The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
It's an MC1 or something like that. Not a Lotus product. We've seen the Eagle out and about with something like a camping tent strapped on the front and rear, and the current shots of the Esprit test car still have the last generation bodywork on.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
It's an MC1 or something like that. Not a Lotus product. We've seen the Eagle out and about with something like a camping tent strapped on the front and rear, and the current shots of the Esprit test car still have the last generation bodywork on.
I still think that's the next Esprit. Too many Lotus design elements.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I still think that's the next Esprit. Too many Lotus design elements.
If it is, they've pulled a hell of a con job.

Autoblog and others said:
Spy shots of a mystery car being tested in the UK last year caused quite a commotion. Many speculated its identity, with the upcoming return of the Lotus Esprit or a new Lotus sportscar being the odds on favorite. All of those guesses are incorrect, as the identity of the mystery supercar has been revealed as the MCE MC1.

CAR magazine should be credited with the expert sleuthing that not only revealed the car's identity, but also brought to light a series of official renderings that show off the MC1's body, designed by David Hilton who also penned the Ford Focus RS and S-Max.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I still don't buy it. Doesn't look anything like the MCE MC1 renderings.
Take a good look at the sill and the door...looks the same to me:wave:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I don't think they look alike.

From what I can tell:
The openings in the front end are different.
The shape of the windshield where it meets the roof and door pillar are different.
There is something in the center of the roof on the MCE MC1 that isn't on the test car.
The C pillar on the MCE MC1 angles forward at the bottom and to the back at the top - the test car is the opposite.
The rear front wheel arch opens with the door on the MCE MC1 and there is a space between the wheel well and the door on the test car.
The test car has side mirrors - I have no idea what the MCE MC1 is doing for that.

I could go on and on but there are many differences between those two cars. Some subtle and minor - some more serious.

If that test car is the new Esprit (because its body lines match to the covered car photographed at the factory) then I'm afraid it will look outdated before it is finally launched. It looks too influenced by Lamborghini and the R8 rather than any previous Esprit.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I don't know if I put a lot of faith in those renderings. They seem about as reality-based as most of the other concept illustrations we're shown, particularly with respect to lighting and pedestrian impact rules.

Given that the guys at Car magazine found that it was registered to C2P and MCE, I don't see much room for debate. Especially since we've seen the Eagle prototypes and the actual Esprit mule both wearing Lotus-appropriate plates.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
That's not the new Esprit...it's a new Spectre project car...

see the link below:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mystery-lotus-not-a-lotus-at-all.html
I think Lotus is pulling a fast one. The picture was reportedly taken at the Lotus paint booth. Maybe they're using the registration data to throw auto journalists off track.

The other dead giveaway, (besides the strong Lotus design cues) is the fact that this "mule" has better fit, finish and design quality than ANYTHING Spectre has ever produced. Have you seen their cars? I've seen kit cars with better quality.

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
I think Lotus is pulling a fast one. The picture was reportedly taken at the Lotus paint booth. Maybe they're using the registration data to throw auto journalists off track.

The other dead giveaway, (besides the strong Lotus design cues) is the fact that this "mule" has better fit, finish and design quality than ANYTHING Spectre has ever produced. Have you seen their cars? I've seen kit cars with better quality.

Perhaps...However...that car was equipped w/a 7.0 liter engine. That doesn't look like something Lotus would do.

BTW...because I actually like the design of that car. I checked w/some reliable sources from the Lotus HQ in UK. The answer I got was...no that's not the new Esprit.

Alan

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
If that rear end doesn't scream "Lotus", I don't know what does. I guess none of us really know for sure... until either the Spectre or the Esprit make their debut!

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Pretty sure it's not a Spectre. The current thinking on the Car website is that either C2P or MCE registered it as a Spectre to confuse people.

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
Well...I wish it's the new Esprit, I really like the design of this car better than other rendering photos I've seen out there.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
more pics of the MCE MC1 rendered prototype. It is very important to realize that conceptual renderings are only meant to represent the flavor" of the vehicle and the details likely will change to allow the vehicle to conform to regulations.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Views from a designers prospective

Guys,

THe A pillars and the hoodline intersection has waay too much angle to be called a "wedge" shape. I doubt that Lotus would keep telling everyone that they are "keeping the wedge" to do a shape like this. Also, if you notice in the rear photos of the engine compartment, it looks like the exhaust is a coated set of headers, going out to the exhaust tips... kinda reminiscent of the older can am cars exhaust setup from the 70's.... kinda weird to see so much horizontal extension away from the engine on this... Doesn't BMW's 4.8 have a lot tighter hugging exhaust manifolds, even on the turbo'd versions? I doubt that Lotus would have separated the exhausts that much, especially with the "save every ounce of weight" mantra.

I, personally hope that this shape has nothing to do with the new Esprit, as it already looks like a "yawner" for it's styling. also too beetle backed, rounded top to be thought of as cutting edge, aggressive... I'd personally like it to be less conservative and go with statement making folded paper lines... the Reventon did a pretty good job with this, and if you look at the Bertone and other "Extreme Wedge" cars of the 70's, that look should come back in force... Give me the Lancia Stratos concept any day over these "modern" techno-bubbles :D

Paul W
94 S4
highly modded 85TE

·
Registered
41 Posts
oops, here's the attached pics

Here's a car I designed and am building right now in my studios, with an extreme wedge shape, but also working with the rounded, modern look.... I superimposed my running frame over the solid body buck. We will be making molds of the buck in the next month or so. The rolling frame with engine weighs 1450 pounds right now... goal is a total weight car of about 2500 pounds.

Also, here's a pic of my black/purple 85 TE after cutting in the extra naca ducts for the intercooler radiators

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts