The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all,

I am a new member who posed a question last week about the difference between the 2012 and 2013 Evora S (manual). I have now zeroed in on a couple of possible buys--one is a new 2012 S listed at $75,888 (can probably negotiate down somewhat), and one is a new 2011 that I'm very confident I can get for at least $10,000 less.

While I'd love to save $10K, my main goal is to get the best driving experience possible. Have any of you out there driven both the '11 and '12 Evora S manuals, and have any thoughts/recommendations on the differences between the two? (Note that I have already been provided with a factory list of the changes from MY '11 to '12--I'd like to hear more of an apples-to-apples driving comparison.)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
From a driving perspective both cars are identical. However, the 2012 improvements did raise the quality quite a bit. Probably the most important difference from a drivers perspective are the shift cables, so you may want to have those upgraded (a 3k $ job). And maybe the 2012 steering wheel (which is a bit better).

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
If the dealer hasn't upgraded the shift cables or the car doesn't already have the upgraded cables, the dealer should do this free of charge. Honestly, the biggest difference you'll find between the two years is that the 2012s and later have a much better interior.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Just got out of a 2013 (essentially a 2012) after a 40 mile drive. Interior improved in many ways for sure. Other than that, the 2012+ has a better access to the battery. That's about it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
A $ 10 K savings is great, However look for the best color combo that works for you. A color that you don't like, is still a color you don't like even with $10 K in your account. All things being equal, go for the newer car.
Ron:shift:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A $ 10 K savings is great, However look for the best color combo that works for you. A color that you don't like, is still a color you don't like even with $10 K in your account. All things being equal, go for the newer car.
Seems like most are saying that the main difference is the interior. I notice you own a 2011. How do you like the interior, all things considered?

(I definitely agree with you on color.)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, My 2012 is louder/noisier, the exhaust was changed a little bit (delete of the third cat when I remember right) - sitting in the cabin the sound is better in my eyes

My12 (in Europe) has a footrest which I like a lot better than driving without in MY11 (but I think the MY 12 in the US has no one, but you could install it afterwards, no really big thing I guess)

Whatever you choose it is not wrong :) (esp as a manual in my eyes, up to personal taste of course)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Seems like most are saying that the main difference is the interior. I notice you own a 2011. How do you like the interior, all things considered?

I love my Evora's interior. The few things that I did not like, I updated.
I had my door handls covered in leather (the top photo is my car. The lower photo if of the 2012 Evora at the LA Auto show). I also added the dead pedal from the 2012 / 2013 Evora's. I did replace my Alpine head unit earlier this year. I bought the Alpine W927HD. There are posts on each of these update on this forum. If I could the only other thing that I would change, would have been the interior color. I wish they had a rich Tan leather color that I could have oredered back in mid 2010. the Oyster in nice, but it would have not been my first choice. I just don't like Black, and the Red would not have worked with my Canyon Red paint. I also bought a set of the 19" & 20" rims for my car. I love them, they really make it look way cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Driven them all multiple times...and I own an '11 S...there is no discernible difference in the cars. As posted...the shift cables should be updated...other than that you would have no clue about the "driving" experience difference in these cars...they all rock.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Also, the late 2011 have the updated shifter cables. You'd probably have to drive the 2011 to find out - unless someone here knows what VIN's have the updated shifter cables?

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my car's interior. The instrument cluster and driver's door latch were replaced under warranty, and I replaced the head unit also. No other issues with interior stuff.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
warranty periods different? the 2011 is a year older - it is worth less as opposed to just costing less.

i go with the old Porsche adage, always get the newest one u can afford.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Warranties on left over 2011s where punched on 12/28/12.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
fwiw...there are 4 different shifter cables in the system...so they have been updated several times along the model years, the most dramatic being the change in the 2011-2012 model year.

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
Also, the late 2011 have the updated shifter cables. You'd probably have to drive the 2011 to find out - unless someone here knows what VIN's have the updated shifter cables?
There are 3 sets of shifter cables original, newer update and all new 12 and beyond. While you should be able to get dealer to upgrade original to the updated version that do offer an improvement, you would be dam lucky to convince them to update to the all new from shifter to cables Motorsports based '12+ cables set. A warranty involves fixing issues not updating a car to the latest specs. Other differences in '12 are improved clutch master cylinder, i
Proved oil cooling including not having thus lingering oil line routing recall issue.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
i was able to get the latest cable model based on a warranty issue. Mine were consistently coming out of adjustment, so after 4 adjustments and countless hours spent, Lotus agreed on the new cables.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
I'm not sure if you guys agree with me, but the gearbox is definitely this car's major weak point. I have the newer cables, but it's still crap compared to other cars (including the Elise). Just thought the OP should be aware of this.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

One other poin about my 2011 Evora. My car is a June / July 2010 build. this was when they added the first shift linkage update. I have drieven early 2010 Evora's and mine of course. There is a difference not huge, but one none the less. I have not driven a 2012 or newer Evora however. Just my $0.02.
Ron

1 - 20 of 25 Posts