The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'm just full of questions and I think it's great you are willing to help out.

I have the Alpine PMD-B200 with Nav that came stock in my 2010 Evora. So far I have had a few small problems, the hand held GPS got stuck and would not come out as well as it needs updated info. I was told that Lotus has an up dated replacement but you loose the hand held portion but I would then be able to down load up dates.

My question is what was the problem people had with there Alpine systems or the reason why they are replacing this until. Should I get the updated system if they will do it under warranty?

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Mine goes in today for a Sat antenna replacement. The B200 doesn't locate satellites when plugged in. Amp quality is good but its a bit tricky to use while driving as you routinely arbitrarily hit adjacent buttons on screen. People don't like the tiny sub. Mine will get done someday. Unfortunately, many of them have had gremlins! like wrong region codes for DVDs etc.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
My question is what was the problem people had with there Alpine systems or the reason why they are replacing this until. Should I get the updated system if they will do it under warranty?
Should you? If course. Will you? no. Lotus won't upgrade you under warranty. They will simply give you
another unit of the same model--assuming it ever arrives.

The general complaint owners have had with the IVA-W505 models had to do mainly with its ease of use. Personally I had no real issues with that part. Mine were DVD region coding, and the blackbird unit connector (glitchy screen). But Ive never had issues removing the modules (I have both the NAV module as well as the PMD-B200)

·
Registered
163 Posts
The NAV is usually always on when I am driving and the radio just intermittently...haven't noticed any problem if I am having them...lol...too busy enjoying the ride here...Oh yeah...I'll have to try a DVD some day. ;)

·
Registered
586 Posts
I know there are a few threads on the crappy IVA-W505 Alpine unit . . . but this is the first one I found, so it's coming back from the dead.

Besides the poor design (the bluetooth and phone menus being embedded deeply in the NAV function menu, and the ridiculous lengths it took me to pair up my iPhone) . . . I'm having a problem that I'm not sure if it's an inherent design problem or something wrong or a setting I just couldn't find anywhere. I haven't figured out how to do the hand break access into a deeper settings menu yet.

The problem is the screen when in the NAV area (whether the actual GPS satnav or the telephone screen or NAV settings screen) is extremely dimmed out. It's borderline OK at night, but during the day is practically impossible to read. I'll post some pics, though they don't exactly show how dim the screen is in NAV mode.

Has anybody come across this, or figured out the display setting that affects only the NAV screens? I don't really want to lay out another lump of money for a new unit, but I'm starting to think I'm going to have to.

These were taken during daylight. One pic shows the radio screen, one shows what happens when I change the source to NAV and there are some settings with proper brightness and finally when I'm fully in a NAV screen.

edit: And they are randomly rotated upside down. So maybe the problem really is me. :wallbang:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
IIRC...and I don't have the tech pack so can't be sure..but this is tied to how the headunit is tied into the light switching in the car, and because of the US required DRLs it is always in night mode, but there is a way to override it or you can disable DRLs...

sorry sort of spitballing to help

·
Registered
586 Posts
Could be something jacked up like that. The Middle East gulf spec cars are apparently based off the European model, so no DRLs (thankfully).

Does anybody recall exactly how to access the super-secret menus on this ridiculous unit? I know it had something to do with the emergency brake, but the comment I found wasn't enough for me to figure it out.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Could be something jacked up like that. The Middle East gulf spec cars are apparently based off the European model, so no DRLs (thankfully).

Does anybody recall exactly how to access the super-secret menus on this ridiculous unit? I know it had something to do with the emergency brake, but the comment I found wasn't enough for me to figure it out.

Ignition switch on, (no need to have the engine running) foot on the foot brake, lower and raise the hand brake twice, foot off the foot brake eh voila

1 - 8 of 8 Posts