The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi and happy 2020.

Is there an easy way to determine if my car has the original shifter and cables or the updated 2012 version?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
I believe they changed the color of the shifter cables in the 2012+

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
They did change the color to blue so that is an easy visual check. What is prompting your question? Are you having a hard time shifting between 2-3/3-2, cables binding or not returning stick to center?

I had mine swapped out under warranty for binding issues and accurate shifts several years ago. Once swapped out, made a big difference.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is prompting your question? Are you having a hard time shifting between 2-3/3-2, cables binding or not returning stick to center?
Good question and one I should have answered in my orginal post. I am trying to determine if I the
OEM Upgrade Kit was installed prior to my purchase. I bought the car a bit more than two years ago and wasn't impressed with the shifter so bought the upgrade kit assuming that was 'the answer'. The new shifter is still sitting the shop and I've been enjoying the car. On the street the shifter is fine; on the track it could be better.

Okay, with that background I am trying to determine (with the least effort) if the car has the updated shifter or if I should plan to install the new one. Here is a photo of the cable in the engine compartment (with the crack).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Look like mine before I left them in the dumpster, after I’ve got the Kinetic shift box and cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
Cable looks grey which is the old type. Blue cables are where it's at for oem.

You mention an updated shifter. There isn't one for the S1 evora.
The 400 does have a different shifter arrangement and it isn't an easy fit to an S1. It also is part of a complete exchange of location for the 400 cables at the gearbox end. Cables are different again.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
IIRC, Lotus did offer the MY12+ shifter and cables as sort of an "OEM upgrade" for a short while after it was determined the 09-11 shifter and cables weren't satisfactory for early owners. I think some even got it swapped for free under warranty.

They are separate part #s, and I believe there are some mounting differences, but they all still include the blue ball at the end of the shift lever shaft (susceptible to "blue ball syndrome"); the MY12+ lever can be replaced separately, whereas the early ones have to be purchased with the entire shifter assembly.

·
Registered
247 Posts
When my car was being worked on at Lotus and I had the 400 flywheel, clutch and lsd fitted, they would not fit the 400 front shifter kit and rear gearbox connection kit because of the time required to strip and modify the existing assembly. I don't know of any S1's that have had the 400 assembly fitted by Lotus themselves. It would be interesting to hear of any that have and who did the work. Perhaps some dealers have carried out susch work?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Cable looks grey which is the old type. Blue cables are where it's at for oem.

You mention an updated shifter. There isn't one for the S1 evora.
Bruss mon ami, you're correct that the 2012 blue cables are the upgraded ones for S1 cars.

However they came as part of a whole new shift assembly, which did in fact have some improvements from the original 2010-2011. (I know this because I was one of the first to upgrade.) So it's not wrong to say that there's an improved 2012+ S1 shifter.

And the 4xx shifter was something else entirely, as you say, and as noted by several folks it is not an easy retrofit to pre-4xx cars.

So, three shifters:
-- 2010-11 S1 (grey cables)
-- 2012+ S1 (blue cables)
-- 4xx

HTH,
WoH

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ah, thanks for that. I'd missed the upgraded S1 shifter mech. Was that the one for the broken ball problem?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Ah, thanks for that. I'd missed the upgraded S1 shifter mech. Was that the one for the broken ball problem?
That would have made sense, but I think even the updated 2012 S1 shifter still had a plastic ball in it. Perhaps Lotus prefers to fix one problem at a time...

Or perhaps it was still plastic, but better plastic? Mine has never failed. ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bruss mon ami, you're correct that the 2012 blue cables are the upgraded ones for S1 cars.

However they came as part of a whole new shift assembly, which did in fact have some improvements from the original 2010-2011. (I know this because I was one of the first to upgrade.) So it's not wrong to say that there's an improved 2012+ S1 shifter.

And the 4xx shifter was something else entirely, as you say, and as noted by several folks it is not an easy retrofit to pre-4xx cars.

So, three shifters:
-- 2010-11 S1 (grey cables)
-- 2012+ S1 (blue cables)
-- 4xx

HTH,
WoH
Now I am more confused. The ‘upgraded S1 shifter’ I have, but have not installed, has gray cables.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You need to check with your supplier. I am only familiar with the Lotus product. The aftermarket suppliers will have their own versions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts