The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're about less than 3 months away from the British auto show where the Eagle is suppose to make it's début as a 2009 model. So, it's possible the 2009 Elise and Exige may be introduced at that time - especially considering the 2008s are supposedly produced in less quantity than previous years and there are not as many 2008 sitting on lots as the 2007s.

Given past history with the Exige, they could bump horse power up to 250 or 255hp. Do you think there will be any changes to the Elise or Exige S line up or will 2009 be all eyes on the Eagle? Maybe another special edition?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I predict that the 09 Elise will source Chrysler's 425 hp Hemi that they have in the Dodge SRT8 Charger.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2008 - Eagle for 2009
2009 - Esprit for 2010
2010 - new Elise for 2011

My own opinion.

·
Registered
584 Posts
In my newbie opinion, FWIW (not much), I will go with Allan's implication and say that they will offer an Exige S 255 as a natural progression in 2009. :shrug:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not implying anything because I really don't know. I think it's just a possibility considering the 2006 Exige was 190hp, 2007 was 220hp, 2008 is either 220 or 240. It doesn't make sense to make a change every year but that's what Lotus has done with the Exige line.

I hadn't thought that far ahead that a new Exige/Elise could be out as a 2011 model (just two years from now). -eek-

·
Registered
21 Posts
It makes sense to put the money into a new model rather than throw it away redesigning the old one (which though still a great car is getting old in Automotive terms).

Personally I can't wait to see what comes out over the next 3 years!

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I will go a different route here... I think the Elise and Exige will remain more or less the same. I think Lotus will remove the standard Exige S and only leave the 240 model.

Lotus will come out with another form of a special edition Sport Elise or Exige. I'm not sure what it will be like...but something that's a little more track oriented. (Maybe track pack, limited-slip, some stripes, slightly different rear spoiler, suede interior trim, some kind of lap-time recorder, and if we're lucky, CF hard tops will be an option!)

I also think Lotus will have some sort of televised commercial for the Eagle, in which Lotus will also display the Elise and Exige. If not TV commercial, then some form of promotion...and the gas mileage will be one of the selling points just as it is now.

If we're very lucky, Lotus will start trying to remove a little weight from the Exige and Elise. How? I don't know exactly...maybe replacing bolts with lighter materials. Maybe some weight-saving options like lighter seats, lighter wheels, etc. But I highly doubt that would happen, just wishful thinking :D

That's enough wild speculation for now.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree about the Exige 220. I don't see it really fitting in with the 240 and the Elise SC on the market.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm not implying anything because I really don't know. I think it's just a possibility considering the 2006 Exige was 190hp, 2007 was 220hp, 2008 is either 220 or 240. It doesn't make sense to make a change every year but that's what Lotus has done with the Exige line.

I hadn't thought that far ahead that a new Exige/Elise could be out as a 2011 model (just two years from now). -eek-
Sorry - I didn't mean anything other than since you mentioned an hp increase to 250-255 as a possibility, I didn't want to claim it as original.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I'm thinking Lotus will give the special edition Elise/Exige models a rest for a year since they'll have publicity from the Eagle/Ethos to drive interest.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
As an aside - there certainly are less 08s on the dealer lots - but I wonder just how many have been sold (anyone have any estimates? - I havent seen many posts by elise SC owners)....cant imagine the numbers are very promising...

the price on used 05s seems to have stabilized, and there seems to be enough turnover of used cars to satisfy a good part of the elise niche market - the 30k pricepoint appeals to a lot more potential owners than the 46-60k price range of the base 08 elise and optioned elise SC....

As I see it, Lotus can drudge along with similar sales figures in 09 by slightly increasing power again (waiting for the eagle to arrive), or they could go the other way and offer an elise 111R equivalent, with a lower base price (?40k) and appeal to some of those picking up used 05s at 30k or so.....This would not be popular amongst many of us, but could be a good thing for Lotus in the long run....

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If Lotus would only come out with a factory-sponsored low financing special or lease program, that would help make the Elise/Exige more affordable without requiring lowering their prices or giving deep discounts (preserve the brand image) or still offer discounts, financing/leasing and sell more units.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
On the heels of the California Elise, Lotus will introduce the Texas Elise.

Standard features are shotgun rack, refrigerated cooler in the back for a 12 pack of Lone Star beer (or Shiner Bock if you prefer), a special grill in the engine compartment that roasts road kill while you drive, whitewall tires on wagon wheel styled rims, a preloaded Ipod full of George Strait and ZZ Top, air horn that plays Dixie, denim seat covers, body panels in random colors (including Bondo), and a rag instead of gas cap.

·
Registered
807 Posts
If Lotus would only come out with a factory-sponsored low financing special or lease program, that would help make the Elise/Exige more affordable without requiring lowering their prices or giving deep discounts (preserve the brand image) or still offer discounts, financing/leasing and sell more units.
exactly! because of my damn accountant who insists i lease cars for business reasons, i couldn't get into a elise/exige till the guys at beverly hills lotus found a realistic lease through a private bank.

however, i hear Lotus is close to finalizing a deal with GMAC so they can be competitive with the Ethos-whatever thingie. they know in order to go after the likes of the 911, you need a factory lease program with an aggressive residual value. i hope they're able to pull it off.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
It makes sense to put the money into a new model rather than throw it away redesigning the old one (which though still a great car is getting old in Automotive terms).
Though I wonder if the 2ZZ engine will still be available for that long. Lotus appears to be the only car in the world now using it. I think the current styling will carry the car on for years to come, but they might have to make some powertrain changes.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Lotus has the styling upgrades when ready (see the Exige GT3)

As for the engine? Since Toyota isn't really building high performance 4-bangers anymore, I'd GUESS it'd be a GM engine (the Ecotec, for example) or a Ford engine (the kind used in Caterhams maybe?), but definitely something that is FI already to solve the power "problem".

Disclaimer: I'm not claiming to be nor trying to be an expert, just making speculations...

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
2008 - Eagle for 2009
2009 - Esprit for 2010
2010 - new Elise for 2011

My own opinion.
I think it was Arnie that mentioned a new Elise in 2011 also.

If only you knew someone that worked at Hethel.

:p

·
Registered
148 Posts
Longer, lower, wider.:crazyeyes

Sorry, just a flashback.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts