The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
From what I could find on the Internets, based on my limited knowledge on the subject, it appears to be crazing, relating to the adhesive (Plexus MA290) and the fiberglass where it's attached to deforming. Of course the paint and clear coat can't really adapt to this, and ends up looking crinkled. Environmental conditions can impact it, as can stresses of the attached reinforcement panel, so there's a good chance only a small percentage of vehicles will exhibit this.

It seems to only affect fiberglass-bodied vehicles, as metal isn't affected by adhesives in the same way, nor are adhesives typically used when attaching things to metal bodies.

·
Administrator
5,849 Posts
Good timing for this post - I have a 2011 Evora S and I have the same defect on the passenger side rear fender - same location. Hard to get a good picture of it . . . you can see the distortion against the light coming through my garage door, but I can say it is the same as what the OP showed. I just got my car used end of April and the previous owner had no info on it either. I looked in the fender well underside after removing the liner, but I could not see any evidence of repair work being done to it. Not sure if this is something that can be polished down?.

View attachment 1292472
That can't be polished out and if the car was to get repainted the best way to address it would be to relieve that area and taper out 2X the width of the affected area and reglass.

Reactions: DeltaV

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I have an '11 Starlight Black, and have the same thing. When I purchased it from Wire Wheel, Hayes sent me pictures and he said he's seen it plenty of time. If you know Hayes, he isn't going to lie to you to get a sale. Too good of a reputation.

·
Registered
2011 Lotus Evora S - 2000 Honda Civic SiR Turbo
188 Posts
Add another one here. 2011 S. Same lines on both sides.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have owned two (2) S1 evoras and they both that exactly that fiberglass/paint defect at exactly the same spot. Neither has been repaired.

donour

21 - 25 of 25 Posts