The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a bit of a fan of the STIs. Last weekend we had a great Club DE at HPT. 120 cars, very fast field, perfect weather, etc...

One of the veteran drivers who has 4-5 Subi's brought out his new WRX STI hatch-back thing... It looked real cool and he was laying down some decent lap times........ until....... he spun a rod bearing. Not positive that's what let loose, but it clearly blew one of the primary bearings. Thing was knocking real loud and crazy by mid day. Had to flat bed it straight to Subi dealer.

I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come for other 2008 owners. I think this is the best looking Subi made so far. Hope the rest of them hold together...

For those wondering, the car was broke in correctly, and oil was at the full line, no over heating, no mis shift, very experienced driver, etc... The engine just decided to let go...

Thought it was worth sharing...

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've always been a bit of a fan of the STIs. Last weekend we had a great Club DE at HPT. 120 cars, very fast field, perfect weather, etc...

One of the veteran drivers who has 4-5 Subi's brought out his new WRX STI hatch-back thing... It looked real cool and he was laying down some decent lap times........ until....... he spun a rod bearing. Not positive that's what let loose, but it clearly blew one of the primary bearings. Thing was knocking real loud and crazy by mid day. Had to flat bed it straight to Subi dealer.

I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come for other 2008 owners. I think this is the best looking Subi made so far. Hope the rest of them hold together...

For those wondering, the car was broke in correctly, and oil was at the full line, no over heating, no mis shift, very experienced driver, etc... The engine just decided to let go...

Thought it was worth sharing...

Best,

Phil
Subaru's have had some problems with that, even more so in the 2.0L. The new STI motors (ej257) have been better, but there are still some horror stories out there. I read up on it awhile ago, and I believe it has to do with oil supply. When entering turns, the stock pump can't supply sufficient oil due to the g's. I'm guessing this was what happend to your friend:sad:

Hopefully the dealer will cover it, but I dont know if they will because he was on a track.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I've been following this on the STI board. Apparently he was over 2 quarts low and hadn't checked his oil level since new. He blames the low oil on other engine issues, but not checking the level when running track days is not smart and probably only indicates that people need to keep an eye on their oil, not that there's a problem with the bearings. Also, the engine is the same as the '07, so it is a pretty well-known animal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts