The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Is anyone planning on going to this?

The routes look pretty uninteresting - all are on major highways that are likely part of people's regular commutes :shrug:

Something about lots of random people driving fast cars on 6 lane highways on a Saturday night just sounds like ingredients for a tasty disaster pie. Call me crazy, but for me, 'Elise' and 'party' don't really go together.

Has anyone been to a previous Dallas Cannonball event? How was it? I'm trying to keep an open mind.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hmmm... I think I'd rather make the trip up to Dallas to go on a Lotus specific drive. If the Dallas Lotus group put something like that together I'd probably go for it. Their darn middle of the week meetings mean I can never go.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i read up what i could from a link on ferrarichat, and it doesn't look particularly engaging other than the potential of drawing together a diverse array of performance cars...

...of course, you have to bear in mind that the preponderance of those high-line six-figure performance cars are garage queens, with owners reticent to spool on too many miles' wear-and-tear from demanding routes...

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Is anyone planning on going to this?

The routes look pretty uninteresting - all are on major highways that are likely part of people's regular commutes :shrug:

Something about lots of random people driving fast cars on 6 lane highways on a Saturday night just sounds like ingredients for a tasty disaster pie. Call me crazy, but for me, 'Elise' and 'party' don't really go together.

Has anyone been to a previous Dallas Cannonball event? How was it? I'm trying to keep an open mind.
I thought the same thing. Then again, I am also trying to keep an open mind.
I will keep an eye on this post for input.

We have considered going over to the starting point to have some good pizza and see what its about. I doubt we will make the " drive " portion, seeing how any and all LEO can easily see the route and as stated above, too many risks with no reward.

S

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have sponsored this event in the past, and its a fun event, but its not a sunday drive. unlike any other car related event, this is open to everyone and everyone has fun, even people that dont regularly attend car meets. the cruise it self is actually a lot of fun, all sorts of cars do it, even a bus and a limo last time, its the most fun you will have cruising with 100+ cars. the finish line party should be really good to. it worth it just for the pizza.

the canonball group puts together smaller runs on back roads and stuff too, as well as track days and F1 watching parties.

·
Registered
357 Posts
given the Dallas population that is likely to attend this event, I predict it will be best for observing some serious posing and general douchbaggery; I'm planning to rent a lambo, put on some big shades and see if I can pick up some strange - Ghost bar anyone?

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
given the Dallas population that is likely to attend this event, I predict it will be best for observing some serious posing and general douchbaggery; I'm planning to rent a lambo, put on some big shades and see if I can pick up some strange - Ghost bar anyone?
BWAH!
rotfl

Only if we wear hats like this too!

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looks familiar ;)

My only observation is that it is open to all makes and models and driver age groups AND it has a route that has been publicized. IF i lived locally i would probably hit up the meeting spot and check it out...might be worth while.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I have sponsored this event in the past, and its a fun event, but its not a sunday drive. unlike any other car related event, this is open to everyone and everyone has fun, even people that dont regularly attend car meets. the cruise it self is actually a lot of fun, all sorts of cars do it, even a bus and a limo last time, its the most fun you will have cruising with 100+ cars. the finish line party should be really good to. it worth it just for the pizza.

the canonball group puts together smaller runs on back roads and stuff too, as well as track days and F1 watching parties.
So, give us an idea of what the drive is really like? :shrug: I picture a hundred+ various cars and drivers all trying to get to the end point as fast as possible, all while driving through what I would consider the highest LEO infested areas in the DFW metromess. :thwack:

Or is it really a cruise? :shift:

S

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the cruise? well its a big group, at least 100 cars, although this one may be closer to 200. with in the big group there are several smaller groups, there will be one group of front runners, while some of the older cars hang back, then there are people who go out and try to find the strangest possible car there is, then you might see people in a limo. the group as a whole will spread it self out fairly quickly.
one thing you dont see is a lot of kids, maybe they dont like to travel so far from home, or gas money is a factor, or that the finish line is 21 and up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
stereotyping a bit are we? Im going to the meet and the drive, but Im not going to be doing 120. I'll be going the speed limit and just checking out all the nice cars. If some of the owners are douches, then fine... I'm going for the cars, not the people.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...looks obnoxious - even if the folks in the videos are statistical outliers, i wouldn't want them swooping around me in heavy city traffic...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.