2006 Elise with 60k miles. I noticed slight movement in the seat, but nothing to worry me. After I put about 3,000 miles on the car the rock / wobble got worse to the point that it was distracting and I was worried the seat might unlock and slide all the way back or forward when driving hard (as I do 80% of the time in my car). Anyway on to the "official" fix from Lotus.

It is called a seat runner tensioner. Basically a little piece of spring steel that slides between the seat slider, one on each side. I installed this and my seat is rock solid. I will also try to not move seat position as much now in the hopes that this thing lasts. Expensive for what it is, but worth it! Easy install, once roof and seat was out, it took me about 10-15 minutes following the directions.

I got the part from Elise-Shop.com. Search their site for "seat tensioner runner". I can't post the link for some reason.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Not to bring a thread back from the dead, 7 years dead, lol. I have fixed this!

I just got a 2006 Elise with 60k miles. I noticed slight movement in the seat, but nothing to worry me. After I put about 3,000 miles on the car the rock / wobble got worse to the point that it was distracting and I was worried the seat might unlock and slide all the way back or forward when driving hard (as I do 80% of the time in my car). Anyway on to the "official" fix from Lotus.

It is called a seat runner tensioner. Basically a little piece of spring steel that slides between the seat slider, one on each side. I installed this and my seat is rock solid. I will also try to not move seat position as much now in the hopes that this thing lasts. Expensive for what it is, but worth it! Easy install, once roof and seat was out, it took me about 10-15 minutes following the directions.

I got the part from Elise-Shop.com. Search their site for "seat tensioner runner". I can't post the link for some reason.

View attachment 1258921
Great find.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts