The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
likes to drive fast
1,128 Posts
So when the Starshield is applied when a car is imported, the headlights aren't covered?
Nope.

Also it's a great idea to cover the aux panel (where you pop it to check brake fluid) and the two access panels that flank left and right of this panel.

Btw SS is not the best film out there either. They do yellow out quicker too. Their installers usually rush through the job even when performing warranty work. And yes, sometimes dirt do get trapped under the films.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Lotus is now saying that fogging headlights are normal and will not replace them anymore. They say there is a hole to let water out and some moisture can then get in but the DRL will dry them out and we'll all live in harmony.

Hmm..........that warranty bill for quality issues must be killing them financially.

·
Premium Member
7,060 Posts
Its actually true. Many headlight s can fog due to temp differentials in and out and they have a hole to allow pressures, etc to equalize. Just happens to be more of a problem in humid climates. Surprised they were changing headlights for some fogging.... Peeling is entirely different

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
If they are going to not seal them, the head lamps should be designed to allow owners to clean them from the inside. It's a problem.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Right on Squid!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't have the fogging issue (yet), but noticed my passengers side light started pealing this weekend. Called the dealer this morning and they said they would start the warranty process.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the clear Bra on my headlights and now the coating has started to peel off around the edges of the headlamp. Anything that the clear-bra is on top of is still ok. Doesn't really matter how I take care of the headlamp, it will peel.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I've already had mine fixed twice. Driver's side is beginning to peel again, a month after the last fix.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
BTW, upon completely dismantling one of my headlamps, I realize a couple of things.

First of all the assembly is laughable. Plastic "Lotus" chrome trim piece on the front doesn't mate well with the bottom housing and causes it to bow upward (your cars probably have this too). The lens was dust prone and was coated with a baked on layer which a scotch blue scouring pad cleared up. Then the glue job really shows the problem. There was a whole section that was completely missed getting the glue in the groove. I can see that if these were glued by a machine, then the machine must have missed this section all the other headlamps on the assembly line. I honestly can't see an assembly worker being THAT sloppy and completely disregarding it (although it's possible if it's British).

It's no wonder how moisture can enter the headlamp and fog it up! Anyway it's an easy fix with some RTV silicone or window-weld.

Anyway for those of you who have the fogging issue, here's a simple fix you can do:

1. Remove the rear rubber dust cap from the headlamp.
2. Grab some scissors, place the cap it over some dust filtration material and trace-cut around it.
3. Grab a hole punch and punch several holes in the dust cap.
4. put the filter material in the dust cap, and reinstall it.

This will moist air to exit the headlamp as temps rise, while preventing dust and bugs from entering the lamp.

Here are some photos to show you what I'm talking about:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Sorry for bumping, but I took my Evora to the dealer last week to have a taillight replaced - they washed it, causing extreme fogging/dirty water residue in both headlamps. Is there a clear answer on whether Lotus will replace them? I don't care whether they fix it or replace them, but it looks positively horrible right now.

I'm at the dealer right now having the other taillight replaced, and I guess they're going to send off pictures of the headlamps to Lotus to find out about replacement. I'm not comfortable attempting to fix them myself, and quite frankly, I shouldn't have to.

It's -really- bad and makes the car look awful...

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
my latest round of problems...both are peeling horribly. Looks like they're trying to figure something extreme out this time. Everytime it rains and then is sunny after this happens

hard to tell from the photos but under the peeling it is almost cloudy...convenient

·
Registered
801 Posts
Invictus,

My headlights look just like that too. My car is in with the dealer today, and they said they would replace the headlights. They're on back order, so time will tell.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'll take a picture of mine if I ever get my car back (my rack transplant didn't go well). They wet sanded the UV coating off and applied a clear bra material. Looks good during the day, left some swirl marks that were visible with the lights on during their first attempt. Haven't had a check since they worked on them last week to see if they got rid of the swirls.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
This is round three for me...had one replaced, all refinished multiple times. Already talked to the dealer looks like new lights this time.

I honestlyu wish it didn't take this I hate lotus having to pay

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Mine are still looking new having the simple plastic cover on them. Worth the investment to avoid having to refinish them in my eyes.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts