The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a break from tradition, future BMW M models may come with turbocharged engines. Until now the M Division has always had a preference for high-revving naturally aspirated engines, but instead of the 500bhp V10 in the current M5, its successor is said to be getting a twin-turbo V8.

The unit will be a variation of the 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8 currently offered in the X6 and is said to be good for more than 536bhp. This is also the engine rumoured to be heading for the new Lotus Esprit, due in 2011.:drool:

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
In a break from tradition, future BMW M models may come with turbocharged engines. Until now the M Division has always had a preference for high-revving naturally aspirated engines, but instead of the 500bhp V10 in the current M5, its successor is said to be getting a twin-turbo V8.

The unit will be a variation of the 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8 currently offered in the X6 and is said to be good for more than 536bhp. This is also the engine rumoured to be heading for the new Lotus Esprit, due in 2011.:drool:
That image looks like the S62 engine from the Z8/E39 M5. Is that the engine they've been adding turbos to for the X6?

Edit:

Looks like that's the N63 engine.

from John G.Burns Home Page - BMW,

The N62 was BMWs Valvetronic V8 and was launched in 2003. There were 3.6, 4.0, 4.4 and 4.8 version producing up to 367bhp.

In 2008 the N63 was announced for the new X6. This was a new reverse flow V8! Twin turbos are in the V8 valley, intakes are at the sides to improve packaging. A very novel concept producing over 400bhp and 450lb/ft of torque.

The E39 M5 was launched with Motorsport's first V8. A 4.9 called the S62. It developed 400bhp and was well regarded. It's only real problems are it's thirst for both petrol, rather expensive oil and clutches. An 850CSi clutch is a good upgrade apparently. The S62 was also used in the Z8 roadster.

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Click on those pics to make them bigger. Beautiful

:drool:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
we will see more mfgrs going to turbos, which allow lower displacement engines...which will increase gas mileage.

didn't Mercedes recently announce they are going to do this?

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
we will see more mfgrs going to turbos, which allow lower displacement engines...which will increase gas mileage.

didn't Mercedes recently announce they are going to do this?
ford has anouced it for sure.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I highly doubt they will be going with a non Toyota powerplant.

Yota has two V8's capable (the 2UR-GSE and 2UR-FSE) and my guess is it will be a tuned GSE:

The 2UR-GSE is a 5 liter (4969 cc) engine and powers the Lexus IS-F. It has D-4S gasoline direct injection, dual VVT-i, and VVT-iE on the intake. Bore of 94 mm and stroke of 89.5 mm, it will produce 423 PS (417 hp/311 kW) at 6,600 RPM and 51.5 kg·m (505 N·m/373 ft·lbf) at 5,200 RPM.
High revs, 400+hp NA, and a lot of torque.

Moving to any other manufacturer just doesn't make any sense. This is even further backed up by the Evora powerplant. Sticking with Toyota is a smart business move, and they have the technology and range needed to power the entire lineup of Lotus offerings.

My prediction is a 440hp base model NA Esprit, followed by a 550/600 HP SC or TT variant.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I highly doubt they will be going with a non Toyota powerplant.

Yota has two V8's capable (the 2UR-GSE and 2UR-FSE) and my guess is it will be a tuned GSE:

High revs, 400+hp NA, and a lot of torque.

Moving to any other manufacturer just doesn't make any sense. This is even further backed up by the Evora powerplant. Sticking with Toyota is a smart business move, and they have the technology and range needed to power the entire lineup of Lotus offerings.

My prediction is a 440hp base model NA Esprit, followed by a 550/600 HP SC or TT variant.
I think they will probably just skip to the Twin turbo model

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
And on top of that, the most obvious caveat to using a Toyota motor is that Esprit buyers are NOT GOING TO WANT A TOYOTA MOTOR IN THEIR SUPER CAR.

Talk to Lamborghini guys or exotic sports car guys. Many of them are anxiously awaiting the Esprit. This is not the typical Lotus buyer. At least a BMW engine is a respectable engine (Toyota motors are good too, but it's about image).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts