The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im kind of stuck, there is two cars in my area both the exact same price. Car one is a 2011 Elise hard top with 135k kms and car two is a soft top 2006 with 43k. Any input as to why I would choose one over another?

Both are in great shape but the 2006 does have a 15k insurance claim. I spoke with the previous owner (its at a dealership now) and it was not structural.

Any input?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Which body-style do you prefer? Thats probably the biggest difference outside of age/mileage. Also, the 2011 interior should feel a bit more 'finished'. By that, I mean by 2011, the center console should be leather-covered, the shift and e-brake boots are little nicer, there are some additional finishing touches throughout. Also the black gauge cluster. Most people also seem to prefer the mesh over the strakes when it comes to the exterior styling.

I think I would typically opt for lower mileage, over later model, but the insurance claim is definitely a consideration as well.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I'd pick the 2011. It is 5 model years newer so it will keep its value better I think. 135,000 km is peanuts for a Toyota engine. My 2009 Elise has 270,000 km and my previous car, a 1984 Corolla had slightly over 400,000 km.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Agreed. The newer one gets you five extra years of not having to deal with glue, velcro and other adhesives in the car degenerating. That's the most annoying thing I find about my Elise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My only concern is at 132km there is not alot of room to drive it alot before the depreciation really kicks into overdrive.

Regarding the body style, I prefer the 2011 with the longer hood and headlights.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My only concern is at 132km there is not alot of room to drive it alot before the depreciation really kicks into overdrive.

Regarding the body style, I prefer the 2011 with the longer hood and headlights.
Might be wrong but I would have thought at 132k ks the depreciation has already set in. I would say that come to resale that people would be more scared of the crash damage than kilometers. At least for me anyway, I can check whats worn or how much life things have left, if its been well maintained etc. That scares me less than knowing its had damage repairs that I cant see.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might be wrong but I would have thought at 132k ks the depreciation has already set in. I would say that come to resale that people would be more scared of the crash damage than kilometers. At least for me anyway, I can check whats worn or how much life things have left, if its been well maintained etc. That scares me less than knowing its had damage repairs that I cant see.
I don’t think there would be many buyers for a 200k KMs Lotus. I could be wrong also but it seems like most people are looking for low KMs.

That being said I don’t plan on selling it anytime soon but you never know really

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don’t think there would be many buyers for a 200k KMs Lotus. I could be wrong also but it seems like most people are looking for low KMs.

That being said I don’t plan on selling it anytime soon but you never know really
Yeah true. 200km would be a lot. But 132km is also a lot. So you should be getting a good discount already.

·
Registered
243 Posts
fellow canadian here

2011 elise is "rarer" with the newer claim shell, headlights, etc which was only available for one year in North America. it will very be hard to find aftermarket exterior parts. take front aero/spoiler for example, you will not find any aftermarket options for 2011+ elises. Also almost all the 2011+ exterior parts are more expensive than the pre 2011. all mechanical, interior bits are the same however

if you want an "unique looking elise", get the 2011. If you want more forum or aftermarket support for exterior bits, get the 2006.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fellow canadian here

2011 elise is "rarer" with the newer claim shell, headlights, etc which was only available for one year in North America. it will very be hard to find aftermarket exterior parts. take front aero/spoiler for example, you will not find any aftermarket options for 2011+ elises. Also almost all the 2011+ exterior parts are more expensive than the pre 2011. all mechanical, interior bits are the same however

if you want an "unique looking elise", get the 2011. If you want more forum or aftermarket support for exterior bits, get the 2006.
Good advise, just a little stuck on the km's.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Im kind of stuck, there is two cars in my area both the exact same price. Car one is a 2011 Elise hard top with 135k kms and car two is a soft top 2006 with 43k. Any input as to why I would choose one over another?

Both are in great shape but the 2006 does have a 15k insurance claim. I spoke with the previous owner (its at a dealership now) and it was not structural.

Any input?
Personally, I wouldn’t buy any of the two. I’d wait for a better one. I was on the hunt for almost 2 years and got a 2007 Elise. I would not rush. Take your time. BTW, I’m not sure why ‘my’ silver Elise (not mine anymore) that I traded in 3 days ago for a different British car hasn’t been posted yet on Autotrader. Outstanding condition, low mileage of 27K (no accidents).
As I said, maybe consider waiting for the one you don’t feel you compromise. Cheers.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would disagree with Toronto that there would be a better car to get then the 06, it was mine and was fantastic, unless you find one with a better supercharger like a BOE. There is a black one on kijiji that has a BWR SC, not sure which though.
Read up on the stock SC, for me it was fine as I didn't want to go faster but everyone here thinks it kinda sucks.
I met the guy who owned the 11 before I bought the 06. Said he would sell it to me for 75k and all the miles were from driving to Florida. I bought that one instead.

Toronto which dealer did your car go to?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Personally, I wouldn’t buy any of the two. I’d wait for a better one. I was on the hunt for almost 2 years and got a 2007 Elise. I would not rush. Take your time. BTW, I’m not sure why ‘my’ silver Elise (not mine anymore) that I traded in 3 days ago for a different British car hasn’t been posted yet on Autotrader. Outstanding condition, low mileage of 27K (no accidents).
As I said, maybe consider waiting for the one you don’t feel you compromise. Cheers.
I spoke with with the dealer who has your car. Thanks again for the information.

He mentioned he wants 53k for it so not far off from the asking on the 06 SC model.

I’m going to take a look at it this weekend.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dear
I would disagree with Toronto that there would be a better car to get then the 06, it was mine and was fantastic, unless you find one with a better supercharger like a BOE. There is a black one on kijiji that has a BWR SC, not sure which though.
Read up on the stock SC, for me it was fine as I didn't want to go faster but everyone here thinks it kinda sucks.
I met the guy who owned the 11 before I bought the 06. Said he would sell it to me for 75k and all the miles were from driving to Florida. I bought that one instead.

Toronto which dealer
I spoke with with the dealer who has your car. Thanks again for the information.

He mentioned he wants 53k for it so not far off from the asking on the 06 SC model.

I’m going to take a look at it this weekend.
Awesome! If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. Really awesome car, unless you want a SC. I am sad to let it go. Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts

Toronto which dealer did your car go to?
Dear Xianzai,
No offense, mine is better....Just kidding... :) Mine is not SC and no mods, just a new radiator shipped from the UK that I replaced in order to avoid issues with the original infamous radiator.
3 days ago I left my Elise with a small-volume high-end cars dealer in Scarborough, ON- Autolook Fine Cars. He had a unique car that had to be mine... Couldn't afford having a daily driver plus 2 fun cars, so had to let the Lotus go for the preowned Vantage. I’m sure you’re super enjoying your Elise as I’ve read your posts before. All the best, Yehuda (Toronto).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts