The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the history behind this type of defect? Any recommendations on repair procedure?

I was looking through listings of Evoras for sale and noticed this on a random other car. I have a very similar situation on mine.

There is a line across the top of each rear fender where the paint is rough, almost fibrous looking in areas, which directly lines up with a bulkhead below the surface.

I welcome any insight,

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
I've heard of the "dimples" on the rear clam but have not heard of lines like that. The theory for the dimple cause was that they were in a location where the clam exterior was attached to the interior structure.

"Dimples" On Rear Panels Behind Doors

There is no seam that I see on the exterior of the clam in that area.

However, it may be where the inner structure attaches. Is it located in relation to the front edge of the trunk area "bucket"?

·
Administrator
5,848 Posts
It's caused by adhesive bonding reaction on underside of clam. Most Elises have it right above the headlights.

·
Premium Member
7,541 Posts
I would say that was repaired.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
I would say it could be from a repair too, except DeltaV stated that he has seen it on another vehicle listed for sale. To me it would be odd that two vehicles have it in the same place due to repair vs manufacturing.

·
Premium Member
7,541 Posts
Never seen it before.

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
I have similar, rough-looking patches in almost the same spot on both sides of my rear clam. I assumed it was either a paint/clear coat flaw, or something attached on the back-side, in exactly the same area (aft of where the dimples are). Makes sense that it would be adhesive-related since there are some "catwalk reinforcement panels" adhered from the inside in that area.

Not sure how I'd go about fixing it; I'm guessing it would be a full rear clam strip/patch/repaint, so for now, it'll just stay some symmetrical ugly patches.

·
Registered
2010 Lotus Evora in BRG w/ Oyster. All options, 1 of 1.
69 Posts
That's actually my car, in the OP.

Yeah, it's rough looking.... those pictures do a great job of showing off the lines of what I assume is a bonding line from either the clam being assembled into one piece, or maybe some sort of adhesive affecting the gel coat on the fiberglass.

It can't really be felt on my car, its just a cosmetic thing.

·
Administrator
5,848 Posts
Here's one of many threads on it. It really isn't a big thing

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good timing for this post - I have a 2011 Evora S and I have the same defect on the passenger side rear fender - same location. Hard to get a good picture of it . . . you can see the distortion against the light coming through my garage door, but I can say it is the same as what the OP showed. I just got my car used end of April and the previous owner had no info on it either. I looked in the fender well underside after removing the liner, but I could not see any evidence of repair work being done to it. Not sure if this is something that can be polished down?.

·
Registered
2010 Lotus Evora in BRG w/ Oyster. All options, 1 of 1.
69 Posts
If you find out, let us know, lol.

The fiberglass guy I know said no way, but he doesn't know everything, he's pretty young.

·
Registered
2012 Lotus Evora Turbo
7 Posts
I own 3 Lotus Evora's and ALL of them have that exact mark on both sides. 2010, 2011 and 2012

My previous 4 did not have this issue. My current 3 are all graphite grey, none of them have previous repairs. Curious to know the root cause as well, never bugged me enough to fix them as i use them all routinely for different uses

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, thanks for all the great feedback!

I will clarify on a few points that were questioned above. The location of the defect is just aft the two rear-most side vents. This lines up exactly with an adhesive joint below to a bulkhead of some sort. The seamline is perfectly cross-car. It is on top and slightly down the side as in this picture:

I had two theories going in and I think you have confirmed what this is.

1) Shoddy repair
Possibly, my car had rear-end incident in its past and cracks had to be repaired in this location. I think this theory falls apart because there are too many examples of cars with similar problems. It's very hard to imagine all the repair shops worldwide performing uncannily similar shoddy repairs to this exact area in a repeatable fashion.

2) Adhesive problem from the factory
The adhesive used to attach the bulkhead below was not suited to the application or incorrectly applied. The car left the factory looking perfect but eventually, a chemical interaction between the clam and the adhesive below degraded the materials and became visible on the outer surface. The looks of the defect, showing the fiberglass fiber texture and the similar known problem on the Elise's make this my favorite explanation.

I didn't like the idea that my car might have had some undisclosed accident in it's past. I feel a bit better about this and in less of a rush to fix it.

Thanks again for all the info,

You guys are great

·
Registered
166 Posts
Looks to me like shrinkage over time, with dissimilar materials. A similar problem can occur when using rivets in fiberglass. I'm dealing with this right now with a project car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The adhesive used to attach the bulkhead below was not suited to the application or incorrectly applied. The car left the factory looking perfect but eventually, a chemical interaction between the clam and the adhesive below degraded the materials and became visible on the outer surface. The looks of the defect, showing the fiberglass fiber texture and the the similar known problem on the Elise's make this my favorite explanation.
My best is they either didn't allow sufficient time for the adhesive/catalyst to outgas or the formulation was off/wrong adhesive type. I've also seen this happening with surfboards when you try and cure them too quickly, at too high a temp, and the glass ends up failing super quick.

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
At least your blemishes are semi-lines; mine look like a blob on both sides:

PXL_20210719_023915639.jpg PXL_20210719_023951226.jpg

·
Registered
529 Posts
Alright, thanks for all the great feedback!

I will clarify on a few points that were questioned above. The location of the defect is just aft the two rear-most side vents. This lines up exactly with an adhesive joint below to a bulkhead of some sort. The seamline is perfectly cross-car. It is on top and slightly down the side as in this picture:
View attachment 1292481

I had two theories going in and I think you have confirmed what this is.

1) Shoddy repair
Possibly, my car had rear-end incident in its past and cracks had to be repaired in this location. I think this theory falls apart because there are too many examples of cars with similar problems. It's very hard to imagine all the repair shops worldwide performing uncannily similar shoddy repairs to this exact area in a repeatable fashion.

The adhesive used to attach the bulkhead below was not suited to the application or incorrectly applied. The car left the factory looking perfect but eventually, a chemical interaction between the clam and the adhesive below degraded the materials and became visible on the outer surface. The looks of the defect, showing the fiberglass fiber texture and the similar known problem on the Elise's make this my favorite explanation.

I didn't like the idea that my car might have had some undisclosed accident in it's past. I feel a bit better about this and in less of a rush to fix it.

Thanks again for all the info,

You guys are great
Had exact thing on left side of my 2012 S. I bought it new and there was no accident of any kind I can confirm. #2 is most likely the problem. Was not visible until about 3-4 years of ownership.

Reactions: DeltaV

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Yep..this seems to be the norm (botched Lotus job or not...it is very common). I've seen this question pop up in the past.....One day walking by the car and the light hits it just right and there's an "oh crap!" moment. :eek: I have these exact same lines on my Evora but both sides sadly. At least my Elise escaped the factory unscathed.

Reactions: DeltaV
1 - 20 of 25 Posts